When people see my new pink ombre hair they say either “Love it!” or “Is is permanent?”
I’ve tried many versions of pink hair dye in my hair history. The picture above is my bright pink and orange hair from July 2012 when I said “Go for it!” to Stevie English. I let this wash out but have dipped back into the dip-dye hair trend once more with my latest pink hair.
How long does pink hair dye last?
This semi-permanent pink hair dye lasts anywhere from 1-6 weeks and there are lots of ways to extend, or shorten, this time. Stevie uses Directions hair colour on my hair, and there are similar brands like Manic Panic and Fudge on the market. How long these hair dyes lasts depends on several factors including:
- The condition of your hair
- The colour of your hair
- How long you leave the dye on for
- How often you wash your hair
- How often you heat style your hair
All of these will affect how the colour takes to your hair, and how quickly it will fade.
Here’s a picture guide of how long the bright pink hair dye lasted in my hair.
Pink hair dye fade over three washes
You can see a gradual colour fade over each wash, though the colour is still very vibrant.
Pink hair dye fade over three weeks
After three weeks the pink hair colour has significantly faded, however I really love this softer look.
How to make your hair dye last longer
These tips work for pink hair, or any colour you want to dip dye your hair.
- Go a little brighter than you want it to be – the colour fades quickly, so go a little brighter at the start and it will last and be the colour you want for longer.
- Lighten your ends first – these semi permanent colours won’t hold, or show as clearly in dark hair. You may need to lighten the ends of your hair before applying the colour.
- Wash less frequently – as the colour fades on every wash, the longer you can wait between washes will help the colour last. Try dry shampoo and hair powders on those in-between wash days.
- Reduce heat styling – too much blowdrying, curling and straightening will damage your hair and can make the colour look dull.
Have you ever tried coloured ombre hair? What’s your tip for making coloured hair last longer?