When is a braid a plait? Or when is a plait a braid?
Do you find braiding terminology confusing? I used to, as there are so many ways to describe braids. In the UK and Australia, a plait is a basic 3 strand braid. I now use US terminology to make things easier, but on my earlier posts you’ll read more about plaits.
For this hairstyle, I have to revert to the term ‘plait’. A waterfall braid is a totally different style, and I couldn’t think of another way to describe this braid.
The waterfall plait is like a cross between a waterfall braid and a crown braid. Pieces of hair cascade out of the plait, and the two plaits are pinned around the back of your head in a low half-crown.
Waterfall Plait Hairstyle Tutorial
This style can be done in curly or straight hair. Adding in some curl will make the waterfall sections blend in better with your hair. I’ve used a 25mm curling wand to create this curl in my hair.
- Start by sectioning off hair a two inch section of hair on your right side. Split the section into three equal pieces and begin your plait (braid).
- Form your braid as normal, crossing the left over the middle and the right over the left. When you cross over the third piece, drop a section free from the braid and let it hang down.
- Repeat down the braid (plait), dropping a piece loose from every section that crosses over from the top. You’ll end up with a braid as in the third picture. Secure the end with an elastic.
- Repeat on the left hand side, creating another waterfall plait and secure the end with a clear elastic.
- Use bobby pins to pin the braids (plaits) across the back of your head in a low half-crown hairstyle. Pin one braid across and then tuck the ends of the second braid behind the first and pin in place.
- Start with a larger section of hair for each braid. This will leave enough hair in your plait (braid) as you drop sections out. Unlike a normal waterfall braid, you don’t add in any hair to this waterfall plait.
- Use small clear elastics at the end of each braid (plait) as they won’t stand out in the finished style.
- If your hair is long you can fold the braids in half then pin in place.
Do you get confused with braiding terms like plait and braid? Do you like this waterfall plait hairstyle? Love you to share it and let me know if you try it.