ghd Air at London Fashion Week and at my place

ghd has released a hairdryer – the ghd Air.

This launch has made hair headlines around the world. But first, check out this amazing hair from the ghd team at London Fashion Week for Dion Lee.

Led by Sophie Roberts, they created this amazing fringe weave for Dion Lee’s debut presentation.  I secretly love helmet hair, and this extreme fringe forms a perfect hair cap. I recommend trying this at home if you have at least four sets of hands to help you.

Something you can try at home now is the ghd Air. This isn’t just a product release, it’s a hair event almost 10 years in he making. I was invited to the ghd Air launch and I was impressed by their passion and research into creating an original professional hairdryer, not just a re-badged product. It’s probably the most expensive dryer on the market at $199, but it looks and feels like quality.

It comes beautifully packaged, like a gift for your hair. It has the prettiest grill I’ve ever seen on air intake. However I believe it’s what’s inside that counts and I have to say I’m very impressed.

The Air’s complete hairdryer redesign means the engine has been moved to a more central position which allows for better balance in your hand. This shift also creates greater ionic airflow and results in smoother hair. If you’re using a cheap hairdryer your hair won’t believe the improvement, but if you’re smart and already have a Parlux you’ll know what I’m talking about. The ghd Air is hotter and faster than the Parlux and the nozzles are the perfect fit for ghd brushes so you don’t miss a hair. The controls are also at the back of the handle so it’s ambidextrous. It’s designed for both salon professionals and consumers and is built to last.

I’m reserving my judgement as to whether this trumps my beloved Parlux for now, but the Air is an amazing hairdryer. I’m waiting for ghd to release an equally beautifully designed diffuser to fit the Air, as it sadly won’t take a universal diffuser. If you want to create curls you can still use a sock diffuser.

Are you a fan of professional hairdryers? And am I the only one with a secret love of helmet hair?

Comments

1. jj says

I don’t know if I could cope with hotter and faster than my Parlux! Would be interesting to see in person, I expect salons will start using it pretty quickly.

It’s literally a sock for your hairdryer. It’s heat resistant fabric that fits over the nozzle of your hairdryer. I haven’t tried one before but it looks good.

2. Trace says

Ohh. I am in the market for a new hairdryer and had the Parlus 3800 on my list till I read about the GHD air …. now I don’t know which way to go?? Any advice?? Can you also tell me where the GHD is made and how heavy it is? Thanks

It’s a close call, I think they’re both great. Weight-wise – its pretty close, I think the Air is ever so slightly heavier. Both are made in Italy. It’s a close race for no 1…

3. jenna says

Hi
    Have you done a comparison with your parlux yet? I love my parlux 3200 but need a new one and am tempted by ghd air but parlux sooooo brilliant I’m unsure about changing and need some advice!!!

Hi Jenna, I haven’t done a comparison post because I’m undecided too at the moment! I think they are both amazing dryers. I will do a post on it, weighing up the pros and cons of both.

4. Jess says

Hi, I am currently trying to decide between the ghd air and the parlux 3800… Have you been able to choose a favourite between the two?

Hi Jess, it’s a pretty close race. And now Parlux is bringing out a new, lighter model which I haven’t tried yet. I think it depends on your hair. I have both and I use the air when I’m blowdrying my hair straight but the parlux when I’m wearing it curly as the air doesn’t fit a diffuser. You can use a sock diffuser but I prefer my large round diffuser.

• Jess says

Thanks for getting back to me. I have naturally curly, long thick hair, and I always tend to wear it straight. I do my best to straighten it with my hair dryer, but finish the job with the GHD. I am leaning towards the GHD air, only because I am so in love with my straightener, but I have read so many good reviews on the Parlux… Which is why I am torn!

I think in this case the Air wins by a hair. The other thing that affects the finish of your hair is your blowdry technique. The Air makes it foolproof as it’s such a good quality dryer, but using a bood boar bristle/ synthetic brush and keeping the dryer nozzle pointing down the hair makes a massive difference to your final result. Whichever you choose you’ll love it x

5. says

Hey Christina, great site – I don’t usually visit hair sites but I’ve definitely found some interesting stuff here! :) ^^I’m trying to decide on a new hairdryer for my partner, her current one is very old and her hairstylist says is damaging her hair – So looking to get either a Parlux or a GHD, just wondering if you might have tried the new Parlux 385 hairdryer yet? –or if you might be able to offer your recommendation for someone with thin hair that naturally starts to curl (but wants to have it straight) out of those 2 brands that would be much appreciated (I know they’re very close)! Cheers :)

Hi Jeremy! Very impressed that you’re doing this research for your partner! Both are really similar, but if you travel a lot the Parlux 385 is the way to go. It’s smaller and lighter and is an awesome blowdryer. The ghd & parlux are pretty equal, but the 385 wins on size. To make the most of each dryer, also invest in a good quality hair brush. ghd have some great, well priced brushes. Hope this helps! Christina :)

6. Rawan says

Hi! I am currently in a huge dilemma, completely torn between ghd air & parlux 385. I do have the ghd air now but thought of returning it for the 385 as its lighter & smaller. Cuz basically i can return it for a full refund. I do travel about once to twice a year however i am willing to buy any hair dryer that gives the best results. I normally wear my hair curly & would want my hair dryer to retain the shine of my hair. Also i have fine hair but so many of it that its thick.
    Would LOVE to hear your opinion

Hi Rawan, it’s such a close call as both do a great job. I was loyal to my Parlux forever and that model is definitely better for travelling but I really like the air. I may have changed my mind again though as ghd have just released the aura and it’s amazing. I like it more than the air, though it will be more expensive. I think you’ll be happy with either, so it’s more a personal choice x