I’m always experimenting with quick ways to tidy up my curls on the second (or third) day. This rope twist bun hairstyle is a cute variation on a regular side bun. It’s fast to do, so you can get out the door quickly in the morning. Plus this buns stays in place all day so it’s perfect for a long day.
Rope twists are one of my favourite braids for adding texture to buns. This simple twisted braid adds interest and detail to your everyday hairstyle.
This bun hairstyle is perfect for second day hair. With my hair, I like to wear my curls out on Day 1, sleep with it like this so I can wear it out again on Day 2, and then put it up in this bun for Day 3.
Try it in your hair with this easy hairstyle tutorial. All you need is a small clear hair elastic and a few bobby pins.
Rope Twist Bun Hairstyle Tutorial in Curly Hair
- Gather all your hair to the side and split your hair into two equal sections.
- Twist both sections in the same direction. For example, twist both sections to the right.
- Wrap both sections together in the opposite direction. If you twist to the right, then you want to wrap to the left.
- Repeat to finish your rope twist braid. Keep twisting each section in the same direction and the wrapping them in the opposite direction.
- Secure the end of your braid. Using a small elastic that’s clear or the same colour is best as it won’t be obvious in the finished style.
- Curve the braid around to form a bun. Pin it in place with bobby pins and you’re done! If you want some more texture you can stretch out the rope braid before forming the bun.
This bun isn’t just for curly hair. Try it in straight or wavy hair too.
Let me know if you try this style in your hair. Tag your instagram photos #hairromance!