3 mistakes you’re making with dry shampoo

Hair Romance - 3 mistakes you're making with dry shampoo I can’t live without dry shampoo. If you can’t live without it, I think you’re doing it wrong. Dry shampoo is the reason I can go for days without washing my hair. It means I can get my updos to stay in clean hair and I can create texture in my hair. It’s one of my favourite styling products. I often think the name “dry shampoo” is what puts people off. Stop thinking of it as “shampoo”. Dry shampoo is a styling product. It has the effect of absorbing some excess sebum on the scalp, but really it’s a texturising product. Dry shampoo is never going to give you that clean feeling back. But the fresh scent and extra volume boost it does give you means you don’t need to wash your hair today. That makes me happy. So if you’re not loving dry shampoo, you could be making one of the following mistakes.

3 mistakes you’re making with dry shampoo

1. Spraying it too close to your hair. Hold the can at arms length and lightly spray your hair. The label says minimum 20cm, but even further back is good. You want a light, even spray on your hair. Holding the can too close will leave you with white spots in your hair.
  2. Using too much product. Just as spraying it too close to your head is bad, so is using too much product. Leaving white lines in your hair is not the idea. You want a light, even spray. You really shouldn’t see any bright white marks (depending on the brand). If your hair is really oily, wait and do another application after the first has absorbed. The great thing with dry shampoo is you can layer it, without fear of overdoing it.
  3. Not waiting a minute before brushing. After applying dry shampoo, you really need to let it work its magic. Leave it for a minute to absorb. Any powder marks should disappear in this time. Then lightly brush your hair to distribute any excess product and your hair will look so much fresher.

Curly hair tip: Don’t brush out your dry shampoo! We all know brushes and curls can create frizz. Instead, use your fingertips to massage in any excess product and distribute it through your hair.

Shop my faves

Do you love dry shampoo? What’s your favourite brand? Are you guilty of making any of these mistakes when using dry shampoo?

Comments

I’ve just got some Batiste with red for my new hair. Hope these tips help for next time you use it x

1. Emma says

I have quite sensitive skin & when I use Batiste, I would get a small rash/breakout so I swapped to Klorane & haven’t had the same issue.
    I read somewhere that it’s also better to use it the night before, not the day …. Haven’t done this though. Thoughts?

I haven’t heard that before Emma but it could work. I sleep with my hair clipped up so would restyle it in the morning anyway. Let me know how it goes if you try it

• Kristen says

I love spraying my hair the night before! It has helped hold it up even through a run in the morning. And most of it absorbs in the night.

2. says

The tip about letting the product set in is very important. Most women tend to get a little to excited to style up their hair – give it time to do its work! Maybe that is one of the reasons for some of the criticism the product is getting. :)

You do, this is the perfect product for your fine hair. I’d even spray it in clean hair for some extra volume :)

3. Emma Too says

I often spray it in before my shower in the morning and pop a shower cap on. By the time I’ve finished showering the dry shampoo has worked its magic.

4. Rebecca says

As a new mum I swear by dry shampoo… I used a cheap $2 brand from target for ages – gets from my past daily wash to up to 4-5 days b/w washes now! I couldn’t manage without it! I do have blonde hair so that makes it easier to use!

5. says

I use dry shampoo regulary and if I know my hair might possibly in the morning due to not washing I spray a good amount on before I go to sleep. By the time I wake up there is no white marks and my hair doesnt look greasy

6. BeeBee says

.. I must be living under a rock, why have I not hear of this before?! I must get some, this could be just what I need to save washing my hair when I have straightened it, allowing me to have straight hair for longer. Thanks … its on my shopping list :)

7. Claire says

My curly goes fuzzy and flat when I sleep on it.Please do you have hints to share on how to get back curly without having to wet and blow dry?

8. Jessica says

Yeah, this might be great for girls with straight, fine, or even fine curly hair, but my hair is super thick, curly AND wavy. It’s tangled and knotted not 20min after I wash it if I don’t immediately braid it, and my scalp get oily with and without dry shampoo. Plus, because I have a sensitive scalp, all the chemicals in dry shampoo cause it to itch like crazy! I’d rather just have an oily scalp then a bunch of gunk in my hair that causes me to scratch like I have a bad case of head lice!

Hi Jessica, I would definitely avoid these products if you’re sensitive to them. I’m sure you already are using the right products, but make sure you use a gentle shampoo and don’t apply conditioner to your scalp.

9. says

Thanks for these tips! I (foolishly) ignore the 20cm instructions on the can and wonder why I get left with spots haha! I like using Batiste’s tropical fragranced spray. :)

I like to pop some in on day 2-3 old hair at night, so it’s nice and fresh the next day!

10. Laura says

Ooooohhh! Well, that makes sense! Yes, I was doing it all wrong – thanks for the tips :)
    I suppose it would take up too much room, but they should print your advice on the back of the can – maybe then we would follow directions and get it right the first time ;)

11. Becky says

Have you ever used cornstarch as a DIY dry shampoo? I have light brown hair, so I mix actually cornstarch and cocoa powder to get a shade close to my hair. Then I use an old round makeupbrush to apply to my roots!

12. says

I knew these tips already because they were on the first can of dry shampoo I bought, BUT, it did take me a few tries to find a brand that worked for me. I have super oily, fine hair, so I can’t use just any dry shampoo, most of them weigh it down. Psssst! works really well for me, which is a huge relief. I had to wash my hair every day before I found it!

Thanks for the tip Melody! I haven’t tried PSssst but I hear great things about it. I’ll have to get some next time I’m in the US x

13. Diane Carnahan says

First of all, I love your website! You have saved me many times with some of the quick up-dos!

Next, I love the Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo Spray. I keep an extra bottle on-hand at all times! It is very inexpensive and smells great. I have my sister addicted to it, as well. She has very thick straight, darker hair, and I have hair very much like your hair. Although, I think your hair is thicker than mine.

Anyway, LOVE your site! Keep the new ‘dos’ coming!

DC

14. nasubi says

How many days can you use dry shampoo for? For example, I usually use it when I don’t have time to wash it. Can I use it for a second day as well? I’ve never tried it and am curious.

You sure can Nasubi. It depends on your hair but I can push my hair a few extra days with dry shampoo. I find that using a minimum amount of product lets me push it another day or two. Once you have too much dry shampoo in your hair it can feel chalky. Give it a try and see how you go, worst thing is you have to wash your hair instead.

15. Pamela says

I used Klorane nonaerosol. Only dry shampoo I’ve ever used and I love it. I order it thru drugstore.com. It’s from France. I can go quite a while without washing and using it as a styling tool. Thanks everyone for their input.

• Becca says

I’ve used the klorane nonaerosol for years! It’ the best! I keep trying other brands, cause maybe something new and improved will come out and I don’t want to miss out on it. So I use them twice and hate them! Then I’m back to old faithful. It really is fantastic and I love how when you squeeze the bottle the product puffs out in a little cloud. I highly recommend it!

16. says

I’ve only ever tried a dry shampoo I found on sale & the smell was so bad I covered it up with leave in conditioner, which kind of defeated the point of it all…

give it another try Vanessa! Klorane has a very simple fragrance and it excellent. Or Batiste has a range of fragrances, I quite like the tropical one x

17. Lydia says

I keep hearing about the value of dry shampoo just lately. I must give it another go as I guess technology has probably moved on. I haven’t used it for about 40 years and in those days it was like pouring talc on. It left your hair grey, needing a lot of brushing and it smelled absolutely horrible in fact so bad that I usually ended up washing it anyway!