How to use dry shampoo

Dry shampoo is one of my must have hair products. If you’ve ever tried it you’ll know exactly what I mean. If you’ve tried it and it wasn’t for you, you’re probably using it the wrong way.

It should really be called a styling product rather than a shampoo, as dry shampoo doesn’t really clean your hair. It only makes your hair look cleaner so that you can style it again. The product is a very fine powder that your spray onto the roots of your hair to absorb any excess oil from your scalp.

Tips for using dry shampoo

• Never use it on wet hair – it’s a powder product that should be used on dry hair only.
  • Only apply it to your roots – spray dry shampoo onto your hairline and onto your scalp and roots. As in the photo, I spray some dry shampoo to the roots around the front of my hair and also at the crown. You shouldn’t spray it onto the midlengths or ends of your hair.
  • Don’t overdo it – you can always add more if you feel your roots are still too oily.
  • Give it time to work – dry shampoo needs a minute to absorb the oil from your hair and scalp. Leave it to work its magic. Once it has absorbed the excess oil the powder look disappears.
  • Brush it through – after leaving the dry shampoo to work, brush it through your hair. This will distribute any residual powder so you can’t see it anymore.
  • Colour match to your hair – there are now many brands with coloured dry shampoos available, such as Batiste and Oscar Blandi. Pick a coloured powder to suit your hair.

I don’t know what I did before dry shampoo. It’s the secret to keeping your salon blowdry lasting for days and days. It lets you sleep in and quickly restyle your hair when you probably should wash it. It’s also great for adding texture and volume to fine or straight hair.

Are you a dry shampoo fan? Which is your favourite brand?

Comments

1. Tara says

I am a fan…but I’ve found my favorite is good ol’ baby powder (preferably with a lovely lavender scent) sprinkled on a fluffy powder brush and tapped into my roots. :)

2. says

The reason I’ve never liked dry shampoo in the past had to do with the smell. Every type I tried had a really strong smell. Other than the smell, I really liked the way the dry shampoo made my hair look. Do you have any recommendations for a brand with a more subtle scent? Thanks!

3. says

I have recently become obsessed with dry shampoo! I bought a drugstore one for cheap just to see if I would actually use it and I ended up loving it so much. I have thin hair that falls out easily and I was killing it by washing and drying it EVERYDAY. Yes- everyday. I started skipping washes but I felt my hair was so blah and oily after only one day. I use the dry shampoo now and it is a life-saver. I want to branch out and try some “fancier” salon brands now that I know I will actually use it!
    Maribeth recently posted..China Glaze Summer Neons "Hang-Ten Toes" with Black StarsMy Profile

That’s great Maribeth! I find they’re all fairly similar, though some more expensive brands are better for styling. I still use the cheaper brands because I go through so much of the stuff.

4. says

it’s crazy to me how many people still haven’t figured out the right way to use dry shampoo, so thank you for this!!! i take it one step further before brushing it through and actually massage it into my scalp, just like i would real shampoo. i don’t know if it really does anything, but it feels good to me!!

CupcakesOMG!

5. Sarah says

I use a cheap from Sally’s. I don’t recall the brand but it is called Rockin’ On or something, in an orange bottle. I LOVE IT. I have been trying to reduce the amount of shampooing I do and with the dry shampoo I can now go 3-4 days. Mega time saver!

6. says

I’m glad you said it’s more a styling product than shampoo to clean your hair! I’ve never tried it, because it was meant to replace washing your hair. After running I need to wash it every single day; I’d feel too gross if I didn’t. Also, my scalp is really dry, so I don’t even know if it’d work for me :/.

Happy midweek! ;D

Miki.
    Miki recently posted..Fun mail: Light summer packageMy Profile

Thanks Miki. It can be a confusing product, but if you sleep in and don;t have time to wash your hair it’s your best friend :)

7. Cori says

I do not use a dry shampoo but often I will use baby powder to achieve the same effect! I wash my hair once a week and use it to touch up my roots when needed.

8. amelia says

I LOVE dry shampoo, ever since I became aware of it (a few years ago now) i’ve loved it non stop and have shared my love with many friends :)

Thanks Amelia. I’m always talking about it too and can’t believe it when friends aren’t using it

9. Elisa Rose says

I found your website looking for ways to grow my hair longer… But I like it!i looooove dry shampoo. I have very fine hair that is 50% white, 30% light brown and 20% light blonde. I color it via esalon.com to a light blonde. Anyway….dry shampoo saves merit wand $$$ bc I don’t havero use a lot of shampoo and conditioners/crime rinses.

10. Hair's 2 You says

I recently discovered dry shampoo and LOVE IT. Great for touch-ups and for securing Up-Dos. I use Garnier Fructis.

Bought some for a friend who was hospitalized and couldn’t get out of bed for the first couple of days. She had a C-section and was all sweaty from labor, but was in bed because of her catheter and IVs for glucose and a blood transfusion. Really made her feel refreshed.

yes, it’s great on curly hair too. Skip the bit about brushing your hair and instead use your finger tips to massage any powder into your hair x