Edit: The response to this post has been amazing! I’ve just created a new video tutorial of how to style curly hair for frizz free curls. You can also check out all my other curly hair posts here.
I love wearing my hair curly, but it took a long time to say that. My hair was a mix of frizz, waves, ringlets and crazy hair until I worked out an easy routine to style my curly hair that made the most of my curls.
You might think I always straighten my hair after my 30 Braids in 30 Days hairstyles, but it’s not the case. I straighten my hair for tutorials as it is easier to photograph and restyle for the step-by-step photos.
Plus the more you touch curly hair, the frizzier it becomes. My first styling tip is stop touching your hair. The oil and dirt from your hands creates frizz and will mess up your curls.
How to style curly hair
This is my quick way to style curly hair when I want to wear it out.
- Wash your hair. Here are my top 10 tips for how to wash your hair.
- Use a conditioning treatment, or leave your conditioner on for 3-5 minutes. Use a wide tooth comb or tangle teezer to get rid of any knots. This is the last time you will comb your hair. Comb gently, as wet hair is more prone to breakages.
- Rinse your shampoo and conditioner thoroughly.
- Turn your head upside-down, and gently shake your hair to let the curls form their natural shape. I use my fingertips on my scalp to lift my hair and let the curls take shape.
- Don’t rub your hair with a towel. I squeeze the water out instead of rubbing my hair and breaking up the curls. A microfiber towel, or t-shirt is even better as they are smoother on your hair.
- Apply a curl cream or mousse. I used Aveda Be Curly Style Prep and Curl Enhancer. Apply the Style Prep first, then the curl Enhancer which has a creamy texture.
- Use a diffuser to dry your hair to about 80% dry. You can let your hair dry naturally, but a diffuser is quicker and gives more volume. I used the Anthony Nader WAHL dryer to dry my hair with my head upside down. Then I flip my hair back, and check how it’s sitting. I usually restyle the front and partline, then let it be.
- As a final touch you can use a serum or wax to add more definition to your curls. I used O&M Frizzy Logic in the ends of my curls. I also love Aveda Pure Abundance Styling Potion sprinkled on my roots to add volume.
This looks like a lot of steps, but I’ve just broken it down in detail. It takes me less than 10 minutes to blowdry and style my curly hair.
Remember to check out my new video tutorial of how to style curly hair for frizz free curls. Find more curly hair posts here and hairstyle tutorials here.
How do you style your curls?