The 2012 Golden Globe for Best Hair goes to…

by Hair Romance on January 17, 2012 · 29 comments

in Celebrity Hair

…Nicole Ritchie

Perfectly capturing the modern feel of this year’s 1960s hair trend, Nicole Ritchie’s hairdresser has performed miracles with hairpieces in creating this gravity defying hairstyle.

This is not to be attempted by beginners, and will require additional hair to achieve the volume, length and density required for this hairstyle.

Interestingly, it seems Nicole was paid to endorse her new hair, crediting Suave for her haircare when asked what she was wearing on the red carpet. A first for haircare product placement?

Best Supporting Accessory…

…The headband

The headband was already one of my trends for 2012 and its prevalence on the red carpet at the 2012 Golden Globes cements its place in your hair accessory wardrobe this year.

Jewelled headbands add a sense of glamour to a simple hairstyle, making them the easiest style to steal. Pair your headband with a ponytail or bun for a simple but chic updo.

Best use of hair as your best accessory…

…Julianne Moore

Proving that your hair is your best accessory, Julianne Moore is radiant on the red carpet. When your hair looks this good, a simple earring is all that’s required to finish your look.

Honorable Mentions…

…Zooey Deschanel

The girl of the moment who you can’t help but love nails the 1960s hair trend with this beautiful blowdry. Her hair is so shiny!

…Reese Witherspoon

I love that she’s dropped the big Dallas hair and gone for a softer style. Texture is another of my trend tips for 2012 and these waves look effortless.

…Kate Winslet

The deep side part is another trend pick for 2012. Love this softer chignon with a curly sideswept fringe.

…Rooney Mara

Rooney is new to the red carpet and she’s already made a mark with this sleek style. Similar to Kate Winslet, the deep side part is the focus, but all those flyaways are tamed with hairspray for this neat upstyle.

Who was your favourite on the Golden Globes red carpet?

Donna @ NappyDaze January 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

You read my mind – LOVED everything about Nicole Richie’s look and the headband effect was my other fave trend.

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

Great minds Donna x

Nadine January 17, 2012 at 7:42 am

I agree – Nicole’s hair is AMAZING.

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

She never puts a foot wrong anymore does she?

Kimberly January 17, 2012 at 7:56 am

I only popped in for a brief moment to see what the flurry was about. They were showing Reese on the carpet and I thought that her hair looked terribly messy. LOL I’d have been upset if I had paid a celebrity hairdresser for that look.

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

I know what you mean Kimberly but I give credit to Reese for just using her own hair and I love that loose texture (maybe because I can copy the look in my hair easily!)

Mollie Ruiz-Hopper January 17, 2012 at 8:09 am

LOVE the use of hair accessories at The Golden Globes! So elegant and chic.

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

Me too Mollie! 2012 is the year of the accessory.

nicole b. January 17, 2012 at 8:15 am

From head to toe, I loved Charlize Theron, Claire Danes, Angelina Jolie and Michelle Williams. xo.

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

I loved Angelina too, I thought she looked immaculate. Claire’s dress was beautiful but I wanted to change her hair just a little bit, less bun, more twist. That’s the only reason she didn’t make my list.

Kim-MArie January 17, 2012 at 8:21 am

I liked Reece’s hair but I think it was a disconnect with her frock.

Loved Julianne Moore’s hair and earrings. Swoon!

Zooey’s hair was positively reflective it was so shiny, and Kate perfectly nailed the artless glamour look.

My Favourite girl was Sarah Michelle Gellar, with honorable mention to her crazy cheerleader pony. Ryan Kwanten killed it in his velvet. Miaou!

Gilda Swinton was amazeballs. Worst dressed was Lea Michele in that travesty. Gross!

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

Great round up Kim-Marie, but Sarah Michelle Gellar? Really? ;) Poor Lea Michelle was posing a bit too hard.

Nadine January 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

OK, so before I jumped in the shower I had a half-arsed go at recreating Nicole’s do (my hair is really similar to hers, just shorter). I took the front half (from ear to ear) and divided it down the middle. I took the back half of my hair and pulled it up between the two front sections, then pulled the front sections tight underneath the back section. It was fairly easy and looked very convincing, BUT I haven’t yet figured out how to secure it . . might work with the right size claw clip. Pins would work if you have the right kind of hair (I don’t).

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

Go Nadine! It’s definitely a lof of pins, and they would have shaped the extensions just to fit this hairstyle. It’s an architectural feat of hair. Maybe I might have a go at recreating this too…

Jessica January 17, 2012 at 8:55 am

I love Charlize Theron’s entire look! I also enjoy Rooney Mara’s ensemble – but I tend to like most thing she wears.

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

Love Charlize. I’ve only just noticed Rooney Mara, and now I can’t stop looking at her!

Ange January 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Wow – Nicole’s hair looks fantastic. I missed the Golden Globes so thanks for sharing the photos. If only I could have a professional live-in hairdresser to do my hair every day… Ange

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thanks Ange. Having someone wash and style my hair for me all the time is my dream

Sarah the Stylist January 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I thoroughly fell in love with Evan Rachel Wood’s green bird of prey-esque gown. Gorgeous!

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I loved that dress too Sarah. I have been following Evan’s hair for a Short Cut Saturday post on how to grow out a pixie cut as she’s looking great.

Tanya January 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I love Nicole’s hair, I have always coveted the bridgette bardot style pony with back half of the head raised like that and I have never ever been able to achieve it :-(

Hair Romance January 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm

It’s ok Tanya, it’s not her hair! You can achieve it with extension if you really want this look. I prefer clip-in hair as it’s not permanent and won’t damage your real hair.

Tanya January 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

OMG really…you mean the raised bit is not her own hair!! No wonder all these years I have attempted in vain!

Hair Romance January 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

Secret stylist tricks! Don’t worry, I’m planning some hair extension posts so you can see how it’s done.