Braided upstyle – Hair Romance on Latest Hairstyles

by Hair Romance on December 14, 2011 · 15 comments

in Hair Style Advice,My Hair,Press

Looking for a different upstyle for the holiday season? This dutch braided upstyle is perfect for any party.

Last week I was asked to guest post on Latest Hairstyles. I wrote a tutorial for this gorgeous style based on this video tutorial from the amazing Lillith Dark Moon. Please head over to Latest Hairstyles to see my guest post and Lillian’s video will show you exactly how to achieve this braid. Today I thought I’d share some more photos on how to finish this look. Pulling out the braid and loosening it makes such a difference. It makes your hair look so much thicker, and really emphasises the braid.

This is much easier to do than it looks, I hope you give it a try for your next party. Let me know if you do!

Miss Scarlett December 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Easier than it looks?!

Oh my – I can’t even begin to braid my hair so tidily, and with layered pieces (not sure if that makes sense).
You look gorgeous! and I adore your bow tie sleeve tops.

Do you have tips for helping braided hair stay in place for layered hair?

Hair Romance December 14, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Well, once you get the hang of braiding, it’s easy!
Depending on your hair, I find second day hair holds better in braids. Freshly washed hair is too ‘soft’. Also, don’t flat iron your hair. If your hair is super straight the ends tend to stick out and this will expose more of your layers.
Hope this helps xx

Blair December 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I totally adore this and will try this out when I get home from work later. So excited about how it will look. :D

Hair Romance December 15, 2011 at 12:26 am

Thanks Blair! Send me a photo xx

Blair December 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Of course, when I said I’d try it, I meant I’d have someone do it for me. :D

It didn’t turn out as good as on your photo. My braids were “thinner” than on the photo. My hair is so long so we just left the braids as is, without the “curled up” ends.

I’m going to try again (this time I mean **I** am going to do it myself lol) as I am in love with this style!

Megan December 16, 2011 at 12:18 am

I did this! You’re right, it was much easier than it looks…a lot of aesthetic bang for a your labor buck ;)

Hair Romance December 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Right! Thanks for trying it xx

Smileyfacegirl:D January 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I’m gonna try this hair style Tuesday 24……:D

Hair Romance January 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thank you! x

Ellen Michelle February 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm

This is really pretty! I’d love to see pictures of what it looks like from the front, and side (profile).

Hair Romance February 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Ellen!

Kate April 19, 2012 at 3:35 am

Awesome tutorial, thanks for sharing! I tried this on my sister.. who has long & thick hair with lots of layers, and it turned out perfectly…which was surprising as I thought the layers would be poking out everywhere! I sprayed her hair a bit with water to keep the layers in and it seemed to help! The style stayed in the whole day/night as well!

Hair Romance April 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thanks Kate! I have layers too. Another trick is to curl the end of your hair under before you start so they hold in the braid better. If your hair is really straight they tend to stick out and be more obvious.