Blonde hair icon, Blake Lively, trusts her locks to Goldwell Celebrity Colourist Rona O’Connor. In an interview with Hair Romance, Rona shares some tips, tricks and secrets about going – and staying – blonde.
Although she believes anyone can be blonde, O’Connor has four golden rules brunettes seeking blonde perfection need to obey:
- Know your budget
- Know it may not be possible to get the best results from a box.
- Know your skin tone; a professional can help determine this best.
- Know to look for a blonde expert if you are a medium to dark brunette.
And those last two points are crucial. Knowing your hair shade and skin type can make all the difference. O’Connor adds these three vital points to going from brunette to blonde:
There are three easy options for a dark to medium brunette, wanting blonde:
- Highlighting with three shades, all lighter by one to two shades to break up a dark to medium brunette, and sun flicking the ends heavily.
- Lightening the overall brunette base two shades lighter, heavily highlighting and toning to complete the perfect shade.
- Bleach blonde and toned: Your first time, plan on the day to get it right if you are a dark to medium brunette.
Rona’s final word of wisdom is on your shade of brunette and how to match it to the right blonde colour for you:
- For a light brunette: brunettes with brown eyes, and warm skin with yellow undertones look best with golden blonde tones.
- Brunettes with blue eyes and cool skin with pink undertones look best with cool blonde tones.
- One important rule to remember is, keep the cool or warm hue dominant next to the skin tone.
- Another rule that I go by with warm skin, is to keep the blonde base color one to two shades deeper than the skin tone. With cool pale skin going super light, keep it bright!
Next week I’ll reveal part two of the Rona O’Connor interview looking at home box colouring and what a salon can and can’t do to fulfill your blonde desires.
Have you ever tried going blonde? What would your advice be to someone going from brunette to blonde?