Short Cut Saturday – Does your hair influence your clothes?

by Hair Romance on July 14, 2012 · 16 comments

in Celebrity Hair,Short Hair

Anne Hathaway is finally showing off her new short hairstyle and has has been promoting her new film in a range of little black dresses.

Kate Finnigan noted in her telegraph fashion column that Anne has adapted her fashion to her new hairstyle. Kate says:

Short, cropped hair is wonderful if you can pull it off but wardrobe back-up is essential. You have to pare down your clothes too. Keep colour and shape simple. Monochrome, graphic stripes, sharp tailoring and classic dresses will all enhance. Flowers and flounces not so much.

Do you agree? Have you changed your wardrobe to go with a new hairstyle?

Images from telegraph.co.uk and zimbio.com

jess July 14, 2012 at 9:50 am

i think short hair definitely made me more aware of how everything complimented each other. but when my hair is long (like now) don’t think about it as much.

Hair Romance July 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Jess, maybe having such a strongly styled haircut makes you more aware of your personal style?

Catherine July 14, 2012 at 10:03 am

I agree with Jess – when i got my pixie do i started wearing more plain colours and shapes. i think cause this hair cut had a Mod feel to it so i didnt want to wear flouncy dresses with such a minimalist hair cut

Hair Romance July 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Catherine, interesting how a graphic hairstyle makes you want to avoid clashing. I found I changed a lot of my accessories too.

Hannah Alyse July 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I definitely change my clothes and makeup depending on my new hair. I don’t do the same makeup when I have red hair as when I have black. And when I had a mohawk I wore less piercings, black, metal and switched to a more understated and girly look. I also made the mohawk blonde because I wanted it all to be a little unexpected combined. Anyways, I change my clothes to work with the hair in a not so matchy but complimenting way. It’s a lot of fun!!

Hair Romance July 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I agree, hair and fashion should be fun x

Lisa July 14, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I’m the other way. I think when you have short hair you can go with a more frivolous style without it looking over the top, whereas long hair lends itself to simpler look. I agree though that deep dramatic colours suit shorter hair styles.

Hair Romance July 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Interesting point Lisa. I think it’s about how you wear it too.

Juliette Gold July 15, 2012 at 3:20 am

Both the post and the comments make an interesting point. There really are thinks that don’t match the style/vibe of the pixie cut. It’s very true and definitely something to keep in mind when getting a cut.

But what about other cuts? every haircut has a style that comes with it. What do you girls think about other styles – a straight bob? a wavy bob? long layers? bangs?
Juliette Gold recently posted..Armani’s Nightfall SketchMy Profile

Hair Romance July 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Great point Juliette, there’s definitely a mod feel about a graphic pixie cut, and long waves are so often seen as beachy or bohemian. I like hair to reflect your personality, as your clothes can too. You might suit one style or like to mix it up. It’s all about having fun with your look.

Laura July 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

When I chopped all my hair off, I changed my wardrobe! Suddenly all my clothes weren’t “right” for the funky short hair I’d gotten.
Laura recently posted..Did you get the first Smarter Admins eNewsletter?My Profile

Hair Romance July 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm

a great excuse to go shopping x

saraid August 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I think I have done the opposite…I went from long curly hair to very short pixie [think Emma watson when she first cut her hair] and I wear more girly clothes now…pretty florals, bright prints etc. Subconscious fear of looking like a boy perhaps?

Hair Romance August 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

that’s really interesting Saraid, I found I wore more makeup with short hair for that reason

Debbie February 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm

When I first had my very short pixie cut eight years ago, I totally changed my image. I now have a more feminine range of clothes than I had previously, more skirts, dresses and higher heels rather than trousers and flat shoes. I now spend more time trying to look my best. I tend to wear plain patterns and colours instead of flowery fabrics and other complicated patterns and it has certainly been an incentive to keep my figure in trim as well – Anne Hathaway looks fabulous with her pixie cut, clothes and figure. If you have long hair and are seriously thinking of cutting your hair in a pixie cut but like to wear trousers and jeans most of the time, only wear flat shoes and can’t be bothered with make up and jewellery, I would tend to advise keeping your hair long. I think having very short hair means that you have to adopt a fashionable image in order not to be thought of as rather masculine looking. Also, if you have a partner, make sure that he is on board with your choice of new hair style. Hope this helps !

Hair Romance February 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Debbie! It’s amazing the impact our hair has on our clothes and makeup