The ten must-have hair products for fine haired girls

Today on Hair Romance is a special guest post from Personal Shopper, Stylist and Beauty Writer Ashleigh Sharman.

Ashleigh has fine hair that always looks fabulous and she has put together her top ten must-have products for fine hair.

Tangle Teezer Brush
One of my many ‘revelations’ for 2011, Tangle Teezer may not look like the prettiest brush in your collection but it’s oh so gentle on fine hair which can get into mighty fine knots every now and again (I also love to use it to distribute dry shampoo).

Kevin Murphy Angel Wash
I’ve been in love with this product for years and after trying many others I still come back to it, no wonder its Kevin Murphy’s best-seller (smells heavenly too!).

Kevin Murphy Angel Rinse
Who said fine-haired girls don’t need conditioner? This one is just light enough, angelic even.

L’Oréal Professional Fiberceutic Mask for Fine Hair
Another ‘revelation’! Words cannot express how much this product does for my hair on a weekly basis – there’s even one for your thick-haired friends.

Wella Professionals Style Primer
This is just a product that makes sense; you prime your skin, you prime your hair. I love to use this on its own though as it’s not as slippery as a serum and a little goes a long way.

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Styling Treatment Oil (lightweight)
I’ve found this is the best option when heat styling my hair as it really is what it says, lightweight.

Fudge Dry Shampoo
Some call me the dry shampoo Queen and this beauty, with its apple and coconut scent, remains my favourite.

Schwarzkopf Osis Dust It
If you’re a fine-haired girl and haven’t tried a dusting powder this will change your life! I use it to bulk up my natural curl at the ends or at the roots for mega volume.

EVO Builder’s Paradise Working Spray
I prefer a light hairspray with movement as there is no point telling fine-hair where to stay put, it also means I can change my style during the day without fuss.

Blackmores Hair, Skin and Nails Dietary Supplement
It’s not all about what you put on your hair, don’t forget to look at your diet and include a hair specific supplement.

Thank you Ashleigh! Some fantastic advice for styling fine hair and creating texture and volume in your fine locks.

Do you have fine hair? Have you tried any of these products? What are your HG products for fine hair?

Comments

1. Me, my best and I says

Someone recently gave me a Tangle Teeze, not something I would have ever bought but I cant be without it now! You have me totally sold on Fibreceutic and I need to get me a dust- had my eye on Avedas but will scope this one out too :)

2. Summer says

I completely agree about the Tangle Teezer, it's a miracle product – I'd be completely lost without mine! You got me really excited about trying a dusting powder, I've heard about them before, but have never tried one. I'll have to find one in stores now!

3. Amanda G says

Thanks for posting this! I've only been in Australia for two months and am still kind of lost when it comes to purchasing hair care and beauty products.

4. Anonymous says

Last summer I took a trip to St. Louis, MO. I was not looking forward to the humidity there. I took a trip to Sephora and asked one of the sales girls for a suggestion on shampoo and conditioner for frizzy hair,
    Immediately she suggested Shielo Hydrate Conditioner. She assured me that this product would work! I took her advice and bought the shampoo and also the Shielo Antioxidant Leave in Protector she suggested. I have to say Shielo products worked so well I now use them everyday! My hair did not get frizzy at all and stayed styled and was super shinny! My hair is fine and has some curl to it. It takes the frizz out and gives body.

5. Angel says

I just got the tangle teezer in the mail today, can’t wait to use it on my daughter’s (10 yr-old) hair. Would you recommend the above products for a child with thin hair or are they strictly for adults?
    Thanks and I love your website : )

6. Sarah flippo says

im 22 and my hair is very thin at my scalp and is slowly receding back :( after i had my baby the amount of hair that i was pulling/coming out like tripled! its now to the point where im pulling incredible amounts now. it comes out when i wet my hair, wash my hair, condition my hair, rinse out my hair, and more comes out when im brushing and still even more after im done brushing, and then it just keeps on fallin out through out the day and the process repeats every day! i already know i have a hyperthyroid condition and ive been on my meds for about 3 years now, i take a multivitamin and iron supplments everyday. is there anything else i can use to stimulate my hair to grow? or a different medicine i can ask for? a hair product or treatment?
    im up for anything, im too young to be going bald :(

Hi Sarah, It’s normal to lose hair after pregnancy, and combined with a thyroid condition would make it more noticeable. The post-partum shedding is very common and does go back to normal after a while. There are some new products on the market which I’m reviewing at the moment but I think getting a medical opinion will also help. Have a chat to your doctor and let them know about the changes. Christina x

• Susanna says

Hey Sarah, I agree with Christina about talking to your doc as your hair loss sounds severe. Definitely do that. When you are looking at products (along with advice from your doc) have a look at the Nioxin shampoo and conditioner range. I feel your pain with hair loss as I lost a lot of hair after having a baby, and already had thin hair. I tried Nioxin for noticeably thin hair (they have different stages) which is meant to promote hair growth. I bought mine from Price Attack. Now I don’t know about thickening my hair or hair growth but what I did notice was that I lost A LOT less hair in the shower and when combing. A significant difference to using my other shampoos and conditioners. It may be worth looking into it. X

• Mikkie says

I know that this was posted a while ago but wanted to post what has worked for me, I have had the same problem. Taking biotin has helped in my hair loss. always had thin hair, runs in my family. It takes a little bit to see results but stopped losing as much hair and started growing new hair.

7. Zohra says

Hi Sarah,
    Try an iron supplement, or have your blood iron levels checked by your GP.
    I’ve had the same severe hairloss during and after pregnancies and also when I was moving house, due to low iron levels.
    Your GP can also refer you to a dermatologist, who can also suggest other treatment if the iron doesn’t help.
    Good luck!
    Christina, love your site! All those braids, you make it look sooo easy!

8. Theresa says

My hair is straight as straight can be. No body at all! I have used anything I can find. Humidity hits my hair do goes flat. I can feel it crawling. I stand curling my hair for 30-40 minutes each morning. HELP!

9. Michelle says

I love love dry shampoo!! I’ve tried many different kinds but I keep going back to the cheapie Pssssst. It’s sold at Walgreens! It’s been around forever and only $7 a can. I’ve even tried the $40 bumble and bumble that still doesn’t compare! I’m excited to try the brush! On my shopping list :)

ooh that’s another product I’ll have to add to my US shopping list. I love it when you find a bargain product that works better than the more expensive ones x

Hi Alix, I’m sorry as I don’t think it’s available in the US. Any other dry shampoo will work well in your hair. Batiste and Klorane are great, and for a salon brand, Kerastase have a very lightweight dry shampoo.

10. uptowngirl says

I have thin fine hair, and I have tried everything under the sun to control my frizz! My hair always looks good, but it just takes forever to get it smooth and shiny………until I started using the Shielo Leave in Protectant. I use this product when my hair is still wet. WORKS WONDERS ON FRIZZ!! And since my hair is so fine and thin, I have to be very careful with using products that they don’t weight my hair down, AND THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WEIGH DOWN FINE/THIN HAIR! It is WONDERFUL. So if you’re the least big skeptical, DON’T BE, GO BUY IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF! You will be glad you did :)