My mother is an amazing woman. She likes to give advice, whether you want to hear it or not. Most of the time she’s right. Well, a lot of the time (but don’t tell her!).
Her first piece of beauty advice that she always reminds me of is:
Always take off your makeup.
I’m pretty good at following her advice, though there are those late nights where I slip up…
My mum’s routine is simple. She uses a very basic cleanser (and isn’t loyal to any particular brand) and then moisturises with a vitamin E cream.
Being the beauty product junkie I am, I like to mix it up and these are my favorite makeup removers.
2. Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel – I love this gentle cleanser as it doesn’t sting your eyes. I buy the large pump pack to keep in the shower. The trick is to lather it in your hands first before applying it to your face. Available from Adore Beauty and ULTA Beauty.
3. philosophy purity made simple foaming 3-in-1 cleansing gel for face and eyes - A new fave, I picked this up in Sephora recently and love how it removes makeup and cleanses in one step. It’s not drying on my skin and the perfect cleanser for when I’m wearing light makeup. Available from Adore Beauty and Sephora.
4. Bioderma Crealine* – This French pharmacy cult product is now more widely available in Australia and I couldn’t be happier. This “miracle water” is a gentle micellar solutions that dissolves eye makeup without irritation. Great for removing long lasting lipsticks too. Available from Adore Beauty and selected pharmacies.
5. Swisspers Cotton Pads – always on hand in my bathroom for removing eye makeup. Available from supermarkets and pharmacies.
6. Nivea Daily Essentials Facial Cleansing Wipes – For those nights when you cannot be bothered taking your makeup off (but can still hear your mother’s voice in your ear) these wipes are a quick fix. Keep them in your bedside draw so there’s no excuse not to take off your makeup, even when you can’t lift your head off the pillow. Available from supermarkets and pharmacies.
7. Clarisonic Mia 2* – I resisted trying the Clarisonic for a long time and now I can’t even remember why. Now it’s available in Australia, and for a better price, it makes the Clarisonic impossible to resist. The effects on my skin are instant and I’m now addicted to that super clean feeling. Available from Adore Beauty and Sephora.
Do you take your makeup off every night? What’s your favorite cleanser and what beauty lessons has your mother taught you?