What should you wear to the hairdresser?

Hair Romance hanging in salons – Follow me on Instagr.am to see what I get up to

What do you wear to the hairdresser, especially on your first visit to a new salon?

When you go to a new hairdresser, you expect them to create a new look for you. But how well can your new stylist know you in a consultation that lasts only a few minutes?

Your hair should reflect your personality. Of course there are certain styles that suit different face shapes but I believe it’s also in how you wear it.

Hairdressers are visual people. When you sit in their chair you expect them to understand you, and your hair, in two minutes flat. What you wear can offer visual clues to your personality so your hairdresser can draw a fuller picture of you.

I don’t mean that you should dress up, but you should make an effort to wear something that you love and that you like to wear often. Your hairstylist will be influenced by your look and that will help them decide what hairstyle or hair colour will suit you best.

When your stylist asks what products you use, they’re not trying to sell you something new (well, not always), they’re trying to understand how much time and money you invest in your hair. If you’re a wash and go kind of girl, tell them! Don’t pretend you use a lot of products or you may end up with a haircut that’s too hard to manage at home.

The visual hints you give your new stylist with your clothes and makeup will help them quickly work out if you’re more traditional, or will go for something more cutting edge. Your colourist can see what colours you like to wear and can suggest complementary hair colours that suit you and your wardrobe.

Remember a hair colour change can also alter how your whole wardrobe looks on you so bear this in mind!

As a side note, while I recommend wearing something you love to the salon, don’t make it something irreplaceable as accidents can happen. You can get wet while having your hair washed or get colour on your clothes.

What do your clothes say about you? Have you ever had to change your wardrobe after changing your hair colour?

Comments

1. updoprince says

Even though I am a guy, I like to wear feminine style clothing to my hair and nail appointments. Not sure why, but I feel more comfortable and it allows the stylist to be more creative.

2. Anonymous says

WHat an awesome and timely post! I have a hair appointment tomorrow and was thinking I would wear my more edgier pieces so that they wouldn't be reluctant to give me the edgier hair that I want!

Thanks for the advice!

About hair colour and clothing, I norally have dark brown hair but when I have highlights through it I tend to wear more coppers as far as my jewlery is concerned and less light pinks and other pastel colours in my clothing. I don't know why I do this but I feel pastels look better on me when my hair is darker! As for the accessories, I have no idea why I tend to wear more coppers and golds!

3. Katy_Potaty says

This is such perfect timing – I'm getting my hair done tomorrow, at a new salon, and I was trying to get together a little inspiration board of my lifestyle to help convey what I want!

4. Annette @ Wellness WA says

I tend to wear something old to hair appointments where I'm getting a colour, as I'm worried about it getting ruined by a rogue splash of dye!

5. Clare says

Someone told me once that the most important thing you can wear to the hairdresser is a good pair of shoes, because when you're covered with the black sheet thing, your shoes are all they can see.

I always wear my converse to hair appointments now – I need my HD to know I'm a no-fuss, CBF kind of girl and they should cut my hair accordingly.

6. Katrina Chambers says

I did not know your blog existed until last week at Problogger. I love it! My sister and I will probably be your biggest stalkers now :)

Katrina from The Block.

7. Hair Romance says

@loulou – Stay tuned for Short Cut Saturdays – they'll make you love your short hair

@updoprince – you should always wear what you like, and I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to do so

@Anonymous – Have fun at the salon! I always wear more colour with darker hair too.

@Katy_Potaty – yay for salon appointments! Have fun x

@Becca – Thanks for commenting!

@Clare – So true, you do only see your shoes popping out from under the cape. I also like to wear my favourite lippie. Your no fuss hair always looks great!

@Katrina Chambers – Thank you! Shame I didn't get to meet you at Problogger, it was a crazy day!

8. Shani says

Hi I love your site so happy I stumbled across it. I am starting Hairdressing Cert2 next week I’m so excited about starting but also nervous as I really want to make a great impression and I’m stuck on what to wear and how to have my hair on my 1st day. I want to look like I have the fashion skills and also hair skills to fit in with the industry I know I have great taste I just don’t want to come across like I’m trying too hard lol please help any advice would be great

Good luck Shani! You’ll be great! Remember you’re there to work so don’t wear anything too precious or delicate. Don’t overthink it. Wear something you feel really comfortable in and your personality and style will shine through x