New Video Tutorial: Tucked French Braid Updo in Curly Hair

by Hair Romance on October 31, 2013 · 7 comments

in Beach Hair,Curly Hair,Hair Romance TV,Tutorials

Hair Romance - Tucked French Braid tutorial video

Here’s the next instalment of my curly hairstyle video tutorial series from Hayman Island!

Now we had the first video showing you how to restyle your curly hair on the second day, then a 1 minute braided bun and a 2 minute braided crown and here’s my tucked French braid that can be done in under 3 minutes!

Before and After

Hair Romance - Tucked French Braid hairstyle tutorial - before and after

This is a fantastic style for hiding away your messy curls. It works just as well in straight hair as in curly hair and keeps your hair up and off your neck. It’s perfect for summer days or also in winter when your curls can get knotty as they get tangled with your jacket and scarf.

Tucked French Braid Updo in Curly Hair Video Tutorial

You’ll need a small clear hair elastic and a couple of bobby pins to do this hairstyle.

Click here to watch the tutorial on YouTube

Step-by-step

• Pin back your fringe / bangs with a bobby pin. I like to leave a little height on top for this style
  • Combine the section you’ve just pinned back with a little more hair and split into 3 equal pieces
  • Cross the left piece over the middle, then the right over the left as you would form a regular braid
  • Then add in hair from the left and combine it with the braid
  • Repeat on the right side to form a French braid
  • Continue braiding down the back of your head. I added in large sections as it’s hard to do small, neat sections in curly hair
  • Secure the end of your braid with a small clear hair elastic
  • Stretch your braid to even it out
  • Roll the end of your braid under and pin in place with a bobby pin. That’s it!

Hair Romance - Tucked French Braid hairstyle

Hair Romance - Tucked French Braid hairstyle how to

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. I’m still learning about making videos so please let me know any feedback so I can improve.

I’d love to see if you try this style in your hair so tag your photos #hairromance

Abby November 6, 2013 at 1:45 am

What a genius hairstyle! It’s such a nice trick for keeping hair off of your face and yet stylish enough to be sported on any season, as you had pointed out. Love how the difference between the before & after hairstyles were quite noticeable, too.

Hanah February 13, 2014 at 11:40 am

I love this hairstyle and saw some girls at my school recently wearing their hair like this! I am really good at doing a french braid but my hair is so thick and long that I feel like pinning it under with bobby pins won’t hold. Do you have any suggestions as to what might make it more secure? Thank you!

Hair Romance February 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Hi Hanah, if you hair is really thick try the spin pins which hold really well. Or if using normal bobby pins, try and hook them through your hair elastic for extra hold.

Hanah February 14, 2014 at 3:26 am

Ok I’ll try that, thank you!

Erin May 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I want to do this hairstyle SO BAD but my hair just won’t cooperate. My hair is slightly curlier than yours and about two inches longer and when I try to braid it myself i just find my hair getting into a tangled mess as I am unable to pull my curls apart as I go.

Any suggestions for someone w curly hair who is new to French (or Dutch) braiding?

Thanks!

Hair Romance May 14, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Hi Erin, I know what you mean. My curls often get tangled and it’s really hard to keep the braid in place while you untangle the next section of hair to add in. I find a light spray of leave in conditioner before I start can help. I also try to work with larger sections so that I don’t have to break up too many curls, Even if you only add in 4 or 5 sections you can still do this braid. You can even separate your hair into sections ready for the braid before you begin. Hope this helps x

Erin May 18, 2014 at 10:09 am

thanks for the reply! I will try the tricks you mentioned and hopefully ill get the hang of it.

Keep up the great work with the blog. I love the posts!

Erin