Hair Trend: Colour Block Hair

by Hair Romance on July 12, 2011 · 27 comments

in Hair Trends

I’ve loved the fashion trend of colour blocking and now it has crossed over to hair.

Colour blocked hair has hit the mainstream with Lauren Conrad dyeing her tips after her readers voted yes. Do you vote yes for colour block hair?

Image sources: Abbey Lee shot by Max Doyle for Vogue Australia, Natalie Hockey photographed by Jamie Nelson for UK Stylist Magazine, Pinterest, Lauren Conrad from thebeautydepartment.com. If you know the sources of the Pinterest images please let me know.

Melissa C July 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I love it! I just put bold bright red highlights in my hair and wish I woul have done this instead….it's next on my list :)

marissa at the boot July 12, 2011 at 9:48 pm

lc makes it look so cool! as do the other ladies shown here. i think it's so so fun!

p.s. i'm hosting an awesome jewelry giveaway if you're interested! :)

Hair Romance July 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

@Melissa C – Red is the new blonde! This is a great new way to do colour

@Marissa at the boot – LC's tips are so much fun aren't they? Love having fun with your hair

Cath July 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

You have to love Kevin Murphy's hair work (pics one and three of Abbey Lee). When these pics came out in Vogue for their March issue last year they blew my mind!! Still do.

Cath July 12, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Sorry…should have been pics one and six. Morning brain!

Jadegrrrl July 13, 2011 at 2:14 am

Love this look, might do my ends green come summer :D

once-sydney July 13, 2011 at 4:08 am

i love lc's! i had not seen it at all before she posted it on thebeautydepartment, but i've had it on my brain ever since!

Gretchen July 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

I was going to vote no until I saw the green/blue in the third picture. I really like that one and might even be able to pull it off. I would love to see a post about easy ways to get this look, especially temporary ones so I could just try it out.

Hair Romance July 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

@Cath – I do, I've had these pics in mind for a while and when I saw the Beauty Dept I knew I had to post them all.

@Jagegrrrl – that would be gorgeous on you!!

@once-sydney – so fun isn't it?

@Gretchen – beautiful isn't it? The Beauty Dept just did a how to and I have some tips on temporary styles, will post tomorrow

xx

msmadamemakeup July 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm

hmmm, not a huge fan but done in the right way on the right person it can look super cool!

Lynne Guyan Tanzer July 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I love this so much.

Melody July 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Love it! I wonder if I could get away with this at the office…

Hair Romance July 14, 2011 at 12:06 am

@msmadamemakeup – I know what you mean, it's all about personality with colour

@Lynne Guyan Tanzer – See the next post for my hair history – I was ahead of the game…!

@Melody – I think you can, especially with the way LC has done it. You can twist your hair into a bun or French twist and hide the colour inside! It may be a bit harder if you dip dyed your fringe… lol

Madame B Fatale July 14, 2011 at 3:34 am

OOh this is kind of making me want to do the tips of my fringe as well……

Me, my best and I July 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Not sure how this translates to "real life" but the 1st and 2nd last pics make it look really cool- Would temporarily do for a festival in summer maybe!!

Hair Romance July 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

@Madame B Fatale – I love your hair! I think the fringe would look amazing on you. Please do it xx

@Me, my best and I – this could be fun to do with extensions? A fun temporary way to add some colour to your hair

Nat July 20, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I love it too and the colours in the third photo are gorgeous! I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to try it myself though :)

Hair Romance July 21, 2011 at 5:23 am

@Nat – those blues are gorgeous aren't they? I think it's a great trend to try if you're planning on cutting your hair as you can do it for a while and then cut if off when you're bored of it!

Lilly December 14, 2011 at 10:52 am

I vote YES! I have a blond streak in my hair but its grown out and kinda dry…:( Snarls soo easily! But I love the look! :)

Rachel R. January 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

I’ve had my hair purple for almost a year now ans suddenly its popular! lol

Hair Romance January 9, 2012 at 12:10 am

you are definitely a trendsetter x

kris March 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm

does anyone know a good hairdresser in syd that will do great work, like the above pics… also hair extensions?

Hair Romance March 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I can highly recommend Stevie English salon in Glebe (and soon in Bondi Junction). Stevie does my hair and he is a colour genius. The salon does some great colour work. I’ve recommended several friends there for dip dye and they all loved it (see Danimezza and Ish and Chi )