Here’s another everyday curly hairstyle tutorial to help you save time in the mornings.
This is part of my current series for curly hair to share real (and messy) curls in easy to style updos. I’m frustrated by the number of hairstyles for curly hair that show straight hair that has been curled with a curling wand.
Real curls have different shapes and are a bit frizzy. That’s what real curls do. I use products to reduce frizz and help style my hair. Unless you coat your hair in gel, you will still have some frizz and that’s totally normal.
Ok, rant over, let’s get into today’s curly hairstyle tutorial.
Inspired by the classic topsy-tail (remember those old hook tools?!) this curly hairstyle is a series of easy twists. It can be worn two ways, as a ponytail or tucked into a bun.
The ponytail version is a fun way to add detail to a low ponytail. My curls were pretty messy today so I like the tucked bun version. You can decide as you go and see which looks better in your hair.
Easy everyday curly hairstyle tutorial – The curly twist
What you need:
- 3 small hair elastics (clear is best, or choose a colour to match your hair)
- Bobby pins (for the tucked bun version)
- First you want to create 3 ponytail down the back of your head. Take the first section from around your temples. The second ponytail is directly below the first, level with your ears. The third is underneath in a line, gathering the rest of your hair at the nape of your neck.
- Let the topsy-tailing begin! You want to flip each ponytail up and over itself. Start by separating your hair to make a hole above the hair elastic on your first ponytail. Flip in up and over into the hole and tighten the elastic up.
- Repeat this topsy tail on the second ponytail. Before tightening the elastic on the second ponytail, tuck the first ponytail inside the hole on the second ponytail.
- Topsy tail the third ponytail, and tuck the top ponytails inside as well. Then tighten the elastic at the bottom. Here’s your finished ponytail twist hairstyle!
- For the tucked bun – roll your ponytail up and pin in at the nape of your neck. I like to leave a few pieces of hair loose around my face to soften the look.
Which is your favourite look – the ponytail or the bun?
Please pin and share this tutorial if you liked it and I’d love you to join me on Instagram to share your everyday hair with the hashtags #HReverydayhair and #HReverydaycurls