Curly bun hairstyle tutorial – two ways

by Hair Romance on June 18, 2014 · 22 comments

in Curly Hair,Tutorials

Hair Romance - braid or twist - curly bun hairstyle tutorial

I don’t think there are enough hair tutorials that show naturally curly hair so I’m loving my mini-series of hair tutorials in my messy curls.

These bun hairstyles are perfect for second (or third) day curls that are a bit slept on and don’t look fresh enough to wear out.

For most of my tutorials, I usually wear my hair straight. I know this is a contradiction but there are a couple of reasons.

It’s just much easier to shoot clear step-by-step tutorials in straight hair. I can redo each step and I don’t have to worry about continuity.

With curly hair, the more I play with my hair, the frizzier it gets.

Styling and shooting my messy curls can be tricky, especially after the fourth take.

But these curly hairstyles are so easy, you can do them in one go.

Hair Romance - curly bun and braid hairstyle tutorial

My first tutorial is the curly braid bun. After I shot it I thought you might want an easier, no-braid version.

The curly twist bun is for you.

Hair Romance - curly bun and twist hairstyle tutorial

Both styles are easy to do in your own hair, and will make your bedhead curls neat in just a minute.

Curly braid bun hairstyle tutorial

Hair Romance - curly braid bun hair tutorial

You’ll need:

• A hair elastic or hair bungee
  • Small clear hair elastic (optional)
  • Bobby pins

Step-by-step

1. Separate a section of hair on the left and gather the rest of your hair at the nape of your neck. This section will become your braid, so make it as big or as small as you like.
  2. Put the rest of your hair in a ponytail. You can use a hair elastic but I prefer a hair bungee in curly hair. There are far less tangles and knots that when I try and pull my curls through an elastic. I recommend all curly girls pick up a few hair bungees for ponytails.
  3. Twist your ponytail around into a bun. If you have fine hair, you can use a hair donut to create a larger bun.
  4. Create your braid. Take some hair from the top and split it into three equal sections. Cross the right over the middle, then the left over the right. On the next section, add in some hair to combine with that section and cross it into the middle. Continue until all your hair is combined in the braid. Secure the end of you braid with a small elastic if you need to. I find my curls keep the braid in place.
  5. Wrap your braid over and around your bun. Pin in place with bobby pins.

Hair Romance - curly bun braid hairstyle tutorial

Curly twist bun hairstyle tutorial

Hair Romance - curly twist bun hair tutorial

You’ll need:

• A hair elastic or hair bungee
  • bobby pins

Step-by-step

1. Separate a section of hair on the left and gather the rest of your hair at the nape of your neck. This section will become your twist, so make it as big or as small as you like.
  2. Put the rest of your hair in a ponytail. You can use a hair elastic but I prefer a hair bungee in curly hair. There are far less tangles and knots that when I try and pull my curls through an elastic. I recommend all curly girls pick up a few hair bungees for ponytails.
  3. Twist your ponytail around into a bun. If you have fine hair, you can use a hair donut to create a larger bun.
  4. Create your twist. Starting at the top, twist two equal pieces of hair together. Twist away from your face. Add in hair and remember to keep twisting away from your face. You can also angle your twist back towards your bun so that it sits flatter against your head. Use a bobby pin to hold the twist in place if you need to.
  5. Wrap your twist over and around your bun. Pin in place with bobby pins.

Hair Romance - curly bun twist hairstyle tutorial

Do you prefer the braid or the twist? Which style would you wear? Let me know in the comments!

Try more of my curly hair tutorials like the curly rolled headband hairstyle tutorial, the double bun hairstyle tutorial or the rope twist bun hairstyle tutorial.

Abby June 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Love this easy and laid back look. The messy details help to make this hairstyle look undone. :)

Hair Romance June 18, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Abby :)

Veronica June 19, 2014 at 4:55 am

I love this look. My hair is curly so I totally get the whole”Frizz” thing. I will definitely be trying this tomorrow :)

Hair Romance June 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Veronica! Sometimes I can see the frizz growing while I’m styling my hair lol :)

Maddy June 19, 2014 at 1:13 pm

The version with the braid would be good to tame messy pool hair if you forget a hair brush! And the twisted one looks like Elsa’s hair in the coronation from Frozen! Great tutorial! I’ll use it often!

Hair Romance June 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Thanks so much Maddy! It would definitely be great in wet hair and leave some pretty waves in your hair when it dries :)

shannon June 20, 2014 at 12:27 pm

thanks for the new curly hair ideas!! keep them coming please!! :)

Hair Romance June 20, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Shannon! I’m definitely doing more curly hair tutorials :)

Bec Clarke June 22, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Thank you, I have curly hair and no-one seems to pay any attention to those of us that do these days….

Hair Romance June 22, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Bec! I think curls are making a comeback, even if we have to make it happen ourselves ;)

Aurélie - lovelifelovefashion June 23, 2014 at 1:32 am

Wow beautiful! If my hair would be long enough, I would try this out in a heart beat!

x Aurélie

Hair Romance June 23, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Aurelie :)

Celia June 23, 2014 at 8:52 am
Hair Romance June 23, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Celia :)

Casey June 23, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Can’t tell you how excited I am to stumble across your blog that shows hairstyles that can actually be achieved without a second set and can be achieved on CURLY HAIR!!! These buns will dress up my slept-in locks without having to have put in all the effort for frizz-free hair // timidlioness

Hair Romance June 23, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Thanks Casey! You can find more of my curly hair posts here http://www.hairromance.com/category/curly-hair :)

sanabil beautifier June 23, 2014 at 9:15 pm

wow, awesome (Y) thanks alot girl for such an easy to go tutorials :)

Hair Romance June 23, 2014 at 11:09 pm

shannon June 24, 2014 at 2:36 am

LOVE them both! thanks! can you post how to use the bun donut? I don’t know how!
AND I spend a lot of time outside, on a boat in the summer and my curly hair is unruly and some of the curl actually gets BLOWN OUT! So I have this 1/2 curly 1/2 messy, 1/2 (wait the math doesn’t add up! ;) ) hair! Once I put on a hat, that is it, it’s not coming off because the top is FLAT. But then if we go to dinner at a marina/port, I need to do something with it to look presentable! Maybe this bun? Any fun idea? I know that will be a challenge!
thanks for the curly ideas!
Shannon

Hair Romance June 24, 2014 at 3:24 am

Thanks Shannon! Here’s my donut bun tutorial – http://www.hairromance.com/2012/03/how-to-top-knot-hairstyle-tutorial.html but I should shoot another version in curly hair, don’t you think? I also have a great tip for avoiding hat hair – part your hair to the opposite side when you put on your hat. Then when you take your hat off, part your hair back to your normal side and you’ll have tonnes of volume on top. Works every time :) The ends may still be a bit windblown so you could still put your hair up in this bun but at least your hair won’t be flat x

shannon June 24, 2014 at 4:29 am

wow! great ideas, thanks!!
(also, this is an old picture of my – the profile – and I can’t figure out where to go to change it! I look much better and different now! :) longer and darker)

Hair Romance June 26, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Shannon! I think you can go to gravatar.com to update your profile picture there :)