Do you need to see a curl specialist if you have curly hair?

by Hair Romance on March 12, 2014 · 13 comments

in Curly Hair

Hair Romance - How to get a great curly haircut

All curls are not created equal. Finding a hairdresser who understands this can be tough.

I know, I’ve had several bad haircuts in my time.

I had an email from a lovely reader asking about curly haircuts:

Just discovered your blog and love it! I’m just recently trying to really embrace my curly hair after years of straightening it and fighting with it .. My question is about your haircut, what is it called or how can I explain this to my hairdresser? Also, is your hairdresser we’ll versed in cutting curls or is she just a “regular” stylist (that’s what mine is). Would you recommend finding a stylist that specializes in curls?

I currently have a shoulder length “lob” that looks great when straight but not so much when it’s natural .. Help!

It’s hard to find a balance between a haircut that suits both curly and straight hair. I wrote about my haircut here, as pictured above, with tips on how to get a great curly haircut.

At the moment I have a different haircut as my hair is longer and I have less layers. It’s all about finding a style that is easy for you to manage and get good hair quickly each morning.

My hairdresser is just a ‘regular’ stylist, but does a fantastic job with curls. Some stylists are just better than others when it comes to cutting hair.

It could be that they are more interested in curly hair, or have a varied client list that’s full of curls. You can find out by asking these questions of a new hairdresser to see if they love cutting curls.

Depending on the type of curls you have, you probably don’t need to a see a “curl specialist”.

A few friends have gone to specialist curl salons and haven’t loved their hair. One friend even called it the worst haircut she’d ever had. She described the haircut as him randomly chopping at bits of hair and leaving her with an uneven haircut and huge bill to pay.

Curl stylists who only cut hair dry don’t make allowances for the different ways that you style your hair. They assume your curls will always behave in the same way or that you’ll always wear your hair curly.

I am a big fan of curly specialists but I believe they best suit people with very curly hair. Those with a wave or more open curl don’t always get the best haircuts there in my opinion.

As for your cut, a lob is a great cut for straight or curly hair. You maybe just need a little reshaping or some styling tips. Ask your hairdresser at your next appointment.

Are you a fan of dry haircuts? Do you believe curl specialists are the only ones that should look after curly hair?

Phyrra March 12, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I always love your hair. Your stylist does a fabulous job.

Hair Romance March 12, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Thanks lovely! xx

Amelia March 12, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I too have had my fair share of bad cuts in my lifetime. I have fine hair, but plenty of it, thats neither curly nor stick straight, it’s wavy and I have a pretty strong cowlick at the front. Although at times my hair can look somewhat messy,with the right product and technique I can get loose spiral curly-waves.I’m lucky in the fact that I can easily wear my hair straight or curly. As you mentioned this can make it tricky to get a cut that works for both straight and curly/wavy hair. I’ve had both wet and dry cuts, regardless the best cuts I’ve ever had are when the stylist and I are both on the same page. I think that communication and knowing your hair, plays a big role in the cut that you get. To me the benefit of a curly specialist is the education they can provide you with regarding styling and caring for your hair. Perhaps having super curly hair makes its a whole different story.

Hair Romance March 13, 2014 at 12:22 am

Great point Amelia! It’s all down to communication and that really is in the consultation.

Sherry March 13, 2014 at 12:55 am

I go to a curl specialist now who cuts my hair dry and love my current hair cut! I started going because I pretty much only wear my hair curly now and rarely straighten it. However, when I did like going back and forth between straight and curly I went to a “normal” stylist who had curly hair. Anytime I had to switch salons, if I moved or something, I would just ask at the new salon which stylist had naturally curly hair and went to that person. Even if our curls weren’t the same that person usually understood the complexity of curly hair and will cut accordingly. Hope that helps!

Hair Romance March 13, 2014 at 8:43 am

Great tip Sherry! Thanks for commenting x

Erica March 13, 2014 at 5:06 am

I love your hair, and your hair stylist! You’re so beautiful with curly hair! I love when I see ladies walking about with newly curled hair from the normal straight hair look. It puts an entirely different look out than some straight hair.

Keep up these awesome articles, and these beautiful hair-do’s!

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Erica :)

Shaye March 15, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I have coarse B/C curls (much more wavy on top, more open, large ringlets underneath) and will never get my hair cut by a regular stylist again. I never had anyone cut my hair who knew what they were doing or produced a decent cut for my hair until I went to a curl specialist and she did a dry cut. She’s not fancy, I just found someone with great reviews in my area on naturallycurly.com and I’ve been seeing her for almost 10 years now. I’ve followed her to three different salons and would go get my hair cut in a shack in the woods if that’s where she was working. I’ve loved my hair so much more since I started seeing her.

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for commenting Shaye. Like you, once I find a good stylist I stick with them. Glad you’ve found someone who understands your hair xx

Tracy March 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I stopped going to the hairdresser for hair cuts because I ended up hating so many of the cuts I got mainly because the stylist didn’t listen or took more than I wanted. For example, my hair is quite long, down to my waist, so I would ask for long layer and they’d give me short layers instead and I’d end up looking ridiculous. I was so upset one day after hairdressers Mam offered to see if she could try an fix it for me.
So I let her because she always cut my hair as a child for me and I’ve haven’t looked back, my hair has never looked better (no she is not a hairdresser nor was she ever) but I think she has an understanding of my hair and loves my curls as much, if not more, than I do. So it has worked out well…and it saves me a fortune in hairdressing costs!!!
Love this blog, have gotten so many helpful tips about looking after curly hair, people have even commented on it since I made a few simple changes, so thank you!!

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thank you so much Tracy! You’re lucky to be able to get such great haircuts at home. I love that you love your curls xx

Debra March 19, 2014 at 3:38 pm

After another bad haircut from someone who allegedly specialized I. Curly hair, I cut my own. I pictured the desired shape in my mind and how it should be cut to achieve that shape. I did essentially what you have in this picture! To bad I cannot find any one to do it though.