Behind the scenes at Hair Romance

Want to know how I take my photos for Hair Romance? Come take a behind the scenes look at how I shoot.

I’ve received a few emails asking how I take my photos so I thought I’d share a little look at how I work.

When the lovely Xiaohan of Xssat Street Fashion photographed me recently, I asked her to snap a couple of shots of my “studio” set-up.

Is this what you thought my “studio” looked like to produce these shots?

My apartment has a fantastic sun room that’s full of natural light so I don’t use any additional lighting.

The backdrop is a door I bought at the hardware store. I couldn’t shoot without my Manfrotto tripod.

My camera is a Nikon D90 and I always use my 35mm f1.8 lens. I shoot tethered into my laptop so I can see the pictures as I go (and make sure the back of my head is in frame!)

I use a cord remote to take the photos. When I’m doing tutorials I use a timer as I need both hands in shot.

Hope you liked this behind the scenes look!

Comments

1. says

Great post, it is always interesting to see how other people shoot. I use a tripod also but what great ideas to shoot tethered and with a cord remote. That said my backdrop is a neighbour’s fence out in my street; not sure what all the passerbys would think if I added a laptop to my repertoire! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Cheryl! It used to take me ages to shoot only a couple of shots before – I’d have to mark a spot, then keep checking I was in shot and more 2 cm left etc. It’s so much easier to with the laptop.

Thanks Nikki! I got the door idea from a friend who uses them as craft tables on trestle legs. They are perfectly flat, won’t warp and are prefinished (and cheap!)

2. says

wow!!! so cool–i love seeing the “behind the scenes” of the blog photo process…and i would never have guessed you were taking thse of yourself!! i’m all the more convinced I need to get a remote shutter release now!!!

CupcakesOMG!

Thanks lovely xx I have a remote and a cable, but I find the cable is easier for these hair shots. The remote needs to see a sensor at the top of the camera which is a bit of a pain when I’m standing so close to the camera. If you’re doing full length shots the remote is perfect.

3. Kristiina says

Thanks for sharing, I love this kind of posts!

I have one idea for a post. Where I live, the temperature in winter is easily -10 to -20C. That means you have to cover your head, but that usually flattens your hair. What hairstyles would be good under a cap so that your hair still looks beautiful when you go inside?

4. Angie says

This is SUPER helpful! Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us. I have never been able to take good hair and hat pics. This certainly gives me something to think about.

5. says

Christina I do this create a studio with the simplest of things….lucky for you have that amazing light filled room, would love to have that beautiful sunshine coming in right now on this cold and dark Paris day.
    Great post and what a fantastic and informative blog you have love your work!
    Carla xx

Even in the dark Paris looks magical. Australian light always feels so harsh in comparison. Thanks for visiting Carla xx