Curly hairstyle tutorial – the Twist-Tuck Bun

by Hair Romance on March 13, 2014 · 22 comments

in Curly Hair,Tutorials

Hair Romance - curly hair tutorial - the twist-tuck bun

Today’s tutorial is for the curly girls. You can still try this style in straight hair, but the texture of curly hair really works for this low bun.

I’m calling it the Twist-Tuck Bun hairstyle, because that’s how you do it! First a twist over ponytail, then tuck it under for the bun.

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle - the twist-tuck bun

This bun hairstyle is perfect for second day curly hair, or on windy days when you want to put your hair up.

To do this style, you’ll need a hair bungee and some bobby pins. Hair bungees are straight elastics with hooks at each end. I used them in my curly ponytail tutorial and they make it so much easier to put back long or curly hair. You don’t have to drag your hair through an elastic and there are no tangles when removing them.

If you don’t have a hair bungee, you can just use a regular hair elastic or hair tie.

Curly hairstyle tutorial – the Twist-Tuck Bun

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle tutorial - the twist-tuck bun

Step-by-Step

1. Separate a section on each side of your head. These
  2. Gather the rest of your hair into a low ponytail. Secure with a hair bungee or hair elastic.
  3. Twist the left side section back over your ponytail. Pin in place with bobby pins.
  4. Repeat, twisting the right side section back over your ponytail. Pin in place with bobby pins.
  5. Pin the side twists in place. If necessary, you can pin the side twists to keep them in place.
  6. Tuck and roll your ponytail under into a bun. Create a loop with your fingers and pin the bun in place underneath.
  7. Pin any loose pieces of hair into the bun. You don’t need to be too precise. You can use a little pommade to define the curls around your face or hairspray to secure the style.

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle - twist-tuck bun

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle tutorial - twist-tuck bun

Styling tips

This style works so well in curly hair because your hair has so much texture. Don’t worry about making it look too perfect. Embrace the flyaways as they cover up a multitude of sins in a messy updo.

• Remember not to pull your pontytail too tight so that the style is a little softer around your face.
  • If you don’t have a fringe or bangs, you can do a side or centre part for this look.

Let me know if you try this style!

What’s your favourite updo for curly hair?

Smaggle March 13, 2014 at 12:35 pm

You’re making me wish that I didn’t cut my hair! x

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Nooooo! I love your new haircut x

Erin March 13, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Beautiful as usual! Looks easy enough to do while out and about to. As long as you have the bungee and pins floating around the bottom of your purse that is.

XOXO,
Erin
thevaughnlife.us

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Erin! There’s always a few pins floating around in my purse, but never in the bathroom when I actually need one ;)

Phyrra March 13, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Super gorgeous!

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Thank you lovely! xx

tzena nicole March 13, 2014 at 8:11 pm

love it!. btw, i wear my hair in micro braids, and still use ALL your style suggestions. love your books and this site. thanks!

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thank you so much! xx

KLP @ SavingOurStrands March 14, 2014 at 12:42 am

I love everything about this!

KLP | SavingOurStrands

Hair Romance March 16, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Thanks KLP! xx

Kathleen Primm March 14, 2014 at 1:52 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Will try it out soon.

Kathleen

Hair Romance March 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Kathleen xx

andy March 14, 2014 at 3:17 am

love it, very pretty!

Hair Romance March 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Andy xx

Ivanna March 17, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I really liked this tutorial and my first attempt at this bun worked well on day-3 curly hair. My problem was with my bobby pins. By the time I got to work, my bobby pins were literally sliding out of my hair. My hair is thick and I wouldn’t call it slippery by any means. I’ve had this problem before while trying do something with my messy hair so I’m wondering if I’m using the wrong kind of pins… Or maybe I just don’t actually know how to correctly use a bobby pin? Sounds dumb, but my mom never taught me much regarding hair styling do I wouldn’t put it past me. Any advice?

Hair Romance March 18, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Hi Ivanna, there are definitely tricks when using bobby pins. One that should help is not to open up the pin. Bobby pins can only hold a small amount of hair and if you open them they can’t close. The pins will then force themselves out of your hair. I also use really strong pins that I buy from a beauty supply sotre (like Hair Health & Beauty or Sally Beauty). Professional pins are much stronger and will last longer. Hope this helps xx

Jemille Williams March 19, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Thank you for this. I’m going to try it. Atlanta has hot and humid weather on the way.

Hair Romance March 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Thanks Jemille! I live in upstyles when it’s humid. It’s the only way x

Emily June 9, 2014 at 12:59 am

Love this style but question… I have long curly hair and I wash it almost every day. I haven’t been able to master going 2-3 days without washing. I use a leave in conditoner and moose on it and if seems to be a little frizzy and greasy the next day. What dry shampoo or product could I try to avoid washing?? I have friends who have curly hair and their second day curls are always gorgeous and I want that!

Hair Romance June 9, 2014 at 9:20 am

Hi Emily, try not to use too much product on the roots of your hair, concentrate the leave in conditioner on the ends. I use a range of different dry shampoo brands but I like klorane and batiste as easy everyday dry shampoos. Spray it lightly on your roots, leave it for a minute then work it in gently with your fingertips. Don’t spray too much and your fingertips can work in any product that hasn’t been absorbed. You won’t have any white marks. Give this a try and see how you go. Good luck!

Jennifer June 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Hi!

Where do they sell bungees?

I love your tutorials!!

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Hi Jennifer, I got mine from evo in the Mr Fantastic pack – http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/evo/evo-mister-fantastic-tool-for-creation-blonde.html or you can find them here – http://www.hairbungee.com/buy-hair-bungee-store.