How to insert a bobby pin

by Hair Romance on May 22, 2012 · 15 comments

in Hair Style Advice,Tutorials,Twist and Pin

This is the best tutorial I’ve ever seen for how to insert a bobby pin or hair pin.

Daven’s blog is full of great hair tips and tricks.

I am off in search of these special Italian hair pins. Has anyone ever seen them? Please tell me where I can find them while I’m in Italy.

luz May 22, 2012 at 7:34 am

wow this is a good tutorial!! i even learned something new!
luz recently posted..“style smarter, not harder”My Profile

Taylor May 22, 2012 at 8:23 am

Awesome! :) I probably have pin parties in my hair when I use bobby pins because they never seem to stay in. I’d be shocked if my hair stayed up with only one pin!
Taylor recently posted..Learning curveMy Profile

Kat May 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

How cool is Daven!! I have about 4 pins in my hair today and now I feel like such an amateur.. ;)
Kat recently posted..The yummiest tomato soupMy Profile

Maribeth May 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I am the WORST bobby pin inserter EVER! This really helps. Thanks for sharing it!
Maribeth recently posted..L.A. Girl Fruity Scented Nail Polish (Pictures)My Profile

Tiziana May 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Hi,
I live in Rome, Italy, so I thought I may help with your bobby pin quest.
I guess you should look for them in places like perfume/cosmetic supplies shops like Sephora or similar chains, and even in supermarkets.If you can find one while strolling around, just go to one of those shops were they sell supplies for salons. You may want to take a sample with you and show it to the salesperson, to make things easier!
They shouldn’t be hard to get ;)

Thanks for sharing <3

Hair Romance May 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Grazie Tiziana!!

Nadine May 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Brilliant! Thank you so much! (I’m by no means an expert, but TWENTY PINS? I’m embarrassed if I have to use 8 . . )

Lucy May 25, 2012 at 6:52 am

It happens. The worst thing about uberpinning is when you think you’ve got them all out, then start shedding pins in the shower.
Off to Daven’s blog I go, thank you!

Hair Romance May 25, 2012 at 8:47 am

haha yes! Or you find a pin sticking into your head when you turn over in your sleep!

Connie May 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love it! I think I conquered the one pin style as a teen, but I want those curved pins! and how to create that pony with thinner hair….the pin always sticks out the other side :( But who knew that twisting the end of the wrap part would help hold it? He’s a genius!

Kylie @ Octavia and Vicky May 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm

OMG I have been pinning so wrong for 33 years!

Cate March 27, 2013 at 1:44 am

WOW! What a great video! Does this guy have a website or anything?! Or does anyone reccomend other tutorial sites? Thanks<3

Hair Romance March 28, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hi Cate, if you click through to YouTube you should be able to find more but he mainly uses Youtube. I should do a round up of my fave hair sites x

Jill August 22, 2014 at 6:20 am

Hey Christina, I’ve been looking for tips for inserting pins since I started reading hair romance. Your hairstyles are gorgeous, but often depend on bobby pins. I’m terrible at bobby pins! I find they either don’t stay in or they end up jabbing into my head. I know placement is important and not putting too much hair in each one, but I’m terrible at this too. I would love to read an article about this topic if you post it! (The video here doesn’t load for me. It says the link is broken)

Hair Romance August 22, 2014 at 11:49 am

Hi Jill, it’s like you read my mind! I have a bobby pin guide coming up next week :)