Here is your Ultimate Holiday Hair Guide to keep your hair looking its best, and giving you hairstyle ideas for every lunch, dinner and holiday get-together.
From picnics to parties, here’s everything you need to have a good hair day.
Caring for your hair
Good hair days start with looking after your hair. Are you using the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair type?
- Here’s a guide to washing your hair and 10 tips for great hair.
- If you have curly hair, you’ll want to check out how to style curly hair.
- Curly girls will also want to make sure you’re getting a great curly haircut.
Need to find a good hairdresser? Here are my tips for finding your perfect hairdresser.
Love your salon but want to try a different stylist? Here are some tips for how to switch stylists in the same salon.
Had a salon disaster? Don’t worry, it’s only hair and you can recover. Here’s how to overcome a bad salon experience.
Want to get your hair done before a big event? Here’s a guide to how to style your hair with a blowdry (blowout)
How to style your hair
Most of us will need to blowdry or heat style our hair for a party look.
We covered curly hair above, and if you have what I like to call “wash and wear” hair, you can move straight on to the hairstyle ideas below.
Please remember to use a heat protectant on your hair and here are some tutorials that can help get that perfect finish when wearing your hair down.
- 3 tips for a better blowdry (blowout)
- How to straighten curly hair
- How to create vintage waves in straight hair
- How to create soft waves in straight hair
Casual Hairstyle Ideas
Not all parties are formal so here are some quick and easy hairstyle ideas for more casual get-togethers.
- Fake a braid with this easy topsy tail side ponytail tutorial
- Add some detail to your ponytail with this easy braided ponytail tutorial
- Make your own headband with this braided headband hairstyle tutorial
- Pigtails can work on adults with this clever version that doesn’t have a visible part
Looking for more hairstyle inspiration? My 30 Days of Twist & Pin hairstyle ebook has you covered for a month of styles and more!
Party Hairstyle Ideas
You need staying power for the holiday party season and these pretty hairstyle tutorials will keep you looking good all night long.
- I took inspiration from celeb hair to create this curved lace braid hairstyle tutorial
- Tidy away your fringe / bangs with this side-swept Dutch braided headband
- Wear your hair out with this pretty half crown braid tutorial
- No French braiding skills required to do this easy braided updo
- For a side style with impact, try this Dutch side braid
Have fun with your hair this holiday season! Here are some cool hairstyles for you to try for your next event.
You’ll find so many party hairstyle ideas in my 30 Braids in 30 Days ebook! Learn how to braid your own hair with this simple step-by-step guide.
Formal hairstyle ideas
Do you have a more traditional Christmas? These classic and elegant updos are the perfect hairstyles for more formal events.
- A classic ponytail is always in style. Try this retro-inpired 1960s ponytail tutorial
- This low updo looks complicated but it really easy! It’s my double braided updo and it’s perfect for medium to long hair
- Fake a bob for a chic holiday look! Try this sleek faux bob tutorial or go all out with this big faux bob tutorial
- My hair colour is crazy, but this simple style is and effortless - the curved braided bun
You can learn a twist on this easy classic hairstyle with my 30 Buns in 30 Days ebook where you’ll learn over 30 different styles that are perfect for any occasion.
Curly Hair Tutorials
Embrace your curls these holidays! If you have naturally curly hair you’ll love this. I filmed a 5-part video tutorial series just for curly hair.
- How to re-style curly hair on the second day
- Curly hair tutorial - 1 minute braided bun
- Curly hair tutorial - 2 minute half crown braid
- Curly hair tutorial – Tucked French braid updo
- Curly hair tutorial – Dutch braid bun updo
Have fun with your hair!
For New Year’s parties you might want to have a bit more fun with your hair so why not try some of these colourful ideas!
- Want to try pink hair without any consequences? These DIY pink hair extensions are super easy
- Radiant Orchid is the Pantone colour of the year and this is how you can get on-trend purple ombre hair
- For the ultimate one night only hair colour, try hair chalk. Here’s my guide on how to use hair chalk
I hope you have a safe and happy holiday season with your nearest and dearest!
I’m going to take some time off from regular blogging and will be back in the New Year with lots of fresh hairstyle ideas.
Actually, I’m really bad at taking time off so I’m forcing myself to take a break so I can work on a book project I’ve wanted to do for a very long time. I think you’ll love it and I’ll let you know more in the New Year but I can tell you it’s going to launch on Valentine’s Day 2014.
I want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who visits Hair Romance and lets me keep doing what I love. Thank you to everyone who tries my hairstyles and I adore seeing your photos of my hairstyles! Thank you to everyone who leaves comments, and everyone who creates the fabulous community on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
As I said I can’t switch off, so you’ll still find me around on Instagram and Facebook. I’m also blogging with my husband over at Mr & Mrs Romance.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday and I’ll see you in the New Year!