Before and After with the L’Oreal Professional Steam Pod

L’Oreal Professional have teamed with Rowenta (inventors of the first steam iron) to release a new kind of hair straightening iron – the Steam Pod. It seems counter-intuitive, but it uses water in the form of steam to straighten your hair.

In case it wasn’t clear, this is the before and after in my hair:

Yes, I was pretty impressed too. I first tried the Steam Pod in-salon, and now L’Oreal have released a home version. I decided to really test it out on my curly, frizzy hair.

SIze wise, the Steam Pod sits between a normal ghd and the ghd wide iron. The plates are approximately the same size as a normal flat iron, but it has a row of steam jets along one side that heat your hair before sealing it with the iron.

This steam opens up the cuticle and infuses moisture into the hair before sealing it with the iron. This makes your hair resistant to humidity, and means a frizz-free smooth finish.

I tested my hair walking around all day, getting briefly caught in the rain, and slept on it and it was still fabulous on the second day. In fact it lasted another two days in my hair before I washed it. My hair felt softer, and not as dry as when I usually straighten it. I couldn’t stop touching it.

Everyone has been asking me about the new Steam Pod, so I’m sharing these pictures with you now and I will be back with a full tutorial so you can see it in action. The Steam Pod retails for $270 and is available from L’Oreal Professional salons. (Note – this link plays so a video so turn your sound off if at work)

Have you tried the Steam Pod? Could you tell which was the before and after in my hair?

The Steam Pod and salon treatment were provided in accordance with my Disclosure Policy. This is not a sponsored post.

Comments

1. Sneha says

Is this a product free comparison between the before and after? And I would love to see a regular flat-iron day vs. the steampod if possible. Do you feel that the steam is less damaging to the hair?

You may be too young to remember this, but back in the 80s they used to also have steam curling irons and those have since gone the way of the dinosaur so I’m a bit leery of the steam flat iron.

Hi Sneha, I have used one product – the L’Oreal Steam Pod smoothing cream – which I applied to towel dried hair before blowdrying my hair. There’s no other product used in the after shot. It feels softer and smoother than when I flat iron it. It also has more movement and body that when I flat iron my hair. I’m interested to try a before and after comparing a flat iron to the Steam Pod. I’m just about to try it again so I’ll see how I go x

2. nasubi says

How long did it take to straighten your hair using the steam pod? Does it take less time than a conventional straightener?

Do you mean that you were caught in the rain without an umbrella and that your hair did not go back to being curly?! Surely the frizz returned?!

Does the steam cause less damage than a conventional straightener?

Hi Nasubi, it takes around the same time as using a regular flat iron, although the steam iron takes a minute longer to heat up at the start. They claim it causes less damage, and my hair feels softer and in better condition after I use the steam pod, compared to a ceramic flat iron. It’s still a heat styler so I wouldn’t use it every day but they say you can. And yes, I was in the rain (though just a brief shower) and my hair did not frizz. I let it air dry, brushed my hair with my mason pearson and it was still straight. Unbelieveable.

3. Nicci says

i totally agree the Loreal steam pod is the best thing that ever happened to my hair – recommend to anyone : )

Hi Stephanie, it’s a straightener with a row of steam jets at the side. It steams as it straightens your hair to create a more humidity resistant finish. You can also create waves but can’t curl like a straight iron as the plates are wide.

4. jojo says

do u have to adjust the steampod timer manually before usin it ? or it’s done automatically ?

Hi jojo, you can adjust the plate temperature but the steam settings are automatic. I use mine at 170-180 degrees.

Hi JJ, it does but you can see the styler is quite wide so you can’t get that close to the root of your hair x

5. Sam says

Hi, would this damage my hair if I use it about twice a week? Also how long does the affect last? Thanks!!

Hi Sam, all heat styling will cause some damage to your hair but I do think this is better than some other irons. This lasts until the next time you wash your hair so you could use it twice a week. Make sure you use a weekly treatment to help hydrate your hair

Hi Cristal, it’s probably the same, though the steam pod will give you a smoother finish. Remember you have to use it on practically dry hair so will have to blowdry your hair first, or wait til your hair is almost dry.