Hair Accessory DIY – Floral headband

by Hair Romance on January 30, 2012 · 20 comments

in Hair Style Advice,My Hair,Tutorials

2012 is the year of the hair accessory.

I’ve said it before, and you’ll keep hearing it all year – hair accessories are everywhere.

Headbands had a red carpet moment at the Golden Globes. Headbands instantly lift a ponytail or messy bun into occasion hair. Inspired by the floral headpieces seen on Lana Del Ray, I thought I would try my hand at my own floral headband DIY.

Now I love a good DIY blog (Stripes & Sequins, I Spy DIY and A pair & a spare are my favourites) but I rarely make any of their projects. These ladies make it look easy but I never get around to starting a DIY project (let alone finishing one!). When I saw Danimezza make this easy floral headband I knew I could do it too.

Living so close to the city centre, I’m not sure where all these DIYers shop to find their materials. I did the best I could in a city haberdashery shop to find what I needed for my headband.

What you need

• Plain headband
  • Glue gun
  • Fake flowers

Step-by-step

• Pull the orange flowers off their stems and cut the tip off the back so they lie flat.
  • Work out roughly where you want to place the flowers before you begin.
  • Put some glue on the back of each flower and attach to your headband.

I struggled to find fake flowers and I found the ugliest bunch of fake flowers. Lucky they were very cheap, and I could see the potential of the orange flowers.

Now I see why DIY is so easy – a glue gun! I just bought a glue gun and it was so cheap and so easy to use. I’m going to be gluing everything that’s not already stuck down!

I am completely orange obsessed at the moment, and I’ll be wearing this floral headband with jeans and a white t, and it’s going to look perfect with a little striped dress I have. If you made this headband with white flowers it could be a beautiful bridal headpiece.

Do you love to DIY? Where are you favourite places to find materials? I’d especially love some DIY insider secrets from any Sydney girls as to where you find your materials.

Lilit - Makeup and Macaroons January 30, 2012 at 7:25 am

Great job Christina! I’ve lately gotten into DIY as well and it’s so addictive! I think I’ll have to give this floral headband a try next. And yeay for accessories, I’m so glad they’re back as the lazy me can just put my hair in a bun and stick some hair gem on it and I’m done :-)

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thanks Lilit! That’s why I love accessories too, minimum effort for maximum style x

Elli January 30, 2012 at 8:35 am

Ooh, I love it! When I start using a glue gun I just can’t stop, I start glueing everything :D

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

I feel like the same, how did I ever live without one?

Danimezza January 30, 2012 at 8:37 am

Making headbands is a lot of fun, here’s mine:

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 8:58 am

I loved your Dani! I linked to it in my post x

Catharine January 30, 2012 at 9:51 am

LOVE this. I am definitely going to do this. I have a bit of an obsession with Lana Del Try at the moment.

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

Thanks Catharine, it’s so easy and feels so fun when I wear it

Catharine January 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

Argh. That was supposed to say Lana Del Rey.

loulou January 30, 2012 at 11:12 am

Hello Christina,

Who’s a prwetty girl?
Gosh that orange looks lovely on you, and what a great job you did!

Aren’t those glue gun thingy’s amazing? The Mr Hair romance though there’s a lady with the glue gun and she’s not afraid to use it.

Have a wonderful day,

loulou, from hereiamloulou blog

x

loulou January 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

ummm..Typo alert
*the mr hair romance
should have read
*look out mr hair romance

sorry I couldn’t find a delete button for my comment

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Miss Loulou! I have just run out of glue sticks and Lincraft is out of stock too so he’s safe…for now…

Maria @CrashingRED January 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Love your DIY. The orange flowers are soo original. And you make it look so pretty!!!
Btw I made a very similar headpiece a while ago to wear to the races with a difference I sew black large flowers on a velvet ribbon. I wear it sometimes as a hand band now :)

xx
ps. Cant wait to see you this Sunday!
ps.ps. Your comment on my recent post: yes, it was worst than I thought initially. It looked all fine but as soon I started digging further… the problem is that often not many people can see such things. So darl, if you haven’t already – protect BACK UP protect!

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks lovely! Black flowers on velvet sounds beautiful!
Have backed up everything since I read your post. See you Sunday xx

gio January 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Love it, the orange flowers are so pretty! I think I’ll try and make one too. :)

Hair Romance January 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Gio! It’s so easy, you should definitely make one.

Madame B Fatale April 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Looks fab! How great are glue guns, mine cost me like $5 and I have used it so many times over the years I can’t count. Not in Sydney so not sure I can help re materials but I have a fake flower shop near my house. I love going to op shops to find craft stuff and then there is always eBay. (I buy a lot of chains and spikes, and stuff like that from there actually)

Hair Romance April 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

thanks lovely! Will have to check ebay as I am going glue gun crazy lately