The last Game of Thrones hairstyle tutorial for this week is the ultimate Khaleesi braid. Daenarys Targaryen is a kick-ass character and every episode she wears incredible braids.
Even when she’s almost lost and wandering endlessly in the desert, she still makes me want her messy hair. She wears several variations of these Dutch braids and lace braids in her hair throughout the series.
Now before you say that you can’t get your hair to look like hers – don’t worry. Remember it’s a wig that takes hours to style each day. No-one has time for that.
I’ve created a braid inspired by Khaleesi that you can do in your own hair. Or invite a friend over to give you a hand This hairstyle is best suited to long hair, but you can adapt this braid easily for shorter styles. The top braids on their own work well in shoulder length hair.
Game of Thrones Hairstyles – Khaleesi braids hairstyle tutorial
You’ll need 4-5 clear hair elastics and a few bobby pins to do this hairstyle.
- Take a small section of hair on the left hand side that will be the start of your Dutch lace braid. A Dutch braid is the reverse of a French braid and you’ll only be adding in hair from the right side of the braid from the top of your head. This leaves more hair below for the second braid.
- Split the section into three and cross the right piece under the middle, then the left under the right. Add some hair from the tops of your head to the next section as you bring it under the middle.
- Continue until your reach the crown of your head. Then stop adding in hair and continue to braid your hair in a regular braid. Secure the end with a small clear hair elastic.
- Repeat steps 1-3 on the right side to make a matching Dutch lace braid on the other side.
- On the left side, take a 1 inch section and split it into three. You’re going to form a Dutch braid as above and add in hair from both sides.
- Continue this braid almost to the nape of your neck then stop adding in hair and finish in a regular braid. Secure the end of your braid with a small clear hair elastic.
- Repeat on the right side, creating a Dutch braid to match the left side. Leave a small section of hair out at the nape of your neck to wrap around your braids later.
- Twist the top two braids together to form one section. Secure them together with a small clear hair elastic.
- Combine all the braids together into a regular 3 strand braid. Leave that nape section of hair loose for the next step. Once you’ve braided all the braids together, secure them with a small clear hair elastic.
- Take the section of hair at your nape and wrap it around your braids. Pin the ends underneath to hold it in place.
- Cover your hair elastic. Take a small piece of hair from below the band and wrap it around to cover it. Use a bobby pin to pin it in place underneath.
Game of Thrones Styling tips
- A Dutch braid is the same as a French braid but in the reverse. It’s sometimes called an inside-out braid or reverse braid.
- A lace braid is the same as a French braid but instead of adding in hair from both sides, you only add in hair on the one side.
To learn how to braid your own hair and lots more braid hairstyle inspiration, get a copy of my ebook 30 Braids in 30 Days.
For more Game of Thrones Hairstyle inspiration, see the other tutorials in this series:
Game of Thrones Hairstyles – Sansa Stark braid tutorial
Game of Thrones Hairstyles – Daenarys Targaryen hair tutorial
Game of Thrones Hairstyles – Cersei Lannister braid tutorial
Game of Thrones Hairstyles – Margaery Tyrell twist tutorial
Who do you think has the best hair on Game of Thrones? Which tutorial is your favourite?