How to switch stylists in the same salon

by Hair Romance on June 5, 2012 · 9 comments

in Salon Advice

Part of Hair Romance’s Salon Advice series, helping you navigate the salon and love your hair.

It can be emotional to break up with your hairdresser. It’s easier if you just leave and go to a new salon and never see them again. What do you do if you love the salon but want to switch to a different stylist?

I’ve switched stylists in the same salon several times, maintaining friendships and without hurting anyone’s feelings. Here

How to switch stylists

1. Recognise that it’s primarily a professional relationship. Although it feels emotional, it’s a service industry. You’re the client and you should be happy with the service you’re paying for.

2. Go through the salon owner. The salon owner is impartial and will help you navigate the personalities and help smooth the transition to the new stylist. The salon owner wants to keep you as a client and doesn’t care who you see as long as you’re still a client of the salon. They will be your ally during the transition.

3. Change your appointment time. If you always have your hair done on the same day and at the same time to the same stylist they will really notice when you arrive and sit in another stylist’s chair. Go on a different day and you can spare your old stylist’s feeling a little. Try and book when they have another appointment so they will be busy when you arrive.

Once you’ve seen your new stylist and youre happy with your hair it’s easy to rebook and set a new routine in place.

If it doesn’t work out you can still go back to your old stylist, or find a new hairdresser.

Have you ever switched stylists in the same salon? How did your original hairdresser react?

M June 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

I’ve only done it one but my old stylist gave me a total death stare when she saw me in a different stylist’s chair. I left that entire salon a few haircuts later.

Hair Romance June 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Awkward! Hope you’ve found a better salon now

CJ June 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Great article! I have switched within the same salon. I got a pretty drastic haircut and was pleased and impressed with the skills of the stylist. But I didn’t really “click” with her. When it needed touching up about a month later, I went back to the same salon and just asked for an appointment that day with anyone who was free. When I went back in the afternoon for the appointment, immediately my new stylist made me feel at ease and was really friendly. She did exactly what I had in mind and then didn’t even charge me because she said it took no time. When I looked surprised, she said just to come back any time and see her and she’d do it at no cost. So naturally, I’ve been back to her ever since, not because she does touch ups for free (that’s just an added bonus) but because she really makes an effort to get to know me and have fun conversations every time. As for any hard feelings from the other stylist, I don’t think so, I hope not. She did a good job, and that’s why I came back to the salon, but my stylist now makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

Hair Romance June 6, 2012 at 3:57 am

Sounds like you’ve found a great stylist!

Laura June 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Maybe this is a bit sneaky, but if I switch, I usually book on the day that I know is the old stylist’s day off!

Hair Romance June 6, 2012 at 3:55 am

Great advice Lah x

Clansi July 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

The only snag is when the stylest you want to leave IS the salon owner…!

Hair Romance August 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm

ooh that is awkward, time to find a new salon…?