3 mistakes you’re making with dry shampoo

by Hair Romance on June 9, 2014 · 51 comments

in Hair Products,Hair Style Advice

Hair Romance - 3 mistakes you're making with dry shampoo
I can’t live without dry shampoo.

If you can’t live without it, I think you’re doing it wrong.

Dry shampoo is the reason I can go for days without washing my hair. It means I can get my updos to stay in clean hair and I can create texture in my hair. It’s one of my favourite styling products.

I often think the name “dry shampoo” is what puts people off. Stop thinking of it as “shampoo”. Dry shampoo is a styling product. It has the effect of absorbing some excess sebum on the scalp, but really it’s a texturising product.

Dry shampoo is never going to give you that clean feeling back. But the fresh scent and extra volume boost it does give you means you don’t need to wash your hair today. That makes me happy.

So if you’re not loving dry shampoo, you could be making one of the following mistakes.

3 mistakes you’re making with dry shampoo

1. Spraying it too close to your hair. Hold the can at arms length and lightly spray your hair. The label says minimum 20cm, but even further back is good. You want a light, even spray on your hair. Holding the can too close will leave you with white spots in your hair.
  2. Using too much product. Just as spraying it too close to your head is bad, so is using too much product. Leaving white lines in your hair is not the idea. You want a light, even spray. You really shouldn’t see any bright white marks (depending on the brand). If your hair is really oily, wait and do another application after the first has absorbed. The great thing with dry shampoo is you can layer it, without fear of overdoing it.
  3. Not waiting a minute before brushing. After applying dry shampoo, you really need to let it work its magic. Leave it for a minute to absorb. Any powder marks should disappear in this time. Then lightly brush your hair to distribute any excess product and your hair will look so much fresher.

Curly hair tip: Don’t brush out your dry shampoo! We all know brushes and curls can create frizz. Instead, use your fingertips to massage in any excess product and distribute it through your hair.

Do you love dry shampoo? What’s your favourite brand? Are you guilty of making any of these mistakes when using dry shampoo?

Noelene June 9, 2014 at 10:54 am

I like Batiste with a hint of brown and thanks I make all of these mistakes with my curlyhair

Hair Romance June 9, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I’ve just got some Batiste with red for my new hair. Hope these tips help for next time you use it x

Emma June 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I have quite sensitive skin & when I use Batiste, I would get a small rash/breakout so I swapped to Klorane & haven’t had the same issue.
I read somewhere that it’s also better to use it the night before, not the day …. Haven’t done this though. Thoughts?

Hair Romance June 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I haven’t heard that before Emma but it could work. I sleep with my hair clipped up so would restyle it in the morning anyway. Let me know how it goes if you try it

Kristen June 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I love spraying my hair the night before! It has helped hold it up even through a run in the morning. And most of it absorbs in the night.

Kristen June 13, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I also broke out with Batiste. I started covering my face with a washcloth when I sprayed dry shampoo and it helped tremendously!

Hair Romance June 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Great tip Kristen!

Abby June 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm

The tip about letting the product set in is very important. Most women tend to get a little to excited to style up their hair – give it time to do its work! Maybe that is one of the reasons for some of the criticism the product is getting. :)

Cybele June 9, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Great tips. I need to try this dry shampoo business again x

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 6:12 pm

You do, this is the perfect product for your fine hair. I’d even spray it in clean hair for some extra volume :)

Emma Too June 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I often spray it in before my shower in the morning and pop a shower cap on. By the time I’ve finished showering the dry shampoo has worked its magic.

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Genius idea!

Rebecca June 10, 2014 at 9:45 am

As a new mum I swear by dry shampoo… I used a cheap $2 brand from target for ages – gets from my past daily wash to up to 4-5 days b/w washes now! I couldn’t manage without it! I do have blonde hair so that makes it easier to use!

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I swear I don’t know how I used to live without it!

Andrea June 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Ugh I needed ALL of this – had NO idea! Thanks C. xA

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Yay, glad I could help xx

Smaggle June 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I was indeed doing it wrong. I was spraying too close. Damn.

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 6:07 pm

And make sure you don’t brush it, just a little head massage for your curls x

Tara researching hair June 11, 2014 at 1:55 am

Wow no wonder it wasn’t working out well for me. Thank you for the tips :) Also love your blog!

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Tara

sophie June 11, 2014 at 4:01 am

I use dry shampoo regulary and if I know my hair might possibly in the morning due to not washing I spray a good amount on before I go to sleep. By the time I wake up there is no white marks and my hair doesnt look greasy

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I love the idea of doing it before bed. I’m going to try it tonight :)

BeeBee June 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

.. I must be living under a rock, why have I not hear of this before?! I must get some, this could be just what I need to save washing my hair when I have straightened it, allowing me to have straight hair for longer. Thanks … its on my shopping list :)

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 5:55 pm

It will change your life BeeBee! :)

Claire June 11, 2014 at 6:14 pm

My curly goes fuzzy and flat when I sleep on it.Please do you have hints to share on how to get back curly without having to wet and blow dry?

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Hi Claire, I always clip up my hair when I sleep and I wrote some tips here – http://www.hairromance.com/2013/11/the-secret-to-waking-up-with-great-curly-hair.html. It makes a huge difference to how my hair looks in the morning. Hope this helps x

Claire June 11, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Thankyou I will try that, my hair dryer and I need to spend less time together

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Thanks Claire! What are you going to do with all that spare time now you can cut back on blowdrying?

Jessica June 11, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Yeah, this might be great for girls with straight, fine, or even fine curly hair, but my hair is super thick, curly AND wavy. It’s tangled and knotted not 20min after I wash it if I don’t immediately braid it, and my scalp get oily with and without dry shampoo. Plus, because I have a sensitive scalp, all the chemicals in dry shampoo cause it to itch like crazy! I’d rather just have an oily scalp then a bunch of gunk in my hair that causes me to scratch like I have a bad case of head lice!

Hair Romance June 12, 2014 at 12:03 am

Hi Jessica, I would definitely avoid these products if you’re sensitive to them. I’m sure you already are using the right products, but make sure you use a gentle shampoo and don’t apply conditioner to your scalp.

Sarah June 11, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for these tips! I (foolishly) ignore the 20cm instructions on the can and wonder why I get left with spots haha! I like using Batiste’s tropical fragranced spray. :)

I like to pop some in on day 2-3 old hair at night, so it’s nice and fresh the next day!

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Thanks Sarah! I also love the tropical fragrance. The night time idea is genius!

Laura June 11, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Ooooohhh! Well, that makes sense! Yes, I was doing it all wrong – thanks for the tips :)
I suppose it would take up too much room, but they should print your advice on the back of the can – maybe then we would follow directions and get it right the first time ;)

Hair Romance June 11, 2014 at 11:54 pm

I agree Laura, so many products don’t have clear instructions! Glad these were helpful :)

Becky June 12, 2014 at 1:16 am

Have you ever used cornstarch as a DIY dry shampoo? I have light brown hair, so I mix actually cornstarch and cocoa powder to get a shade close to my hair. Then I use an old round makeupbrush to apply to my roots!

Hair Romance June 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

That’s a great idea Becky, and I bet it smells great with the cocoa too!

Melody June 12, 2014 at 6:13 am

I knew these tips already because they were on the first can of dry shampoo I bought, BUT, it did take me a few tries to find a brand that worked for me. I have super oily, fine hair, so I can’t use just any dry shampoo, most of them weigh it down. Psssst! works really well for me, which is a huge relief. I had to wash my hair every day before I found it!

Hair Romance June 12, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the tip Melody! I haven’t tried PSssst but I hear great things about it. I’ll have to get some next time I’m in the US x

Kimberly June 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

Awesome article!!! Thanks for the tips!

Hair Romance June 12, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Kimberly! x

Sonia from Sonia Styling June 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

Whoops! As a bit of a dry shampoo addict, I’ve clearly been doing it wrong. I’ve just learnt that I need to hold the can further away and to leave it for a minute before brushing out. Thanks hun!

Hair Romance June 13, 2014 at 4:20 pm

glad I could help! xx

Diane Carnahan June 20, 2014 at 4:02 am

First of all, I love your website! You have saved me many times with some of the quick up-dos!

Next, I love the Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo Spray. I keep an extra bottle on-hand at all times! It is very inexpensive and smells great. I have my sister addicted to it, as well. She has very thick straight, darker hair, and I have hair very much like your hair. Although, I think your hair is thicker than mine.

Anyway, LOVE your site! Keep the new ‘dos’ coming!

DC

Hair Romance June 20, 2014 at 8:13 am

Thanks so much DC! xx

nasubi June 22, 2014 at 8:45 pm

How many days can you use dry shampoo for? For example, I usually use it when I don’t have time to wash it. Can I use it for a second day as well? I’ve never tried it and am curious.

Hair Romance June 22, 2014 at 10:56 pm

You sure can Nasubi. It depends on your hair but I can push my hair a few extra days with dry shampoo. I find that using a minimum amount of product lets me push it another day or two. Once you have too much dry shampoo in your hair it can feel chalky. Give it a try and see how you go, worst thing is you have to wash your hair instead.

Pamela June 29, 2014 at 4:52 am

I used Klorane nonaerosol. Only dry shampoo I’ve ever used and I love it. I order it thru drugstore.com. It’s from France. I can go quite a while without washing and using it as a styling tool. Thanks everyone for their input.

Hair Romance June 29, 2014 at 12:44 pm