Before and After with the L’Oreal Professional Steam Pod

by Hair Romance on November 15, 2012 · 22 comments

in Hair Products,My Hair

L’Oreal Professional have teamed with Rowenta (inventors of the first steam iron) to release a new kind of hair straightening iron – the Steam Pod. It seems counter-intuitive, but it uses water in the form of steam to straighten your hair.

In case it wasn’t clear, this is the before and after in my hair:

Yes, I was pretty impressed too. I first tried the Steam Pod in-salon, and now L’Oreal have released a home version. I decided to really test it out on my curly, frizzy hair.

SIze wise, the Steam Pod sits between a normal ghd and the ghd wide iron. The plates are approximately the same size as a normal flat iron, but it has a row of steam jets along one side that heat your hair before sealing it with the iron.

This steam opens up the cuticle and infuses moisture into the hair before sealing it with the iron. This makes your hair resistant to humidity, and means a frizz-free smooth finish.

I tested my hair walking around all day, getting briefly caught in the rain, and slept on it and it was still fabulous on the second day. In fact it lasted another two days in my hair before I washed it. My hair felt softer, and not as dry as when I usually straighten it. I couldn’t stop touching it.

Everyone has been asking me about the new Steam Pod, so I’m sharing these pictures with you now and I will be back with a full tutorial so you can see it in action. The Steam Pod retails for $270 and is available from L’Oreal Professional salons. (Note – this link plays so a video so turn your sound off if at work)

Have you tried the Steam Pod? Could you tell which was the before and after in my hair?

The Steam Pod and salon treatment were provided in accordance with my Disclosure Policy. This is not a sponsored post.

Norlin November 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I’ve read so much about this!!! I think I’m going to need one…soon…especially having coloured my hair recently.
Norlin recently posted..What To Wear When Travelling On A PlaneMy Profile

Hair Romance November 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

Give it a try in salon Norlin to see how your hair feels. I love it.

Sneha November 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Is this a product free comparison between the before and after? And I would love to see a regular flat-iron day vs. the steampod if possible. Do you feel that the steam is less damaging to the hair?

You may be too young to remember this, but back in the 80s they used to also have steam curling irons and those have since gone the way of the dinosaur so I’m a bit leery of the steam flat iron.

Hair Romance November 16, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hi Sneha, I have used one product – the L’Oreal Steam Pod smoothing cream – which I applied to towel dried hair before blowdrying my hair. There’s no other product used in the after shot. It feels softer and smoother than when I flat iron it. It also has more movement and body that when I flat iron my hair. I’m interested to try a before and after comparing a flat iron to the Steam Pod. I’m just about to try it again so I’ll see how I go x

nasubi November 18, 2012 at 8:15 am

How long did it take to straighten your hair using the steam pod? Does it take less time than a conventional straightener?

Do you mean that you were caught in the rain without an umbrella and that your hair did not go back to being curly?! Surely the frizz returned?!

Does the steam cause less damage than a conventional straightener?

Hair Romance November 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hi Nasubi, it takes around the same time as using a regular flat iron, although the steam iron takes a minute longer to heat up at the start. They claim it causes less damage, and my hair feels softer and in better condition after I use the steam pod, compared to a ceramic flat iron. It’s still a heat styler so I wouldn’t use it every day but they say you can. And yes, I was in the rain (though just a brief shower) and my hair did not frizz. I let it air dry, brushed my hair with my mason pearson and it was still straight. Unbelieveable.

Nicci April 5, 2013 at 12:40 am

i totally agree the Loreal steam pod is the best thing that ever happened to my hair – recommend to anyone : )

Hair Romance April 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Nicci! I love the long lasting finish in my hair

stephanie April 29, 2013 at 12:04 pm

hi,is this a 2 in 1 iron?what i mean is can i use this as a steamer or hair straightener??

Hair Romance April 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Stephanie, it’s a straightener with a row of steam jets at the side. It steams as it straightens your hair to create a more humidity resistant finish. You can also create waves but can’t curl like a straight iron as the plates are wide.

jojo May 6, 2013 at 3:18 pm

do u have to adjust the steampod timer manually before usin it ? or it’s done automatically ?

Hair Romance May 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hi jojo, you can adjust the plate temperature but the steam settings are automatic. I use mine at 170-180 degrees.

Michelle August 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Just wondering if this is the same as the VS Goddess?

Hair Romance August 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I haven’t tried the VS Goddess Michelle so can’t compare. Is it also a steam styler?

jJ TAYLOR November 4, 2013 at 8:12 am

Will it work on mid length hair

Hair Romance November 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Hi JJ, it does but you can see the styler is quite wide so you can’t get that close to the root of your hair x

Erich December 20, 2013 at 4:14 am

How do I get one for my daughter and how much is it? Also, can I get this before Christmas.

Regards;

Erich

Hair Romance December 20, 2013 at 9:57 am

They’re available from L’Oreal Professionnel salons and you can find your nearest salon via their website http://www.lorealprofessionnel.com/index.aspx

Sam March 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Hi, would this damage my hair if I use it about twice a week? Also how long does the affect last? Thanks!!

Hair Romance March 8, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Hi Sam, all heat styling will cause some damage to your hair but I do think this is better than some other irons. This lasts until the next time you wash your hair so you could use it twice a week. Make sure you use a weekly treatment to help hydrate your hair

Cristal June 1, 2014 at 10:30 am

Hi
Is using steam pod less damaging than using a blower?

Hair Romance June 2, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Hi Cristal, it’s probably the same, though the steam pod will give you a smoother finish. Remember you have to use it on practically dry hair so will have to blowdry your hair first, or wait til your hair is almost dry.