ghd Air at London Fashion Week and at my place

by Hair Romance on March 28, 2012 · 23 comments

in Hair Products,Helmet Hair,LFW

ghd has released a hairdryer – the ghd Air.

This launch has made hair headlines around the world. But first, check out this amazing hair from the ghd team at London Fashion Week for Dion Lee.

Led by Sophie Roberts, they created this amazing fringe weave for Dion Lee’s debut presentation.  I secretly love helmet hair, and this extreme fringe forms a perfect hair cap. I recommend trying this at home if you have at least four sets of hands to help you.

Something you can try at home now is the ghd Air. This isn’t just a product release, it’s a hair event almost 10 years in he making. I was invited to the ghd Air launch and I was impressed by their passion and research into creating an original professional hairdryer, not just a re-badged product. It’s probably the most expensive dryer on the market at $199, but it looks and feels like quality.

It comes beautifully packaged, like a gift for your hair. It has the prettiest grill I’ve ever seen on air intake. However I believe it’s what’s inside that counts and I have to say I’m very impressed.

The Air’s complete hairdryer redesign means the engine has been moved to a more central position which allows for better balance in your hand. This shift also creates greater ionic airflow and results in smoother hair. If you’re using a cheap hairdryer your hair won’t believe the improvement, but if you’re smart and already have a Parlux you’ll know what I’m talking about. The ghd Air is hotter and faster than the Parlux and the nozzles are the perfect fit for ghd brushes so you don’t miss a hair. The controls are also at the back of the handle so it’s ambidextrous. It’s designed for both salon professionals and consumers and is built to last.

I’m reserving my judgement as to whether this trumps my beloved Parlux for now, but the Air is an amazing hairdryer. I’m waiting for ghd to release an equally beautifully designed diffuser to fit the Air, as it sadly won’t take a universal diffuser. If you want to create curls you can still use a sock diffuser.

Are you a fan of professional hairdryers? And am I the only one with a secret love of helmet hair?

jj March 28, 2012 at 8:07 am

I don’t know if I could cope with hotter and faster than my Parlux! Would be interesting to see in person, I expect salons will start using it pretty quickly.

Fiona March 28, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’ve been waiting to hear your thoughts on the ghd Air. I only have a cheap hair dryer and have been thinking of upgrading. ghd products always look so stylish! Great post :-) Thank you!
Fiona recently posted..Hair Straightening GraphicsMy Profile

miss chew March 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

It looks beautiful and sounds good too. I am in the market for a new hairdryer and was originally going to get the Parlux but maybe I should consider the GHD. Great review
miss chew recently posted..A primer rich in Vitamin C? Loving The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost!My Profile

Karla March 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Sock diffuser !? Please explain !

Hair Romance March 29, 2012 at 9:34 am

It’s literally a sock for your hairdryer. It’s heat resistant fabric that fits over the nozzle of your hairdryer. I haven’t tried one before but it looks good.

Kimberley March 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm

That fringe weave is absolutely incredible! The ghd Air sounds fantastic. I’m pretty sure my current hairdryer will die soon – this could be the perfect replacement.
Kimberley recently posted..Expectations: One for the BloggersMy Profile

Trace May 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Ohh. I am in the market for a new hairdryer and had the Parlus 3800 on my list till I read about the GHD air …. now I don’t know which way to go?? Any advice?? Can you also tell me where the GHD is made and how heavy it is? Thanks

Hair Romance May 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

It’s a close call, I think they’re both great. Weight-wise – its pretty close, I think the Air is ever so slightly heavier. Both are made in Italy. It’s a close race for no 1…

jenna July 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hi
Have you done a comparison with your parlux yet? I love my parlux 3200 but need a new one and am tempted by ghd air but parlux sooooo brilliant I’m unsure about changing and need some advice!!!

Hair Romance July 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hi Jenna, I haven’t done a comparison post because I’m undecided too at the moment! I think they are both amazing dryers. I will do a post on it, weighing up the pros and cons of both.

Jenna July 30, 2012 at 6:22 am

That would be brilliant as I am soooo undecided too!

Girlnpurpledres February 14, 2013 at 8:49 am

I would love your post on pros and cons as my old cheap hairdryer has gone bust and I’m torn between GHD Air (I’m already a fan of the straighteners) and the Parlux 3800.
Girlnpurpledres recently posted..Cheese For My Valentine (Boursin Light Review)My Profile

Hair Romance February 14, 2013 at 9:13 am

Good idea! I’ll work on a comparison post x

Jess June 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Hi, I am currently trying to decide between the ghd air and the parlux 3800… Have you been able to choose a favourite between the two?

Hair Romance June 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hi Jess, it’s a pretty close race. And now Parlux is bringing out a new, lighter model which I haven’t tried yet. I think it depends on your hair. I have both and I use the air when I’m blowdrying my hair straight but the parlux when I’m wearing it curly as the air doesn’t fit a diffuser. You can use a sock diffuser but I prefer my large round diffuser.

Jess June 13, 2013 at 9:13 am

Thanks for getting back to me. I have naturally curly, long thick hair, and I always tend to wear it straight. I do my best to straighten it with my hair dryer, but finish the job with the GHD. I am leaning towards the GHD air, only because I am so in love with my straightener, but I have read so many good reviews on the Parlux… Which is why I am torn!

Hair Romance June 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I think in this case the Air wins by a hair. The other thing that affects the finish of your hair is your blowdry technique. The Air makes it foolproof as it’s such a good quality dryer, but using a bood boar bristle/ synthetic brush and keeping the dryer nozzle pointing down the hair makes a massive difference to your final result. Whichever you choose you’ll love it x

Jess June 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Foolproof is definitely what I’m after! Thanks so much for the advise, I think I’ll go for the GHD! X

Jeremy December 25, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Hey Christina, great site – I don’t usually visit hair sites but I’ve definitely found some interesting stuff here! :) ^^I’m trying to decide on a new hairdryer for my partner, her current one is very old and her hairstylist says is damaging her hair – So looking to get either a Parlux or a GHD, just wondering if you might have tried the new Parlux 385 hairdryer yet? –or if you might be able to offer your recommendation for someone with thin hair that naturally starts to curl (but wants to have it straight) out of those 2 brands that would be much appreciated (I know they’re very close)! Cheers :)

Hair Romance December 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Hi Jeremy! Very impressed that you’re doing this research for your partner! Both are really similar, but if you travel a lot the Parlux 385 is the way to go. It’s smaller and lighter and is an awesome blowdryer. The ghd & parlux are pretty equal, but the 385 wins on size. To make the most of each dryer, also invest in a good quality hair brush. ghd have some great, well priced brushes. Hope this helps! Christina :)

Rawan August 1, 2014 at 3:42 am

Hi! I am currently in a huge dilemma, completely torn between ghd air & parlux 385. I do have the ghd air now but thought of returning it for the 385 as its lighter & smaller. Cuz basically i can return it for a full refund. I do travel about once to twice a year however i am willing to buy any hair dryer that gives the best results. I normally wear my hair curly & would want my hair dryer to retain the shine of my hair. Also i have fine hair but so many of it that its thick.
Would LOVE to hear your opinion

Hair Romance August 1, 2014 at 8:25 am

Hi Rawan, it’s such a close call as both do a great job. I was loyal to my Parlux forever and that model is definitely better for travelling but I really like the air. I may have changed my mind again though as ghd have just released the aura and it’s amazing. I like it more than the air, though it will be more expensive. I think you’ll be happy with either, so it’s more a personal choice x