Does your hair interfere with your exercise routine?

Does your hair interfere with your exercise routine

Have you ever skipped an exercise session because your hair looked good that day and you didn’t want to mess it up?

Go on, admit it. You’ve missed a session at the gym because you were having a good hair day. I admit I’ve done it. Or I’ve chosen to do a low impact session so I don’t sweat too much and wreck my hair.

Seems I’m not alone as a recent Wake Forest University survey reported that 40% of women “admitted to avoiding exercise because they didn’t want to ruin their hair-dos.” Most of the women surveyed only did half the recommended amount of weekly exercise, and a quarter didn’t exercise at all.

Does your hair interfere with your exercise routine? What’s your favorite hairstyle for when you exercise?

Comments

1. Eve Maria says

This is definitely an issue for me! I don’t skate as much now, but when I was a figure skater I had really long hair and it was impossible to tie back so it didn’t get in the way when jumping/spinning.

2. Maggie says

I exercise hard M-F before work and unfortunately I sweat quite a lot! I accept that I have to wash my hair daily if I want to work out (but I try to keep styling very gentle and simple to make up for it – just air dry wavy and pin up most days). I do find that I can’t be bothered with lunchtime group fitness classes because it is too much trouble to get sweaty and deal with it mid-day. I pull my hair up into a pony with a metal-free elastic and I use an elastic headband to keep the frizz around my face under control. Nothing worse than hair tickling your face when you’re trying to focus!

3. Elizabeth says

I’m fortunate in that I take a shower every night and rinse my hair in water in between wash days, so I’m able to get the sweat out to some extent no matter what. Usually I’ll keep my hair in a high pony tail and clip it down with hair claws in a messy bun. It keeps if off my neck which drives me up the wall.

4. Sarah P says

I absolutely do this! I only wash my hair every 3 days or so, so if I just washed a blow dried it, I definitely don’t want to waste it! Hah! I have very long hair though, and it’s constantly coming loose when I work out. I usually just pin back my bangs and throw it up in a ponytail.

5. says

Oh god, I definitely do this – I’f I’ve straightened my hair, I avoid sweating at any cost – I’ve missed trains on account of my hair!

If I’m wearing it curly, it’s less of an issue, I just make sure I have serum and dry shampoo with me, and that generally solves any exercise related hair issues.
    Sara-May recently posted..MAC Lady Danger – Review, Photos, SwatchesMy Profile

6. Kimberley says

I could give 1000 reasons not to exercise but my hair is not usually one of them with the exception of rain.. I won’t go out in the rain. Unless I’m at the end of a hairwash cycle which is anywhere between 7 -12 days.

7. curlywurly says

Oh gosh! I do this too. Having to wash my hair more often due to exercise is one of my biggest gripes with going to the gym.I love clean hair feeling, but I hate the whole routine of washing my hair – it takes forever to dry. Thankfully some one invented dry shampoo, so I can stretch my washes even if i work out and sweat a little bit too much.

8. Kaitlin says

I love this blog, and your photos are amazing! I have only recently started to follow this, so if I ask anything you’ve already covered I’m sorry :) My hair is dark brown with some reddish hues, and thick and curly. It can be frizzy, but isn’t hard to style. I’d like to dye it lighter but I’m terrified of damaging my locks. Your hair color is beautiful but I’m worried that if I were to get it done too light it would ruin my hair… am I being paranoid?

Thanks so much Kaitlin! No you’re not being paranoid, coloring your hair does damage it. I do conditioning treatments once or twice a week and I can’t grow it that long as it becomes too damaged at the ends. But in sayng that, I love being blonde so I’m going to keep doing it! You have to be aware that it’s a lot more time and effort on your hair x

9. Avalon says

Exercising means I’m getting ready for a super sweaty head! I hate it! I only shampoo my hair once a week since my hair is curly but when I work out I’m always paranoid that conditioner and a rinse aren’t getting rid of the sweat. I also have to wear a headband to hold back the fly-aways and bangs which leaves a big indent in my hair. I find it’s helpful, if I don’t wet my hair after a workout, to spray a mixture of 50% water 50% leave-in conditioner into my hair. This brings the curl back, reduces frizz, and magically removes that indent left by the headband! Somehow it also gives a beach-waves effect. Not too bad!

10. says

I have only just started exercising this year (about a month ago). I have also just started this year to care about hair and make up. Great timing. And yes. I have missed work outs because of awesome hair days. :)

But usually I do it at 6am. Then shower and get myself awesome curls afterwards. It seems to work out most of the time. Straight pony tail for me. Really high and off my face.
    Melissa Mitchell recently posted..CloudsMy Profile