How do I colour my hair?

I often receive emails about how I colour my hair, which is extremely flattering, so thank you very much! My natural hair is a mousey brown (I think… it’s been a while since I’ve seen it!) and I love being blonde so I only get my hair professionally coloured.

Last time I was in the chair of my fabulous colourist, Stevie Corthine of Stevie English Hair, I found out what he really does to my hair.

Here are some shots of fresh colour in my hair over the last few months.

I first met Stevie on Twitter last year, and went to him after hearing about his great colour skills. I liked that his salon uses Original & Mineral ammonia free colour. I told him I wanted to stay light so, poor guy, he didn’t have a lot of scope to play.

Speaking of play, ‘Team English’ as the salon team is known, is so much fun. They are a young, forward thinking salon and have a great energy. I love going in to the salon and you can tell the staff do too. There is a relaxed vibe, but the team works hard and there’s a stong focus on education. But back to the hair…

Stevie says getting the colour right “really is a fine balance” and too much bleach will puff out my wavy/curly hair and make it go frizzy. He’s thoughtful too, he knows I want to be blonde, but I’m busy and don’t have time for lots of salon visits, so he hasn’t taken my colour too light to minimise obvious regrowth.

My hair is coloured with foil highlights, alternating two blondes – a creamy blonde and a golden blonde – then a colour close to my natural colour. Stevie says: “where you weave the colour makes a difference, and getting as close to the root as possible is important to achieve longevity of colour.”

I wear my hair up a lot, with my Twist & Pin hairstyles, so Stevie alternately applies a full head then a ¾ head of foils. Normally you would only need to do a half head and a full head on every third visit, depending on your colour. Stevie always includes a natural tone when he adds highlights “so you get that light and shade that hair naturally has. Hair looks more natural, and even when you don’t want it to look natural, it adds more dimension.”

Stevie says “I can do anything to hair if the quality is there.” Take that as a challenge and give him a real test at Stevie English Hair in Glebe, and coming soon to Bondi Junction.

Comments

1. nina says

Hi
    May I ask if you can ask your hairdresser exactly what colours he is applying, I m very nosey,lol
    And when he does a 3/4 of hair do you mean he does all around the hairlines and then a T bar or?

No problem Nina, I’ll update the post once I have some details from him. I’ll clarify with him but I think 3/4 head means he does everywhere except the small section at the back of my head below my ears. He still adds a few foils at my lower hairline so I can wear my hair up.

Hi Nina – so Stevie says PI6% 12/11 12% 60 wc 916 9% – that makes no sense to me but do you understand what he means? You can always tweet him @StevieEnglish if you need more details

Haha yes, I never thought about how funny that sounds! Stevie is always on Twitter and has a great reputation. He travels and does a lot of education for the O&M, as well as weekly education for his staff.

2. Samantha says

I would love to know how often one should get colour done. Do you have any posts on that? I know with foiling it might possibly be different than a full permanent colour (which is what I have in my hair). I just went way darker and I am in love with it! I don’t know that I’ll ever go back, so I want to make sure I get it coloured often enough to be fresh and beautiful. Thanks for your post! Your hair colour is gorgeous.

Thanks Samantha, good question – normally I colour about every six weeks but I’ll post about it too

3. says

Your colour is gorgeous, but your salon is a bit far for us Melbournites to try out! Have you ever posted any articles about going brunette to blonde? My natural colour is a dark, mousy blonde/light brown and I’ve been having it coloured a chocolate colour for a while now. Would love to lighten up a little, but am a little apprehensive about it. Do you have any tips?

That’s such a great idea for a post Kylie! It’s best to go blonde over a few salon visits. Start with highlights or balayage and work up to full blonde. You can do it in one go but it takes a toll on your hair. I’ll put a full post together with tips x