Here’s some big hair to take you to next season and back again.
It’s always been a dream of mine to create a hairstyle for New York Fashion Week and I think Guido has made my dream hair come true for Marc by Marc Jacobs. It’s funny as I was interviewed recently and I even specifically said I wanted to do the hair for Marc Jacobs and could see him sending curly hair down the runway. Hair director Guido Palau for Redken describes it as “a take on the forties meets seventies,” but it’s not too prim. The brushed out curls and backcombing give it a dishevelled, cool finish.
How to get the look
Guido Palau in action backstage, prepping the hair before curling it.
- Apply Redken guts 10 volumizing spray foam from roots to ends to create volume and a base for styling. Blow-dry your hair.
- When your hair is dry, make a deep side part. Then curl your hair in small sections, alternating with a 1-inch curling iron and 1 1/4 inch iron, pinning each curl to the head with setting pins.
- Most important: Leave the curls to set and then only when your hair has cooled, unpin each curl.
- After unpinning each curl, run your fingers lightly through curls and then gently brush them out with a boar bristle brush for more volume.
- Backbrush the top front section of your hair and then sweep the section across your forehead and secure in place with a bobby pin.
- Finish by spraying the entire style with Redken fashion work 12 versatile working spray to smooth the surface and hold the style.
I’m often asked how to curl hair and I can’t emphasize enough that it’s how you cool your curls that counts. Also, go for a curling iron smaller than you want your finished curls to be, as your hair will always drop and the curls appear bigger as you wear them.
The key to achieving this big hair is layering in product to hold the curl, and pinning every curl in place so that they set. Then you can brush them out to create this look.
More NYFW hair reports next week, but I think this is my favorite look so far.
Do you follow fashion weeks? What’s your fave beauty trend from NYFW?