Top 10 (other) uses for your hairdryer

by Hair Romance on June 14, 2012 · 24 comments

in Hair Products

Did you think a hairdryer was just for hair? It’s a multi-purpose tool I can’t live without. Here are my top 10 uses for hairdryers that have nothing to do with hair:

1. Warming your bed

Hate getting into a cold bed at night? Use your hairdryer to warm up your sheets before you hop in. You could use an electric blanket but I always worry about forgetting to turn it off and burning down the house. No such fears with a hairdryer and just as effective.

2. Ironing your clothes

Forget useless travel irons. Your multi-taking hairdryer can remove the creases from your clothes too. Lay your clothes flat on the bed and blast those wrinkles out. If your clothes are really crushed, hang them in the bathroom while your shower to get them steamy or spray a little water on to them then let your hairdryer smooth them out.

3. Warming your socks

Just like warming your bed, use your hairdryer to warm your socks in winter for toasty feet. So cozy.

4. Drying paint

First tipped off to this use by an artist friend who went through several hairdryers a year at art school, hairdryers are great for drying paint. Especially useful when decorating and painting door frames. You’ll be finished in no time and no risk of smudges or chips.

5. Drying your nails

As I rarely decorate, I adapted this use to painting my nails, which I frequently do. No more smudges or chips if you speed dry your nails with your hairdryer.

6. Drying your clothes

Forgot that you just washed your favourite top that you wanted to wear today? Grab your trusty hairdryer and you’ll have it dry and ready to wear in no time.

7. Stretching your skinny jeans

I discovered this clever use when drying my jeans. I had washed them forgetting I really wanted to wear them and found they fit perfectly. I thought I had lost weight as just washed jeans are always a snug fit, but no, it was just my hairdryer to the rescue. Gently warming your skinny jeans makes them that little bit easier to slide on.

8. Spot cleaning clothes

Drop some of your breakfast on your outfit but don’t want to change? Your hairdryer makes spot cleaning a breeze. Turn to google to find out how to remove the stain, then dry it with your hairdryer and you’ll still be out the door on time, with no need to think of something else to wear.

9. Removing sticky labels

Why can’t all labels be those easy to remove glues that peel off in one go? If you find a label that’s stuck solid, warm it up with your hairdryer and it’s so much easier to remove. Heating the glue makes it more malleable so it peels off easily.

10. De-misting your bathroom mirror

I love a hot shower and so I steam up the entire bathroom. No exhaust fan is quick enough to clear the fog but my hairdryer blasts through and cleans the mirror in seconds. Plus it saves you cleaning the hand marks off the mirror every day from wiping away the steam.

11. Cooling down

I had to add in an extra reason! I love my hairdryer for the cool shot button. I’m always hot after drying my hair and perspiration can ruin your hair and makeup before you’ve even left the house. Give your face and neck a blast with the cool shot button and you’ll feel fresh and ready to go in seconds.

What’s your favourite other use for your hairdryer that’s not drying your hair? Any other great uses I don’t know about?

Update: This list has been extended based on your suggestions! Here’s even more uses for your hairdryer (that aren’t styling your hair).

Elli June 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

I always de-mist the mirror in the bathroom with a haidryer. When one of my friends saw it she was sooo excited because she used to wait for it to go away… :D

Amanda June 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I’ve tried using mine to defog the mirror and it doesn’t work. I wonder why? It seems to work for everybody else.

gio June 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I use it to dry my nails and clothes too sometimes, but I never thought it could be used for so many other things! Thanks for sharing! :)
gio recently posted..Product Review: Essence Rebels Lip & Cheek Pot in Peach PunkMy Profile

Raech June 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I use my hairdryer to warm the eyeleash curler. Gives your lashes a great curl!

Hair Romance June 14, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Great idea Raech! I have tried this and it totally works

Dana June 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Great tips! Thank you! :)
Dana recently posted..Wicked Wednesday: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser Demo & TechniqueMy Profile

Gill June 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I use mine to dry myself after using a self tanner! Hate waiting on it too dry

Regina June 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I remember when I dried my paint because the next day I had to submit it to my teacher, and it was so fun! Hahaha
Regina recently posted..Farewell Party Shots {Eps. 3: stuffs}My Profile

Jenny smith June 17, 2012 at 12:23 am

I used to use mine to defrost the freezer

Nicole June 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

I second:
a) heating up an eyelash curler (results are amazing)
b) defrosting the freezer (my Mum almost had a heart attack when I told her)

Nicole June 20, 2012 at 3:18 am

I have used my hair dryer to blow up an air mattress that didn’t have a pump.

Linda June 24, 2012 at 3:46 am

I use mine to do light dusting when I don’t want to move everything. Gets rid of some of it. In the salon it works great a getting the hair out of those tight corners

Daphne June 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

I use my hairdryer to warm up Nair waxing strips before pulling them apart and applying them. They come apart more easily and seem to do a better job when they are ‘pre-softened’.

joanne September 5, 2012 at 9:26 am

i use mine to unfreeze water pipes coming out of the ground.

Hair Romance September 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wow, great idea! Must get pretty cold where you are Joanne

Sami October 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

another hint with the frosty mirrors after a shower take a bit of hand soup and spread it allllll over your mirror. Wherever there is soup there is no frost.

Hair Romance October 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Sami, great tip, but does it make the mirror streaky?

Marisa Anderson February 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Wow! So many great ideas for how to use a hair dryer! I never really thought of using a hair dryer to speed up the nail drying process. That is a great idea. Can’t wait to give it a try.
Marisa Anderson recently posted..Garnier BB CreamMy Profile

LAURA FROM TEXAS March 16, 2013 at 9:15 am

When I visit my son’s family, I give his little ones their bath right before bedtime. They are always cold when they get out of the tub and refuse to get dressed. To speed things up and make them happy, I blow dry their bodies. I make sure the blow dryer is on LOW & WARM, of course. Once they’ve warmed up (and are happy), we blow dry their hair, apply body lotion, put PJs on, brush teeth, etc., with no problem. This makes the process much easier and my grand sons really get a kick out of this. They dance around while I am drying them off. I enjoy doing it all for them. I love being a grandma! Thanks everybody for their curly hair and blow dryer tips.

Hair Romance March 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

That is such a sweet idea Laura! Sounds like fun, and would be good for me in winter too! X

ryan ellis April 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

i use my blowdryer alot if iam cold ill blow it up my shirt :P

Hair Romance April 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm