Cloud Nine TheO and my love of big hair

by Hair Romance on March 2, 2011 · 16 comments

in Big Hair,Hair Products,Hair Style Advice

I love big hair.

Despite fighting my curls for so long, I have always loved big hair. I was poker straight for a while but I have since come back round to the idea that volume is a good thing. Plus, I have a theory that the bigger the hair, the smaller your hips look. It’s all about proportion, ladies.

So, if you’re not blessed with lots of hair, what do you do?

Meet TheO by Cloud Nine. It’s genius.

Ever since I heard about TheO, I have wanted to try it for myself. I have lots of hair but making it bouncy and shiny does not come naturally. I experienced TheO last Friday by the lovely Danae at Headcase Hair in Paddington and I am hooked.

What is TheO?

TheO is a heated Velcro roller system from the brilliant minds at Cloud Nine. Sounds simple but it’s a revolutionary hair idea. Basically they have cleverly redesigned the humble Velcro roller to heat up from the inside out using an induction heating system. Pop a roller in the pod and in 4 seconds it’s ready to roll and heats up in your hair, not in your hand.

Why is this such a good thing?

TheO is faster and easier than hot rollers. And it uses less power. It’s a triple threat.

There’s no burning your fingers as with hot rollers, and rushing to put them all in before they cool down. There’s no fiddling with clips and then having to apply heat as with traditional Velcro rollers. I have both hot rollers and Velcro rollers in a box gathering dust as they are fiddly and I never have the time to use them.

A bonus I noticed with TheO was that it imparts more shine to my hair than I expected from rollers.

The lovely Danae at Headcase Hair
TheO in action
My big bouncy curls

How do I use it?

1. Put a roller inside the pod and it heats up in 4 seconds. The rollers heat up from the inside out so you can handle them easily.
  2. Roll sections of hair around each roller, starting from the top of your head. Continue with the back and sides from the top down.
  3. Spray your hair with a medium weight hairspray and let the rollers cool down in your hair. This only takes about 10 minutes. You can tell when it’s done as there is a little dot at the side of the roller that turns red when it’s hot and back to black when it’s done.
  4. Remove the rollers, gently brush and style.

Why do I want it?

I love big hair.

I also love volume and movement in hair.

This is the styling accessory for me.

If you like the same things as me, you will love TheO.

But TheO is not just about big hair.

It’s for bouncy Victoria’s Secret hair, gorgeous Hollywood hair and it’s also perfect for rolling beach waves. Depending on the size of the roller you can get tight Mad Men curls, soft Marilyn Monroe waves, or Blake Lively big beachy waves.

TheO is all about volume and body in the hair. You can curl your hair with irons or wands but it won’t give you the same root lift and all over body unless you blow dry it really well before. And if you’re going to go to all that trouble, TheO is quicker, easier and smarter.

My husband loved this hair and I received a lot of compliments. Now, just to get TheO at home…

Have you tried TheO? What did you think? Do love big hair?

Note: My necklace is from Polli – check out their gorgeous jewellery and they have a cute blog too

Kat March 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that first pic! It's like natural glam!

Hair Romance March 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Kat, and can you believe the it lasted for 2 more days too!

little yellow apple March 3, 2011 at 2:44 am

I just came across your blog today and I'm in love! Someone had pinned a picture from your sweet pin and twist post on Pintrest. I've found some great new ways to style my hair, all thanks to you! I look forward to all the great stuff I'm going to learn from you! :)

Hair Romance March 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thanks Sarah xx

Marjorie Rose March 7, 2011 at 4:42 am

With my hair long, it's naturally "big" as in frizzy, curly and all over the place. So I cut it short.

I seriously wish I had straight hair..or just manageable hair. I'd do this in an instant!

Barbs March 9, 2011 at 4:21 am

Love it!!! So, my hair guru-would it work in my hair?? xx

Anonymous March 9, 2011 at 5:18 am

I LOVE your necklace!!!

Hair Romance March 9, 2011 at 10:20 am

Hi Marjorie Rose – I know the struggle! I had short hair for a while and loved it. So easy to look after. Growing it out was how I learnt to twist & pin.

Hair Romance March 9, 2011 at 10:21 am

Barbs – it would definitely work in your hair. It's so long now!

Hair Romance March 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

Hi Anon
Thanks! I just put a link in the post – it's from Polli – http://www.polli.com.au/pendants-1/stainless-steel/ss-tandem-necklace
Lovely Australian jewellery designers. I have SO much from them but always keep spotting new pieces I need…

Konstantine April 25, 2011 at 12:47 am

I'd love to buy one of these, but the website has no information about where you can actually find TheO for sale. Any ideas?

Hair Romance May 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

@Konstanntine – if you're in Australia you can call 1300 C9hair (1300 294247) or NZ 0800 252 530 to find your closest salon stockist.

Tina February 22, 2014 at 5:46 am

I bought the O as I loved the idea and read good reviews everywhere online.
I am totally disappointed. The smallest rollers leave a 3 cm bounce and the others don’t
have any waving or curling effect on my hair even with the styling spray.
The costumer service is also not answering my question, if my device is broken or if it can’t be used with long hair.

Hair Romance February 24, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Sorry to hear Tina, I would go back to where you bought it to check if there is a fault. Or maybe go to your salon and ask them for tips on how to use it in your hair.