How to re-style curly hair on the second day – new video tutorial

by Hair Romance on October 22, 2013 · 6 comments

in Curly Hair,Hair Romance TV,Tutorials

Here’s a little trick I do to re-style my messy curls on the second day. It’s a bit of a styling cheat to get more polished curls.

Hair Romance - How to re-style curly hair

I made this video ages ago and I’m not sure why I haven’t posted it. Well, I do know. I’m terrible at making videos! I recorded a series of curly hair tutorials and I’ll be posting a new one every day this week!

I filmed this video when I was staying on the ridiculously amazing Hayman Island. It’s a paradise in the middle of the Whitsundays in Queensland. I was lucky to go there on a work trip with Tourism Queensland and The Remarkables Group and I can’t wait to go back. I also visited Whitehaven Beach which is probably the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.

But back to the hair. I only had a really short break before we left Hayman Island and I quickly filmed 5 hair tutorials in a row. Here’s my first one on how I tidy up my messy curls.

Click here to watch the video tutorial on YouTube.

How to re-style curly hair

Using a small curling wand is a quick cheat way to create more uniform curls. It’s also a great trick if you have hair that won’t co-operate.

For those annoying straight/curly sections, you can wet your hair and twist it to help your curl form, or just grab a curling wand to set it in place.

I used the H2D X3 curling wand and the smallest barrel is approximately the same size as my curls so it blends well in my hair.

Don’t forget to use a heat protectant before you start! And for those final frizzies I love O&M Frizzy Logic. You can also add some styling powder for extra volume at the root.

Hair Romance - How to curl curly hair

So now you know my cheat for fixing my messy curls. How do you re-style your hair on the second day?

Check back for more hairstyle tutorials in curly hair every day this week xx

Jelise October 22, 2013 at 2:38 am

Do you comb through your hair when it’s dry? I find that I have terrible knots on the underside of my curls by day two, but if I comb through my hair (with a pick or wide tooth comb, never a brush) when it’s dry it gets super frizzy and I lose most of the curl. Even using a spray bottle and some curl revitalizer doesn’t help. So day two is always a bun or braid.

Hair Romance October 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm

My hair is quite similar Jelise, it does get knotty underneath which is why I only restyle the top layer. I only use a wide comb to detangle if I’m putting my hair in an upstyle. I leave the knots there until I wash my hair and I find it’s much easier to remove them with conditioner. I can only get 2 days with my curls down then I’m in a braid or bun too x

Chassity October 22, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I have a water bottle that I’ve added a few squirts of conditioner to. Before bed, I spritz the canopy of my hair and then use a t-shirt and the plopping method. By morning, my wavy hair has large, chunky curls that look like curls from a hot roller. It’s amazing! It works for second and third day hair.

The problem I have, though, is that the curls only hold for a few hours. By afternoon, the canopy looks dry and slightly frizzy. Any suggestions? I currently use Moroccanoil curl cream, but haven’t found a good product for hold that doesn’t dry out my hair.

Hair Romance October 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm

that’s a great tip Chassity, thanks for sharing! Maybe try reapplying the leave in conditioner spray at the ends of your hair during the day? Or I apply another product like O&M Frizzy Logic at the ends of my hair.

Lillia December 5, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Hi I was wondering how I could enhance my curls without spending a fortune on products I have naturally curly hair and I used to straighten my hair with out any heat protectant, although that is very important now. Plus most of my curs are in the length of my hair instead of the crown what could I do, besides curl my crown hair, to get my natural full body?

Hair Romance December 9, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi Lillia, if you want your natural curls to reform, the less products you use the better. Make sure you’re using a sulphate free shampoo and conditioner. You can DIY your own hair treatments with coconut oil which isn’t expensive at all. If you really want your curls back you should stop straightening your hair and let your hair air dry as much as possible. Good luck xx