Today’s curly hairstyle tutorial is an easy updo for curly hair that you can do in minutes. I call this the curly twist bun because there’s twist detail that adds a little extra into your everyday bun.
This style features one of my favourite hair accessories – the hair bungee.
If you’ve ever struggled with hair elastics, especially in curly hair, then you will love this. The hair bungee is like a hair elastic but it’s straight and has a hook at either end.
The hair bungee solves the problem of having a hair elastic that is too tight for three loops around your ponytail but too loose going around twice. You know exactly what I mean, right? That too tight ponytail is solved with a hair bungee. It fits perfectly every time.
The reason I love bungees for curly hair is that there is no way that you need to pull a hair elastic through your curly hair to remove it out. You just unwind it the same way that you put it in and there’s no dragging and pulling on your hair. You can find hair bungees online on Amazon or at beauty supply stores.
Hair hack – you can create your own bungee by placing two bobby pins on either end of a hair elastic and wrapping it around your ponytail.
The curly twist bun tutorial
What you need:
- A hair bungee
- Bobby pins
- Leave out the front sections of your hair. We’ll add these in later.
- Gather the rest of your hair into a low ponytail just above the nape of your neck.
- Secure your ponytail place with a hair bungee or hair elastic. Create a little extra volume above your ponytail by pulling your hair above the elastic to create some shape.
- Next take the left side layers and twist them over the ponytail. Pin them in place with a bobby pin.
- Repeat on the right side twisting the layers over and around and pin them in place under your ponytail.
Note: My side layers are little bit shorter so they just fit around my ponytail. If you have longer hair, you can leave the ends loose and they’ll blend in to your ponytail.
- Tuck the ponytail up by wrapping it around two fingers and rolling it up to create a loose bun. Pin it in place at either end with bobby pins.
- You can actually leave the style as a twist ponytail, giving you two styles in one with this look.
- Don’t try to make curly styles too perfect. You probably have a few loose curls as I do. A few extra pins will hold any style in place and but I like a messy look. That’s the benefit of curly hair the messier the style the more intentional it looks.
This curly twist bun is an easy style that I love to wear for everyday but with a beautiful hair accessory you could easily dress this up for an occasion.
If you try this style, post a photo to instagram with #hairromance so I can see it.
Have you tried a hair bungee before? Are you a convert from regular elastics to hair bungees? Let me know in the comments below!