It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with a bright lip.
A red lip is my favourite trick for looking polished even when I’m hardly wearing makeup.
It wasn’t that long ago that I was nervous wearing a bright lip. I would try one on and then change my mind and take it off before I went out. Wearing a bright lip can take some getting used to but that’s all it is. Anyone can rock a red lip.
5 easy tips for perfect red lips
- Exfoliate your lips – Use your toothbrush to gently brush your lips to exfoliate any dead skin. Any rough surface on yourclips will appear magnified with red lipstick. You can also use a sugar scrub to exfoliate your lip.
- Prepare your lips – Use a balm to smooth your lips. My favourite is Maybelline Baby Lips
- Use a lipbrush – Don’t apply a bright red lip straight from the tube. You get a much better finish using a lip brush. You can use a lip pencil to outline your lips but I prefer to use a lip brush to line and fill in my lips with the lipstick. If I do use a pencil, I colour in my whole lip, not just do an outline. Then I apply a lipstick over the top of the lip pencil for a long wearing red lip.
- Reshape your lips – Bright colours accentuate the shape of your lips so don’t be afraid to create a more symmetrical lip line. It’s okay to colour a little outside the lines. Use your lip brush or pencil to even out your lips for a symmetrical shape.
- Blot & reapply – For a long wearing red lip, blot your lipstick with a tissue and apply a light second coat of lipstick. Some colours need more care than others, so pack a mirror in your purse. I have a fantastic lip brush from Sephora that’s in a case so you can do precise touch ups on the go.
Anyone can wear red lipstick. If you’re still not sure about it, I urge you to give it a try. Just remember to smile.
Do you love wearing red lipstick? What’s your favourite lippie?
PS. Here are my fave red lipsticks for day and night.