Tips for a great curly haircut

by Hair Romance on November 19, 2012 · 38 comments

in Curly Hair,Hair Style Advice,My Hair

The secret to good hair every day is a great haircut.

Curly hair need a curly haircut. But what is a “curly” haircut exactly?

Curly haircuts will enhance your curls. There’s not one type of curl, so there are many variations of a curly cut but they are usually layered, with a rounder shape.

The image above is my haircut, shown straight and curly. My hair is naturally thick and curly, and it has been thinned out throughout. This takes out the bulk, and with less weight my curls spring up more easily. I have layers and my cut forms a rounded V at the back.

Tips for a great curly haircut

• Find a hairdresser who loves curly hair. Find someone who is used to cutting curly hair, and wants to enhance your curls rather than straighten them. Here are more tips to finding a good hairdresser.
  • Go to the salon with your hair curly. Style your hair to show your hairdresser what your curls look like. If you’ve brushed them out and put your hair in a bun, your hairdresser will have to guess what your curls look like.
  • Take some inspiration images. Bring some pictures of hairstyles you like (or dislike) to discuss with your hairdresser. A picture really does say 1000 words at the salon and here are more tips to explain what you want at the salon.
  • Use the right products. Talk to your stylist about what they are using on your hair and ask them to show you so you can replicate it at home. Sulphate-free shampoos and curl creams make a big difference in styling curly hair.

What’s your tip for great curly hair?

Heidi November 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

My curly tip is to Q-Redew between washings to reshape, restyle and moisturize curls without damage. Second and even third day hair, no problem. It’s just water!

Sophie November 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm

YAY! I’ve been waiting for this post! Now I know what to ask for when I have my next cut! I’ve had many styles and most turn out boofy when I try to curl or straighten my unruly hair. I love the way your curls look! I want them!

Sophie xo
Sophie recently posted..Easy Basil Pesto RecipeMy Profile

Hair Romance November 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Thanks Sophie! Good luck for your next haircut x

Mindy November 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

My tip is to have it dry cut so there are no surprises.

Hair Romance November 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Great tip Mindy, depending on your curl and how you wear your hair, I agree dry cuts are best for curls.

Melissa Mitchell December 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm

How do you convince your hairdresser to do a dry cut? I’ve never, ever seen one done, or suggested. It’d be ideal for me because my hair is incredibly fine, but it curls up HEAPS after a cut. Even though I know this, I can never really envision it when wet and being cut, and they can’t either so there have been some disasters.
Melissa Mitchell recently posted..The countownMy Profile

Hair Romance December 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hi Melissa! Not all stylist are comfortable doing dry curly cuts. You have to find a hairdresser who loves curly hair. Ask at your salon if any of the stylists are used to doing these styles, or I suggest asking someone you see with great curls who does their hair. I know this seems funny, but it’s always flattering and women love to share a good hair salon. I ask people in the street all the time as I love to keep a lits of great curly hairdressers (just in case mine moves overseas!). Otherwise, when you next go to your hairdresser, wear your hair really curly. Show them how much your curls shrink up, and explain how your hair curls in different ways. Help them understand your hair, and they’ll give you a better cut to suit your hair. Good luck! Xx

Xcentric Hair November 21, 2012 at 6:45 am

Yes! Going into the salon with your natural curl is the best piece of advice. That way the stylist can also see if there are problem areas in the shape ;)

Hair Romance November 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

Thank you! You need to help your stylist by showing them how you wear your curls.

Daniela December 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Where have you been all my life?

Do you have tutorials for curly hair updos or halfdos?

Hair Romance December 14, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks Daniela! I have a couple of styles linked here http://www.hairromance.com/2012/04/hair-romance-featured-naturallycurly.html and here http://www.hairromance.com/2011/11/easy-updo-for-second-day-hair.html but most of my styles work with straight or curly hair. I usually do the tutorial in straight hair as it’s clearer to see the steps. My new year’s resolution is more curly tutorials so stay tuned for more! x

Stephanie December 30, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m SO GLAD I found your site! Recently Ive been trying to find the right cut for my hair – since Ive never felt like the cut has been good. My curls are very similar to yours. Can you tell me exactly what you asked for at the hairstylist? What type of layers and how did they cut them? I always ask for “blended layers” but it always comes out looking like a shelf. :/ I really appreciate your advice!! :D

Hair Romance December 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thank you so much Stephanie! It’s important to find a hairdresser who loves curly hair. Ask around your salon and your friends to find a good stylist. Then take some photos and make sure you have enough time for a proper consultation to discuss what you want before they start the cut. If you’re unsure, you don’t have to go through with the appointment x

Rachel January 22, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love your New Years resolution! It would be great to see some more curly hair tutorials for some much needed hair inspiration. I don’t really know how to wear my hair up and I’m getting bored of wearing it out all the time. Help! Thanks x

Hair Romance January 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thanks Rachel! I usually wear my curls up in a Twist & Pin updo but I will do some more curl hair tutorials on Hair Romance x

Megan February 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi Rachel
I LOVE your curls so i have to ask is it natural or a perm.
I ask because i had my hair permed a few months ago trying to get exactly what you have in your pic… unfortunately what i got was dry extremely damaged hair and no curl to show for it. If it is a perm could you tell me how you achieved such a wonderful look?
Your awesome thank you

Hair Romance February 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi Megan, it’s my natural hair. I have had it permed in the past and it’s possible to achieve with larger rollers. Perms are difficult as they are hard to control and are very damaging. If you’ve had an unsuccessful perm I would wait at east 6 months before trying another perm to give your hair some time to recover.

Megan February 9, 2013 at 8:47 am

Hi Sorry i read the wrong name!!!
Thanks Christina for all the great tutorials!

Hair Romance February 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thanks Megan! Christina x

Georgia February 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hello,

What a great blog.

I have naturally curly hair and I hate going to the hairdressers for a cut as I never know what Im going to get… I need to find someone that cuts curly hair well.

Any suggestions in Sydney? (South preferably)

Thanks so much,
g.

Hair Romance February 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Hi Georgia, my hairdresser is Stevie English in Bondi but prob not that convenient for you? I would ask locally to see if you can get a recommendation. Then make sure you book a consultation when you go in. Take some pictures and go with your hair naturally curly so they can see what your hair is like. If after a consultation you don’t trust them to do your hair, just get a wash and blowdry. You don’t have to get a cut if you don’t think they will do a good job. Good luck, Christina x

Marisa Anderson March 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Loved your tip about bringing inspiration pictures. Great tip. And you are sooo totally right sulfate-free shampoos make a whole world of difference!
Marisa Anderson recently posted..A Beginner’s Guide: How To Dye Your HairMy Profile

Hair Romance March 4, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks Marisa, sulphate free is the way for curls x

Kim April 13, 2013 at 8:06 am

Hi just wondering would your cut work on fine curly hair? When my hair is curly looks like I have alot but when straight it looks really thin. I have been wearing it straight for a few years and now can’t seem to find a way to wear it curly because it gets afro like very easily. Thinking it is the cut after seeing your picture. Mine is all one length so it looks bushy when curly.

Hair Romance April 13, 2013 at 11:05 am

Hi Kim, yes it can work in fine hair but you would probably want to keep some longer layers so it doesn’t look thin at the ends. After straightening for a while it can take time for your curls to keep their shape. You can use a curling wand to touch up your curls which helps them look more defined too

Nancy April 18, 2013 at 12:41 am

I don’t use shampoo at all. I just use conditioner. I have done this for the past 8 years with maybe 2 uses of shampoo/year. I smell nice and my hair is healthy and moisturized. Any my curls are happy.

Hair Romance April 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thanks Nancy! I should give co-washing another try in my hair x

Silvia Ramezani May 15, 2013 at 9:09 am

I have thick curly hair. My hair has been processed many times. I want to love my natural curly hair, besides a great haircut what can i do so that my curls look amazing and not Frizzy

Hair Romance May 16, 2013 at 6:04 am

Hi Silvia, check out my tips on how to get your curl back. Hope this helps! X

Moira January 6, 2014 at 9:12 am

I have really thick and curly hair. My hair will go really curly in the front and it looks great but in the back it is loose and wavy. My hair is also really long (down to my waist). Could the weight and length of my hair be factoring into non curly hair in the back? The only reason I’m growing out my hair is to donate it so I don’t really want to cut it off. Would that be my best choice? I haven’t tried a diffuser but I plan on buying one soon.

Hair Romance January 7, 2014 at 7:45 am

Hi Moira, I think it’s amazing that you’re donating your hair! It’s most likely the weight of your hair that’s turning your curls into waves. After you donate your hair you’ll find it so much easier to look after, and you’ll feel great for helping someone with a new wig x

Moira January 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Thank you Christina! And I love your hair!! :D

Hair Romance January 7, 2014 at 9:05 pm

:) thank you x

Feliza February 17, 2014 at 10:37 am

My question is what do you say if a hairdresser who “does” curly hair says she doesn’t like to thin out hair to take bulk out? I have wavy/curly hair that I think does better with lots of layers and thinned out. I don’t know what to really ask for anymore and my hair is more bushy and frizzy with some curly pieces and some wavy more stressed out tresses.

Hair Romance February 17, 2014 at 10:55 am

Hi Feliza, I always say there’s not one type of curl. Your hairdresser may not like to thin out hair, but if you’re not happy with your hair she needs to listen to you. Is there another stylist in the salon you could see? Can you take in a photo of your hair with a cut that you liked to show her what you want? Good luck x

marti June 27, 2014 at 3:06 am

I use a tiny drop of olive oil, I rub it between both hands to create slight heat, I tilt my head forward then add it all over my wet hair; I then use my hairdryer with my diffuser and use the cold air till my hair is 85% dry at this point I let it air dry on its own. Thats it.

Hair Romance June 27, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Great tip for using olive oil Marti, thanks for sharing x