2012 Short Hair Trends – The Uneven Cut

Short Cut Saturday is back for 2012!

Over the next few weeks I’ll be picking the top trends for short hair for 2012. One of the biggest hair trends for 2012 is short hair, so I’m going to break it down into more styles you’ll want to try this year.

Short Hair Trend 1 – The Uneven Cut

I was tempted to call this the asymmetrical cut, but it has connotations of bad 90s hair for me. I think the key to this uneven cut is texture. Don’t be too polished. I like the 1960s feel of the last two images (which is also popular in longer styles in 2012).

The uneven cut is best if you have a natural wave or curl in your hair. This hairstyle loves a bit of product, such as KMS Sea Salt Spray or O&M Surf Bomb to really bring out the texture in your hair.

Do you think this will be a big hit in 2012? Or is this too messy for you?

Image 1 by Sam Ruttyn, Image 2 by Keadrick D. Washington, Image 3 by Alasdair McLellan, Image 4 unknown

Comments

1. Keri says

Mine’s kind of like this now, although I’ve been letting it grow back out. It’s one of those styles that LOOK easy – but in reality are hard to get looking JUST RIGHT. Plus, sometimes wearing a shirt or jacket will make the ends impossible to behave. I loved my hair like this – but it’s just too much work.

Like that effortless look that is actually specifically crafted to look easy? Haha, that’s “beach hair” in my hair.

2. says

I like it, though I think it takes a very edgy personality to properly pull it off. Having not an edgy personality and straight heavy hair probably takes me out of the running for this one :)

I always say hair should reflect your personality! Maybe you could take some of the 60s trends and work a bit of height into your crown and have a low ponytail? I’ll do some posts on the long hairstyle trends too.

3. says

I love these looks and yes, I think it’s something I can do as long as the cut still looked good as a straight, neat version (for my neat freak days!) x

I say some sea salt spray (like O&M Surf bomb) is perfect for your hair. Keep the cut neat, but mess it up when you feel like it x

4. jen says

i <3 short cut saturdays, especially when you do hair tutorials aimed at shorter hair =) i pretty much have the cut in the 2nd picture, short with lots & lots of layers (but not a blunt a-line, just a beautiful mess) and i love it! i can spend lots of time styling it or i can roll out of bed & it still looks good =)

5. Dawn says

I wonder hwo this would do with naturally ringlet-y curly hair… If it may be okay then I may have found my new style! It’s semi-timeless and coudl be done long enough to pull the front pieces back if need be… Maybe even a thick eyebrow length bang! Wow! Thanks for the inspiration! Oh, any idea on how it would look with a round face?

I love this look in curls! You should check out http://www.smaggle.com/ as she has a version of this haircut and curls. It can be better for hair with ringlets to be cut when it’s dry so you can see how the shape looks. Could be super cute with bangs too, take a photo to your hairdresser so they can customise it to suit your face shape.

6. says

I tried this cut on my curly/wavy hair about a year ago and I loved it, I think it suited me, but it was hard to maintain when it started to grow out. I’m a bit lazy and I don’t pamper myself to a haircut as often as I would like/should, and it got very annoying towards the end. Now I have it evened out a bit as I’m trying to grow my hair long again, but if you want a change this is a fun haircut. Rachael Taylor is gorgeous and she pulls it off beautifully!

True, you can really tell when this cut starts to grow out as the balance shifts. I adore Rachael Taylor’s eyebrows!

7. says

Hey! Am I the only one who is having truble getting your updates on bloglovin?

Anywho.. I love this hairstyle! Not so much with bangs bot otherwise it’s great! =)

8. jen says

i <3 short cut Saturday!!! especially the hair tutorials for styling short hair. I pretty much have the middle cut above, short with lots & lots of layers (but it's not a blunt a-line, just a beautiful mess) and i love it cuz i can spend lots of time styling it to make it look just right, or i can simply roll out of bed & run my fingers thru it and it still looks great =) thanks so much for your blog, i absolutely adore it, i love that (unlike other hair blogs i frequent) this one is aimed at adult women styling their own hair. can't wait to see what you've got coming up next, have agreat weekend.
    Jen

You won’t be disappointed Jessica I have a braid project coming up that will blow your mind. Braids are definitely still in for 2012 x

9. Catalina says

I recently cut my hair really short. I donated 10 inches of my hair to the locks of love foundation. I used to have really big, I used to style all the time. Is there any way I can style it up a bit?

10. Animay says

Too messy for me. I’m a neat freak. I’m known for always having a neat and sophisticated do. It may be different but neat

11. miffny says

So happy I came across this I recently went to a salon for a trim & the hairdresser had a cause of ‘Edward Scissorhands’ leaving 7 years of growth on the floor !. My hair is a tad shorter than the pic of Dianna Argon’s but now I feel so much better seeing how it can be styled up :)

Oh no! But even though it’s not what you expected it’s a great style. Glad this has given you some more styling ideas Miffny x

12. miffny says

Thanks HR I am so struggling with the super short layers at the back she ‘stacked!’so many layers are about 4 layers from 2inches to 4 inches it seem forever I’ll be growing this mess out :(

ugh, sounds tough – but it will grow back. In other short hair news, steps and undercuts are back so maybe you’re just ahead of the trend?