Curly hairstyle tutorial – rolled headband updo

by Hair Romance on June 11, 2014 · 11 comments

in Curly Hair,Tutorials

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle tutorial - headband roll

Today’s tutorial is really easy and quick and perfect for messy curly hair days.

That’s pretty much the trifecta for hairstyles that I can do in the morning – easy, fast & no prep needed.

This hairstyle has been on high rotation for me. Following on from last week’s curly hairstyle tutorial I thought I’d share more hairstyles in curly hair. I’ve already got one ready for next Tuesday.

Hair Romance - curly headband updo

You may recognise this hairstyle as it’s very similar to my chic rolled updo tutorial. I thought I’d shoot the tutorial again in my curly hair to show you it can work in all different hair types.

Curly hairstyle tutorial – rolled headband updo

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle tutorial - rolled headband upstyle

Step-by-step

You’ll need: An elasticated headband that will sit firmly around your head and a couple of bobby pins.

1. Place your headband over your hair. Push it down so that it sits low around your head, below the occipital bone (that’s the bone that curves in at the back of your head).
  2. Tuck your hair around the headband. Take 1-2 inch sections of hair, starting near your ear, and curve them around. Tuck the ends of your hair underneath the headband and keep tucking your hair in until it forms a roll.
  3. Finish tucking in your hair at the back. Work from each ear back and finish the roll by tucking in the last section at the back of your head. This helps to create a more uniform and even roll.
  4. You can use some bobby pins to keep the style in place. Leave your bangs or front layers loose or you can pin then back into the roll too.

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle tutorial - easy headband roll

Styling Tip

• If you want better curls on the second day, try my “pineapple” trick for curly hair.
  • The headband choice is the most important part of this hairstyle. Choose a headband that is partly elasticated so it’s easier to tuck your hair inside.
  • If your headband is slipping, place some bobby pins across the headband to hold it in place in your hair.

Hair Romance - curly hairstyle tutorial - the headband roll

What’s your trick for making second day curls look good? What hairstyles do you wear when your hair is a mess?

yojo June 12, 2014 at 7:35 am

Very nice!! The roll part at the back looks like the main character from Casablanca’s ‘do !

Hair Romance June 12, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Thanks yojo! x

Georgia June 12, 2014 at 8:28 am

I really want to try this style but my hair is very long and am worried that I will not be able to tuck all my hair into the headband and look as neat. Do you have any suggestions and tips to replicate this style for long hair?

thanks.

gxx

Hair Romance June 12, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Hi Georgia, it definitely works in long hair. Or try it with a bandana like in this tutorial – http://www.freckled-fox.com/2014/04/festival-hair-week-easy-headscarf-roll.html You’ll love Emily of The Freckled Fox as she had super long hair and does some gorgeous tutorials

Steph June 13, 2014 at 9:57 am

I tried this today, nice and easy except I struggled to get the sides looking nice. I have very thick hair and there was a lot to tuck in and my roll is a lot bulkier than yours! Especially cos this was with my ‘been worn in a bun for 3 days’ knotted waves lol. I think if I practise I can get the sides better. I am impressed how well it stays in though with no pins. I used a thick stretchy lace headband with a bow on the front :) I’d post a pic here if I could…

Hair Romance June 13, 2014 at 11:21 am

oh I wish you could post a pic Steph! You can always send it to my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HairRomance :)

Evangeline June 13, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I created a similar hairstyle a few weeks ago (although I must admit yours looks a million times better!)

Hair Romance June 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Love your headband in that tutorial Evangeline!

Dana June 24, 2014 at 2:16 am

This has been my go-to style for about a year. I sometimes jazz it up by puttung a scarf or wide headband on top. I just tie it under the twist in the back. I get asked for a how-to nearly everytime. I’ll be directing them to this page. Thanks!

Hair Romance June 24, 2014 at 3:20 am

Thanks Dana! Love the addition of a scarf to this style x