The rope twist braid is a classic style that looks more complicated than it really is.
This two strand braid is created by twisting your hair in one direction, then wrapping the two sections together in the opposite directing. The contrast in directions forms a strong braid that can be worn as a ponytail style, or twisted around into buns or chignons.
Hairstyle tutorial – how to do a rope twist braid
- Brush your hair to remove any knots before you begin.
- Gather all your hair into a high ponytail. You can also do this as a side ponytail or low ponytail.
- Split your ponytail into two equal sections and twist both sections to the left.
- Wrap the left section over the right to form the rope twist. Swap hands as you wrap the section so that you keep tension in the braid.
- Keep twisting the sections to the left and wrapping them to the right until you reach the end of your ponytail.
- Secure the end with a clear elastic. You can gently stretch the sides of the braid to emphasise the shape and make your hair look thicker.
Other rope twist braid hairstyles to try
Twist your rope braid around into a bun for a chic updo. The braid adds a gorgeous detail to your bun. It’s also very secure so makes it a comfortable updo for long hair.
You can find more bun hairstyle inspiration in my 30 Buns in 30 Days ebook available here.
Thanks to my model Michaela of Lather Rinse Repeat and you can find out how to get her crazy coloured hair using hair chalk here.
Let me know if you try the rope braid in your hair! Tag your photos #hairromance on Instagram so I can see them!