Most influential hairstyle of 2011

by Hair Romance on January 10, 2012 · 21 comments

in Celebrity Hair,Hair Trends

Whose haircut in 2011 made you stop and tear a photo out of a mag to take to the hairdressers?

According to the Wall Street Journal, the most influential haircuts of 2011 belong to Emma Watson and Justin Bieber. They were the most requested hairstyles in salons and topped Google searches too.

I never thought I would post a photo of Justin Bieber’s hair. I’ve never suffered from ‘Bieber fever’ so I’m not really sure what the fuss is about. I do know he has influenced men’s hair and that longer hair is back for guys.

Emma Watson has been a favourite restyle of mine as I wrote about her short sexy hairstyle on Short Cut Saturday. Although short hair hasn’t really been in vogue since the 90s, Emma says her influential haircut was “the most liberating thing ever”. She definitely made me want to cut my hair in 2011.

Did you take Emma’s picture to your hairdresser? Whose haircut made you want to change your hair in 2011? Should I write about men’s hair on Hair Romance too?

Jessica January 10, 2012 at 7:36 am

I loved Emma Watson’s hairstyle. I wouldn’t be able to pull it off. Recently I’ve just been growing my hair out so I can try all those lovely braided hairstyles!

Hair Romance January 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

I think this haircut was fantastic for her – a perfect visual style statement. Keep growing your hiar – I have a hairstyle challenge coming up that will be perfect for you x

On Stage Hair Design January 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

oh man. I would kill for Emma Watson’s pixie cut…and her delicate features…and her paychecks.

But alas, I have three times the amount of hair she does…so my pixie cut dreams have ended before they even began.

Hair Romance January 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

lol, I’ll definitely take the paychecks ;) PS. I love your hair

kari January 10, 2012 at 9:17 am

Ginnifer Goodwin for sure. I vote no on men’s hair.

Hair Romance January 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

The short cut completely changed Ginnifer’s look – love it on her. Thanks for the vote against men’s hair. It was a question prompted by my male friends that I write about hairstyles for them!

Kari January 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm

If the people (aka your friends) want it, give it to them! :)

Charlotte January 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

Although she’s had it forever, 2011 was the year I went for the Zooey Deschanel haircut. I had been stuck in a bit of a hair rut and it helped me fall in love with my hair again :)

Hair Romance January 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

I love Zooey and that heavy fringe has been a massive trend. Fringes are great for drawing attention to your eyes.

Emily January 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’m not a big fan of pixie cuts, but Emma looks great in it (though I still love her long hair!) and I think it made her look much more mature.

And for the record I think guys look ridiculous when the go for long straight hair that covers half their face :P

Hair Romance January 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Haha, I think anyone that went for the “Bieber” is going to regret that style when they look back on photos…

Lecinda January 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

One of my best friends had the most beautiful long hair, it was down to her belly button! About a month ago she sent me a photo of her with it all GONE, she went and did an Emma Watson. I was so shocked, but it really suits her and she loves the change! I know she wouldn’t have gone that extreme if no one had inspired her though!!

Hair Romance January 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Wow! I wonder if Emma knew what an effect she would have with this haircut. Glad your friend loves the cut, imagine how much time she saves washing her hair!

Melody January 11, 2012 at 6:03 am

Yours! Actually.

I wanted to try all the cool styles I saw on your blog, so I started growing mine out. My sisters already had long hair, but when they saw how I was pinning mine they asked for your website so they could try it too!

Hair Romance January 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

oh thank you! That’s so lovely xx

Lynn January 11, 2012 at 9:13 am

What, no comments on Bieber??!! (j/k…I don’t care…lol)
I was a little shocked at Emma’s cut at first, but it’s not surprising she’d want to do a 180 with her look after being restricted for so long. I actually picked up..Vogue? with her on the cover because of it. I’ve always had long wavy/curly hair (down to at least the middle of my back), and have been toying with the idea of a drastic cut. I ended up middle of the road, working my way up, lol. My husband has always said he likes my long hair, then when I came home with this shoulder-length cut that’s even shorter in the front, he immediately complimented me, and I usually have to drag those out of him! We’ll see what’s next…

Hair Romance January 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

lol, Bieber is not making it onto my Hair Idol list! It’s always a good idea to go short in stages if your hair is really long. That way, if you don’t like it you haven’t gone too far. You can always cut it shorter. Let me know what you decide to do next!

Katelyn January 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I had long hair (halfway down my back), and a couple of weeks ago I went in and got a Ginnifer Goodwin inspired pixie cut. I’m loving it so far!

Hair Romance January 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

wow! what a change!

Kristiina January 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Your hair is so beautiful that I spent year 2011 growing mine to be quite similar. I have naturally curly hair, so your hairstyles and hair care tips always give me much inspiration. I never straighten my hair, though, and instead I let it be all wavy and curly. Now it’s about arm pit lenghth and really beautiful!

Reading this blog has made me love my hair. I used to think that my hair is hard to handle, but now I have realised that I used to treat it like it was straight. As soon as I started enhancing the curls and the natural texture and started co-washing instead of using shampoo, I noticed that my hair actually is quite amazing :)

Kristi January 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

I love some of the different looks and cuts you have here. 2011 was a great hair year! Looking forward to 2012!