Why Taylor Tomasi-Hill won’t tell anyone who her hairdresser is

by Hair Romance on June 12, 2012 · 7 comments

in Celebrity Hair,Redheads

Taylor Tomasi-Hill has kept her hair salon a secret for years.

I met the street style star backstage at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia where she was hard at work as the stylist for the Oroton debut show. Of course the conversation turned to hair.

I told Taylor it was a good idea to keep the formula to her signature bright red locks a mystery. She laughed and said “No-one wants to spend all Saturday sitting in the salon.”

It all started years ago when she was first working in New York. She would sneak off to the hairdresser during her work day. If no-one knew her salon they wouldn’t be able to find her and confirm she was there.

Taylor said she doesn’t need to keep it a secret anymore but it’s kind of stuck. Plus now she never sees anyone she knows at her salon and so can relax while she’s there.

I thought she was just protective of her colourist and was worried once word got out she wouldn’t be able to get an appointment, but I love the sneaky start to the mystery of who colours her hair.

Do you keep your hairdresser a secret?

Robin June 12, 2012 at 10:19 am

I feel just the opposite- I like telling people where I get my hair done when they ask! I’ve had several friends & colleagues go to my stylist, and they all are happy w/the results. Share the stylist!

Hair Romance June 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’m the same as you Robin, but I understand why she loves to relax in the salon. I’ve struggled to find good hairdressers in the past so I always share good ones now.

Kym January 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

I think she uses henna. At home.

Hair Romance January 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Interesting idea Kym!

Grit & Glamour™ (@gritandglamour) March 26, 2014 at 5:18 am

I know this is old, but I was googling TTH red hair, and your page came up! Don’t know if you read this, but Taylor finally revealed the man behind the mane: Gion Vincent. http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/02/qa-gion-vincent-taylor-tomasi-hills-colorist.html

She’s still keeping the formula a secret, though!

Hope you are well, doll.

xo

Hair Romance March 27, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Thanks V! I hadn’t seen that she’s finally spilled her salon secret. Putting it on my list for when I’m next in NYC.

You’re so lucky to have your mom to do your hair. Drastically changing your hair colour is a major (and expensive) commitment.

Hope all is well with you! xx

Grit & Glamour™ (@gritandglamour) March 26, 2014 at 5:23 am

Oh, and she’s right…for brunettes, that red takes a long time. Doing base color + lifting and coloring my current red highlights takes at least three hours! Thank GOD my mom is my hairdresser. I don’t know what I’d do without her. And I’d have to forego my Starbucks habit to pay for the hair.