Wedding Makeup – Would you DIY?

Image from cclarebear

When Kate Middleton did her own wedding makeup it got me thinking, would you do your own wedding makeup?

I had a makeup artist do my wedding makeup (who is also my best friend – I know, lucky!) so I had total faith in him to make me look good on my wedding day.

If you’re thinking about doing your own makeup or wondering how to find the right makeup artist please go read this fabulous wedding makeup post by cclearbear. It offers some great advice to all you brides.

I agree with Clare and my advice to brides is to get your skin looking its best which starts a few months before the wedding. I love DMK skincare and also recommend a Dermalogica facial. But remember, nothing beats a good nights sleep and a healthy diet for great skin (and hair).

Would you do your own wedding makeup?

Comments

1. sarah kretchmer says

No way! I'm ok at doing makeup but preferred to leave it to the pros, especially as my photo was going to be taken a million times that day. I got it done at a Napoleon store and was really happy with it.

2. Corrina says

I did my own makeup. But I was a TV anchor/reporter and was taught how to get various looks. I did go to a salon and pick out makeup colors with them beforehand and we practiced what I wanted to do for the big day. I love the new lipstick that we picked out. Whenever I pick up that color, I think of my wedding day.
    My hair, on the other hand, was in the hands of pros.

3. Shelby says

Yep! I do my own makeup on a daily basis and love it. Why would I want to pay someone to make me look like someone else? And what if you hate it? I know too many women who pay someone to do their hair and makeup for their wedding and end up leaving only to re-do it themselves. I opted to do both myself and don't regret it a bit! I got tons of compliments. Granted, if you don't trust yourself, that's just dangerous.

4. Hannah says

I did my own makeup (and I'm happy to say I did it before Kate was even engaged!) I loved doing it myself because I felt great about taking it all off after the ceremony, and going with a totally different look for the reception. But, I also feel totally comfortable and LOVE doing my makeup. I splurged on the makeup I used on the wedding day, and just went to ULTA for some advice on well-photographed, stay-put makeup.

5. Mandy says

I did most of my own makeup along with my own hair. We were on a tight budget. :) I had a friend do my eye shadow and that was it. It turned out great. I have no complaints about it.

6. Jessica Morgan says

I did my own makeup, with some help from my Mom :) Before the wedding we visited various makeup counters and stores and asked them to give me a nice natural wedding look. Then I bought the products that I liked best. Definitely did a trial run before the wedding day to make sure things would go together well. No regrets whatsoever.

7. Lila says

We did our own make-up for my wedding. I don't wear any on a regular basis and I still wanted to feel comfortable and look myself yet feel beautiful, so putting anything on made a difference. The results were perfect.

8. Melody says

I probably would, unless I had a friend who's good with make-up and willing to do it.

I imagine that if I get married it will be fairly low key.

9. Jessica Farruggio says

I did my own makeup. I had gone to a couple of places to test out stuff and had some makeovers done, but they were badly done. I did it myself and it turned out nice!

10. Julie says

I did my own wedding make up and hair, and I love how it looked. Wouldn't have had it any other way, even if a pro did it for free. I like that I looked like me.

11. Bun Bun Makeup Tips says

I think I am capable of doing my own wedding makeup but I prefer to leave it to someone else to do it while I snooze away for a while. I bet I won't be able to sleep the night before!

12. Taylor says

I did my own makeup for my wedding for two reasons, 1) we were on a tight budget, and 2) I just wanted something low-key and more "me". :)

13. Television Makeup Artist Sydney says

hey you can see Sydney based mobile freelance hair and makeup artist providing service for film, television, wedding makeup, advertising, corporate, events and specializing in bridal makeup. they are amazing….

14. Norlin says

I actually did do my own make-up for my wedding. I guess I was lucky that I had pretty good skin then. The lady that did my hair did a trial make-up for me and it wasn't anything spectacular, so I thought I'd save the money and do my own. Glad I did.

15. Stephanie says

I did my own makeup. It never even crossed my mind to have someone else do it. If you’ve got a basic understanding of applying makeup and access to the Internet or beauty magazines, what’s the point? What could a makeup artist do that you can’t? And it seems like the bride would have the best understanding of how to make herself look like herself. Saves money, too.