Let’s talk about the scrunchie

by Hair Romance on October 7, 2013 · 20 comments

in Hair Products,Hair Trends

Let's talk about the scrunchie

So I’ve been spotting a few scrunchies on the fashionistas on the street during Milan Fashion Week and it concerns me.

I’m not a fan of the scrunchie.

But first I have a few scrunchie confessions…

Scrunchie confession No.1

My first job was making scrunchies.

At the age of six I started helping my sister make scrunchies to sell in her hair salon.

My sister would cut all the fabric and sew the scrunchie tubes and then it was my job to twist them right way around. It’s a tedious job but it was much easier with my little child fingers.

I also made a dollar a scrunchie that sold, which was a very lucrative income for a six year old.

My favourites were the polka dot ones. The gingham scrunchies were also very popular.

Yes, I admit I contributed to the first wave of scrunchie popularity.

Scrunchie confession No.2

I had a scrunchie wardrobe.

Even with my career as a scrunchie maker, I spent most of my profits on acquiring more scrunchies.

I had scrunchies to match any outfit, and had a hierarchy of scrunchies. Velvet ones only for special occasions!

Now I don’t own a single scrunchie. I also am reminded by that scene from Sex and the City where Carrie says no self respecting woman from New York would wear a scrunchie.

I put it out there on facebook and instagram and a few strong voices spoke up in defence of the scrunchie. I’m open to your opinions and would love to hear why you love or hate the scrunchie.

What’s your scrunchie confession?

Karen October 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

Being it’s just a TV show, I wouldn’t place any weight on what a scripted character says.

I have long (waist-length) fine hair and scrunchies are not only kinder to my hair, they hold better. I’m not a fashion slave, I wear what I like, not what some self-appointed fashion maven says I should wear.

connor October 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

no scrunchies are great. they dont put dents in your hair and as long as they’re not super puffy no one can tell the difference

Rachael October 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Until about a year ago, I used a scruchie to tie my hair up at night. I lost it when I left my entire toiletry bag in a hotel room, and haven’t gotten a new one. Maybe it’s the thickness or something, but it didn’t leave ponytail-holder-bumps like my daytime elastics sometimes do.

Sarah October 8, 2013 at 1:41 am

I use one to to pull my hair up when I sleep too. Regular ponytail holders bend and break my hair. The scrunchie helps with volume, and keeps my hair off my face.

nicola lynde October 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I have a similar line of scrunchie confessions, only mine were made from the scraps from dance leotards, think lots of velvet, sequins and neon. Since growing out of them with the end of the 90′s I hadn’t given them another thought….and then I moved to Denmark. Land of the schrunchie. I don’t know if it’s a 90′s revival thing, or if they never left, but they run rampant. They are the go to for high top knots. I would even venture to say the girls look chic in them. So I’m not sure where that leaves me in the debate. I certainly won’t be sporting one but I don’t know if I’m against either.
nicola lynde recently posted..In the studioMy Profile

Catherine October 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I remember buying a bucket’o’scrunchies when i was little and my sister and i went mental matching scrunchies to outfits. my mum even took a scrap of my school dress fabric and made a matching scrunchie for school. I honestly don’t think i could wear one now but i did keep one as a reminder. I know the 90s is so hot right now and thats maybe why they’ve come back but it was from my childhood, so its not the same feeling of nostalgia for me!
Catherine recently posted..BarbaraMy Profile

Chassity October 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I recently bought my first scrunchie ever to pineapple my hair and keep my curls intact throughout the night. I don’t think I’d wear it out of the house, but like Rachael said, it doesn’t leave bumps in my hair like a regular ponytail holder. When I let my hair down, I have a glorious riot of curls–my hair is actually curlier when I use a scrunchie. Without it, I only have waves.

Natalia October 7, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I just can’t do the scrunchie. It’s not cute and reminds me too much of the 80′s. I don’t know, it’s like a mom’s hair tie and I don’t want to be ‘that mom’!!
Natalia recently posted..Wardrobe Challenge – Leather PantsMy Profile

Emilie October 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

I was never a big fan of the scrunchie. It looks kinda weird.

Becky October 8, 2013 at 10:33 am

Ha ha, great topic! I was a dancer when scrunchies were big, so of course I used them a lot. I got rid of them years ago, but about a year ago I fished through all my oldest accessories desperately in search of one. The whole no-dent thing had occurred to me. I often put my hair in a ponytail as a first step toward a bun and I don’t want it super tight necessarily, or dented, and I definitely don’t want the hair tie to get all tangled in my hair and rip a fistful of hair out at the end of the day.

I found a smallish black satin scrunchie and a big poofy purple velvet one. No action yet on the poofy purple one, but the small black one comes in handy!
Becky recently posted..Three Bloggers for Real Women, Wearing Real ClothesMy Profile

Jessica October 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

Sometimes, on sundays, I go out to rent movies with my scunchie on.

Nikki @ Styling You October 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm

A couple of years ago I saw them return at Mimco. Shudder. I too had a scrunchie wardrobe and so did my daughter! She even had school scrunchies in her uniform colour. I’m not ready for their return but I do like a crayband instead of a hair elastic for a pony.
Nikki @ Styling You recently posted..The Model and Me: MosseeMy Profile

Sally October 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm

My mum used to make our scrunchies. Usually in neon brights… It was the 80′s! They were GIANT. The bigger, the better, and they were most often fastened around my ballet bun for class, and I thought I was the bee’s knees! It also was not unusual for me to put on an outfit, and then raid my mum’s vast fabric collection for a matching hue and ask her to quickly whip one up for me five minutes before leaving the house.

Tammy October 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I have classic length hair and I love my scrunchies… but for my hair texture, they hold great and keep breakage to a minimum. I don’t use them everyday, but I like having scrunchies around for keeping my hair pulled back into a soft ponytail. And I am not ashamed of my scrunchies.

Sharon October 8, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Srunchies are great for at home wear. Keeps my hair (curly or straight) out of my way with no bends.

Jen October 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

Scrunchies should be left back in the 1980s along with some of the clothes. I used to wear them but wouldn’t go near them again even now my hair’s a bit longer. It’s a personal choice for me like wearing 1970s retro gear is a personal choice that others might throw up at the thought of.
Jen recently posted..What do high school kids do in school holidays?My Profile

Lindsay October 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I get migraines often (today for example) and while I usually have my waist length hair held up in a clip on headache days it just hurts too much. That’s where scrunchies come in, they keep my hair out of the way and don’t hurt my head or my hair. Honestly if I need my hair out of the way that bad I’m probably doing something where I already look like hell and it doesn’t matter :)

I love mine, they definitely serve a purpose in my life and I’m not bothered by any possible 80s flashbacks mine are always small and neutral colors, not the huge brightly colored monstrosities from yesteryear. Also I’m not wearing my ponytail on the side of my head so there’s that.

Debbie October 12, 2013 at 3:03 am

I agree that scrunchies totally are “dated” looking…BUT Nothing has come out since the 80′s that holds hair up as efficiently without denting, tangling or causing hair breakage. Personally, my current scrunchies are all smaller and in non descript colors, and I think they’re life savers.

Lourdes January 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Considering how heavy and thick my hair is, a scrunchie is usually the only thing that can hold it up without giving me a massive headache. It might not be cool in SATC, but that show isn’t cool in my eyes either ;)