How to tame fuzzy flyaways

My hair doesn’t stay this straight and smooth without help!

Do you suffer from the fuzzies? Do you get lots of fine flyaway hair creating that halo effect around your hair?

I do. Mine is a mix of new hair poking through, damaged hair from straightening irons and general humidity affected fuzziness from my curly hair. I usually notice it most when I go to the effort of straightening my hair, leave the house looking fab but in the hurried journey I arrive looking like I just fell out of bed.

So how do you tame flyaway hair?

I like to take a diversified approach and attack from all directions to defeat my wilful hair.

First – You have to target the source

• Use a moisturising shampoo and conditioner that is right for your hair type. Usually dry or coarse hair will suffer more from flyaways, so consider adding a weekly hair treatment to nurture your hair into a softer shape.

Second – Protect from heat damage

• Repeat after me – I will never ever use a straightener without heat protectant products! Please always use a product designed to protect your hair from heat damage when using irons and when blowdrying your hair too.

Third – Smooth it into submission

• Smooth your hair with a couple of drops of a gloss serum to smooth and add shine to your finished style.

My favourite styling trick

Spray hairspray onto your brush and then run it lightly through your hair. The hairspray will stick any flyaways down but it won’t give you a sticky finish.

But what do you do when you’re out all day and your hair starts to fuzz?

I have found the best product that you’ll want to keep in your handbag. I was sent the John Frieda Touch Up Flyaway Tamer for review and it has won a place in my handbag. It’s a light serum and you apply it with a mascara wand. I was intrigued when I saw it as I don’t know another product like it and I love how it works.

John Frieda Full Repair Flyaway Tamer – like mascara for your hair!

The mascara wand applicator only carries a small amount of product so it’s just right to catch those pesky flyaway hairs. Use it to touch up your part line and put those hairs back in place. I have also used this on my friend’s very fine hair to tidy up her hairline around her face. She has tonnes of superfine new hair growing on her hairline and this product smoothed them back.

This is perfect for on the go touch ups. The wand applicator means you don’t need to get your hands dirty so you can quickly fix your hair anywhere. This product is staying in my handbag.

Lightly touch up flyaways with the mascara wand applicator

Do you suffer from the dreaded fuzzies? What are your tricks for taming flyaway hair?

Comments

1. Gretchen says

Can you do a post specifically about heat protectant products? I never knew such a thing existed until you mentioned them.

2. Ms Styling You says

This is ingenious! I have shocking flyaways mainly caused my the re-growth that happens after my hair loss (thyroid issues). Need this product. Stat.

3. Anonymous says

This was a really helpful post, but I don't know about putting hairspray on your brush. Won't it be really sticky? What do you think about styling mousse? (I own all this stuff because I once won a Nivea Hair Care and Styling pack, but I don't know how to use it and yes – flyways are a huuuuge problem for me.

4. Me, my best and I says

Ive been thinking I need the John Frieda wand, I've got all these tufts of new growth sprouting which will be good when they grow but for now and fuzzy and wild around the temples!!

5. Avalon says

Ditto on the heat protection products! I use my diffuser on a low warm setting but now I'm worried I should still use some heat-protecting product.

6. Hair Romance says

@Aurelie D. – Thank you xx Hope it helps!

@Gretchen Great idea – will do. They can make a real difference when using straighteners and curlers

@Mr Styling You – you will love this Nikki, perfect to keep in your bag to tidy your hair during the day

@Anonymous – You only need to spray a very small amount of hairspray on your brush and it transfers to your hair. Try it and see! Mousse is great for creating volume and for shaping curls too.

@Me,my best and I – it's such a handy product

@Avalon – thanks, will definitely write about heat protectants. Diffusers are the most gentle heat so you should be fine without (but I use a volumising prod with heat protectant anyway)

7. Katherine says

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I suffer from the same curly hair, fine hair, damaged hair from straightening issue of flyaways and I will definitely be trying out your tips!!

8. Hair Romance says

@Annette @ Wellness WA – Thanks! No, the John Frieda product doesn't crisp up at all, it's still pliable

@Katherine – No problem! Have fun with your hair!

9. Amira says

I see it’s a hair tamer, I thought it was some kind of a perfume. Very convenient brush just like this one for all you have to do is apply it directly on your hair and that’s it. It won’t take you long facing the mirror and trying to fixed everything by barely using your hand.

10. Amy says

Does the wand work on the longer parts of your hair vs. just the hairline? My most problematic flyaways are about mid-way down my hair (at around the ear level) because I wore my hair in an tight ponytail while I was growing it out (oops!). My hair is naturally straight and I have it highlighted, so they really stand out.