Easy braided ponytail hairstyle how-to

A braid adds a pretty twist to this easy ponytail hairstyle.

Easy braided ponytail hairstyle tutorial

Step-by-step

1. Make a side part, then take a section of hair from the front left side of your part to your left temple.
  2. Split this into three and weave together to make a braid. Braid the right over the centre, then the left over the right and continue to braid that section.
  3. Stretch out the braid to make it look thicker. Secure the end with a pin or small elastic.
  4. Gather all your hair into a ponytail and secure with an elastic. Take the pin or elastic off the first braid, now it is tied in with the ponytail.
  5. Take a small piece of hair and wrap it around your hair elastic to cover it.

This is an easy way to dress up your ponytail that is quick enough to do every day, but pretty enough for an event.

How do you like to dress up your ponytail?

Comments

1. says

Cute! I do that style, too. Normally when I do it, I put all my growing out fringe in it and do a bit more french braiding. I only put hair in from the bottom, though. Then I pull out hair in front to puff it out a bit and pull everything back. I used the braid to wrap it around the band.
    Stacy recently posted..The long wait…My Profile

2. Brooke says

Simple and Beautiful! Could you explain in more detail on how to do the hair cover the elastic thing. I have always struggle on how to do that/pin it just right. Maybe it has to do with my layers and length.

3. Shayna says

I love this! It’s super cute! :-)

There’s a couple thing’s I’m wondering though.

I have hair that is super curly and volume filled plus it’s super long! I can almost sit on it! I love doing things with my hair like pretty braids and buns and such but I find that a lot of hair-dos aren’t made for people with really long curly and full hair. I really want to do cool things with my hair but a lot of the time I get stuck with the basic ponytail because I don’t know what else to do. I don’t want to cut my hair because it’s gorgeous, but I want to be able to do things with it. I know your a hair expert, so, would you happen to have any good websites or links or hair tips for me??

Shayna<3

Hi Shayna, I wish I had that much hair to play with! I think you can do some easy braids like a side braid or the triple braid.These lower styles are easier for ling hair because they aren’t as heavy and won’t pull at your hair. I will try and work out some more styles for you x

4. kevin says

As a man with long hair I usually resort to the boring old ponytail or maybe some willie nelson braids but I have been looking for a slightly more stylish look to wear to my friend’s wedding. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Ashley, my hair is quite thick, but stretching out your braid makes such a difference to the finished style. You can really stretch out even the thinnest braid to look about 10 times thicker :)

5. cyrinda says

I love your styles but my hair is very thin so I can only do the basics do you have any tips for hair styles with thin hair?

6. Angela says

I came across this tutorial in a list of dressed up ponytails and immediately knew this was the one I wanted to do for a wedding I attended today. I modified it a bit, adding curls to the bottom of the ponytail and using the braided strand to wrap around the hair tie. Here’s a pic: http://instagram.com/p/kN7NUDCEwR/ Thanks so much for sharing this!