A twist on an old braid

This braided hairstyle is a twist on the Valentino braids seen at their S/S Paris show. Instead of the French braid, I’ve used a reverse braid, or Dutch braid.

With a French braid, hair is added over from each side as your plait the hair. It’s the reverse with this style as the hair is added underneath.

How to get the look

This style is made up of two reverse braids – one going clockwise and one going anti-clockwise. For a video of how I do this style of braid, please see Hair Romance TV episode 4 – side braided hairstyle.

The first braid starts behind your right ear and goes anti-clockwise, parallel to your hairline to your left ear. Once you reach your left ear, stop adding in hair but continue braiding and secure with a clear elastic at the end.

Start the second braid on the crown of your head, slightly to the left. You want to curve this braid clockwise around towards your right ear and then follow a line parallel to your lower hairline. Keep adding in all the remaining hair and braid until the end and secure with a clear elastic.

Braid styling tip: Stretch it out

To get your braids looking full, gently pull at the sides to loosen them. Start at the bottom of the braid, just above the elastic, and work back to the start to get a full, fat braid. Another tip is to start with large sections so you have more hair at the beginning of the braid, then take less hair in as you go to the end.

Next you want to hide the ends of the braid. Tuck the first braid under the second on the nape of your next and pin in place. If you put your bobby pin through the elastic it will help it stay in place.

Take the end of the second braid and use the to cover the part between the first and second braids. Put a bobby pin through the elastic and hide the end under the first braid.

My hair layered and past shoulder length (you can see my hair out here). You can adapt the angle and shape of these braids to suit your hair length. Even in short hair you can do the braid across the front of your hairline.

This hairstyle is easier in thick hair, but you’ll be amazed at the difference that stretching out your braids will make even in fine hair.

Have you tried stretching out your braids?

Comments

1. says

wow!! your hair is so gorgeous!! i soo want to try that style, but when i try to braid my own hair, it gets really tiring as its hard to keep holding it all in place. I might ask my hairdresser to try though as i really like the style & always find it hard to find a picture that illustrates what i have in mind. Its good to know though that this style can be achieved with layers.
    yojo recently posted..Red Bean PaoMy Profile

2. says

Waow ! Gorgeous ! I’m trying it tomorrow of I have the time. I’m note quite sure to succeed, I never managed the loosen up part with this kind of updos. My hair just fall appart any time… :(

Thanks Bella. My hair is not freshly washed and I used a smoothing serum to blowdry it the day before. If you have soft or slippery hair I recommend a texture product. Dry shampoo is good, as are styling powders or a texturising spray like evo Mr fantastic.

3. Marie says

I love this braid!!! Also, thanx for the tip on stretching the braid out to make it look thicker. I tried to find a video on this but couldn’t. Did you post a video?

4. says

I love this hairstyle and thank you so much for posting it! My only problem is (and always has been :P) figuring out how to braid the second braid (the one that goes across the forehead). I can’t tell if it’s just a normal braid that you then wrap around your forehead or if it a french that gradually goes across…
    Megan recently posted..15. SilenceMy Profile

Thanks Megan! It’s actually a Dutch braid (or inside out braid) which is a reverse of the French braid. It starts behind my right ear and braids across to my left ear and is pinned at the back. The trick is to S-T-R-E-T-C-H is out, a lot. Braid it tightly to begin with, and add in large sections at the start so the thickness is more uniform across your forehead. One it’s braided, gently pull at the sides of the braid to loosen it. This makes it look thicker and you can angle it to sit on your forehead. Hope this helps!

5. says

I love this hairstyle! I tried it today and managed after the third try. I am gonna practice this Dutch braid. It is hard to program your brain to braid hair in reverse. Thanks for sharing!

6. Holly says

I’m new to trying all different braids to keep my long, thick hair up so I have a question. Is the ‘first braid’ the one that goes across the forehead like a headband to the other ear? In the video you link of your beachy Dutch braid it goes across the back of your head to the other ear.

Hi Holly, the video is just to show the technique. This braid uses the same Dutch braid technique and you make two braids. You’re right, the first braid is like a headband from ear to ear that continues around behind your ear. The second starts at your crown and curves around in the opposite direction x

7. Melodious says

I’d love to see a video of this hairstyle, as it’s very hard for me to figure out how to start the braid in such an odd spot…behind my right ear and going up toward my forehead?!?

I’m a nurse, so I always want my hair up and out of the way of the messy things I deal with, but I get tired of wearing a pony or regular braids all the time. Thanks for your tips.

8. Angela says

Love this hair style! It’s so pretty! I would also love it if you made a video tutorial, as I’m having trouble visualizing what exactly I’m supposed to do.