Pretty Ponytail Hairstyle Tutorial

by Hair Romance on January 16, 2013 · 15 comments

in Tutorials

Pretty Ponytail Tutorial by Hair Romance

In a hurry but need a quick, pretty hairstyle? Try this one minute tutorial for a pretty ponytail.

This simple ponytail just needs your favourite accessory and you’ll be out the door on time with fun and easy hairstyle. I was playing around with some simple party hairstyles and love the 1960s feel of this high ponytail. Adding in a pretty headband keeps my hair off my face and I had to add my favorite vintage velvet bow tie to top off the ponytail.

Pretty Ponytail Hairstyle Tutorial

Pretty Ponytail Tutorial by Hair Romance

Step-by-Step

1. Add some height. Backcomb the hair on the top of your head and your crown to add volume.

2. Position your ponytail. Gather your hair back into a high ponytail. Comb at the side to keep them tight but leave it looser on top so you keep the volume in your hair.

3. Accessorize! Tidy any bumps by gently smoothing back with a comb, and add your favorite accessories to pretty up your ponytail.

Pretty Ponytail Tutorial by Hair Romance2

Pretty Ponytail Tutorial by Hair Romance3

Ponytails may not need a tutorial but I think we forget how pretty they can be with just a few accessories. Try a sparkly headband or a bow and see how it changes your hairstyle today.

What’s your trick to pretty up a ponytail?

Nikki @ Styling You January 16, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m in love with this – perfect for heading out on a hot summer’s night!
Nikki @ Styling You recently posted..Unlock your style in 14 days: Don’t wait for that next 5kgMy Profile

Hair Romance January 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Thanks Nikki! Great for when you’re growing out a fringe too… x

abeachcottage January 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Oh I so need a ponytail tute!! Thanks never thought of a hairband
abeachcottage recently posted..Guide to ManlyMy Profile

Hair Romance January 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Sarah! There’s something about a sparkly headband that makes people think you went to a lot of effort but you actually got ready in 5 seconds x

gio January 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I love this, so pretty!
gio recently posted..Can You Apply Sunscreen On A Baby?My Profile

Hair Romance January 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thank you Gio! Xx

Marisa Anderson January 17, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Love the 1960′s inspired ponytails. The black bow with the sparkly headband was a gorgeous combination!
Marisa Anderson recently posted..Bare Escentuals: Mineral VeilMy Profile

Hair Romance January 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Marisa x

Rachel January 17, 2013 at 4:18 pm

The headband is a lovely sparkly touch and looks gorgeous with the velvet bow!
A hint for anyone who, like me, has issues with backcombing/teasing: Batiste has a dry shampoo called XXL Volume that’s kind of a combination between dry shampoo and texturising powder. It’s buildable and works really well for getting some sturdy volume that actually does look like thicker hair, instead of just a fluffed up section.
Rachel recently posted..DIY Pineapple Face Mask/ScrubMy Profile

Hair Romance January 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thanks Rachel and GREAT tip! Yes dry shampoo is a great way to add volume without weighing hair down x

Melissa Mitchell January 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I haven’t mastered the back combing yet. I feel like rather than give me cute volume (for a pony) which you have (and I adore), it just looks like I’ve not brushed it in a month.

WHERE did you get that headband? It is utterly perfect. I’ve been searching the internet for something like it, and nothing is quite right.
Melissa Mitchell recently posted..The Dandelion ListMy Profile

Cate February 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

I LOVE this sight! Thanks to you, I have the prettiest hair in my class!

Hair Romance February 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thanks so much for trying the styles Cate!

Catherine February 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I love you and your hair! It is the bomb! Could you put some tutorials for easy before school updos? casual but still nice so i can look good for my crush? ;)

Hair Romance February 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thanks so much Catherine! That’s a great idea for a tutorial series. Some ideas are a loose side braid, or fishtail braid. Then you can twist these up into loose buns for a full updo.