How do you know if you’ll like your hair a pixie cut? Larita wrote to Hair Romance with a question I think a few of you might be asking:
I’m so bored of ponytails! I’ve been drawn to pixie cuts for a couple years now, but never had the courage to seriously consider it. However, I recently watched the movie “One Day” and completely fell in love with Anne Hathaway’s short cut.
My hairdresser and a few close friends say “go for it!” but I’m still scared. I’ve looked up styling tips, pros and cons, anything somebody has to say about having this hair cut, but still can’t make up my mind.
How do you finally decide to go for the big chop?
Here’s the hairstyle that has Larita considering short hair:
There’s such an emotional connection to our hair and it can be a huge decision to decide to cut it all off. You have to make the final call on what you feel comfortable with but I thought I’d add my pros and cons list to see if it changes your mind.
Should you get a pixie cut?
- Easy to style – You hardly need to comb your hair
- Quick – less time on your hair means more time for everything else
- Stylish – there’s something so polished and effortlessly chic about a short style
- Fun – you can play around with colour without worrying about damaging all your hair
- Hair grows back – if you don’t like it, don’t worry as it will grow back
- Always looks the same (though depending on the cut this isn’t necessarily true)
- It won’t suit my face (there are short styles to suit every face)
- It will take ages to grow back (true, it won’t happen overnight but it will happen)
Can you tell I’m a little biased towards going for the big chop?
Here are some of my favourite short hair cuts that might inspire your next hairstyle and check out my Short Cut Saturday Pinterest board for more hairspiration.
One of my haircut mistakes was worrying about going pixie short. I resisted going for the super short cut for a long time and instead I kept it in this weird not quite a bob / not quite short / no-mans land hairstyle. My hairstyle (if you could call it that) didn’t do anything for me and still took a bit of time to style with my curly hair. Once I went short short I couldn’t believe how great it was. It was so easy to style, I always felt chic and I started changing up my style too. I wore brighter lipsticks, bigger earrings and had more fun with my look.
There’s nowhere to hide with short hair but then you realise there’s no reason to hide.
In the end you have to make the call but the good news is hair grows back! It’s important to get some opinions and if your friends and hairdresser say go for it (and you trust their style) I’d say go for it too.
Please let us know what you decide to do Larita!
How did you decide to cut your hair and what advice would you give to those considering their first short haircut?