Curls Week – Curly Top Knot Hairstyle Tutorial

by Hair Romance on July 7, 2014 · 30 comments

in Curly Hair,Tutorials

Welcome to a week celebrating curly hair!

Curls Week - Hair Romance

This is the start of a new series on Hair Romance that will focus on different hair types and hair colours. First up is curly hair!

I love my curls.

But it took a long while for me to say that.

My curly hair used to frustrate me. Now, after lots of trial and error and expert advice, I’ve learnt so much about curls.

Hair Romance celebrates all hair types but this week the focus is just on curls. I’ll be sharing curly hair tutorials, the best products for curls and curly tips and tricks.

Hair Romance - curly hair tutorial - the top knot tutorial

First up for Curls Week is this curly top knot hairstyle tutorial.

I love wearing my curls out but it’s not always practical. For work, or on hot days, this top knot is a fun way to keep your curls under control.

It’s true that I have a lot of hair but there’s also a little secret inside my bun. A little something extra to really make this statement style.

Curly Top Knot Hairstyle Tutorial

Hair Romance - the curly top knot hairstyle tutorial

You’ll need:

• Hair bungee or hair elastic
  • Donut bun padding
  • Bobby pins
  • Optional: Leave-in conditioner and hairspray

Step-by-step

1. Gather your hair into a high ponytail. Don’t use a brush. Instead use your fingertips to align your curls and smooth any bumps down.
  2. Secure your pony with a hair bungee or hair elastic.
  3. Pad out your bun. Use a hair donut around the base of your ponytail to create the perfect bun shape.
  4. Cover your donut. Tilt your head forward and fan out your hair over the donut. Then twist your hair around and tuck the ends under the donut.
  5. Pin in place with bobby pins and finish with a spritz of hairspray if you want extra hold.

Shop the post for all the products you need here:

Hair Romance - curly hair styling tips - the top knot tutorial

Styling Tips

• Loosen up! You don’t want your hair to sit too tightly against your head. Use your fingertips to pull back your hair and ease any tight spots.
  • Frizz? If your second days curls are looking frizzy, spritz them with a leave in conditioner before you begin. If you’re still worried about flyaways then finish with a spritz of hairspray.
  • Do you have too much hair? That’s a good problem to have! You can skip the hair donut and just loosely twist your hair around to form the bun. Not too tight though as you don’t want to crush your curls.

Hair Romance - how to style a curly top knot

I’m wearing this top, these earrings and this lippie.

Are you excited about Curls Week? It’s the start of a new themed series on Hair Romance where I’ll focus on different hair colours and types.

Let me know your curly hair questions in the comments below. You can also suggest a theme for a week you’d like to see too!

Casey July 7, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Love this look. I always wanted to know how to perfect a donut bun in curly hair; cheers for the tips!! // timidlioness

Hair Romance July 7, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Thanks Casey! xx

Linette July 7, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I am so excited about curly hair week! I’m from Denmark, an over here it seems like curls is a non-spoken-topic because those who have curly hair wants straight hair and then the opposite, so people just leave the topic with straight hair styles. But I’m one of those who just looove my curls but don’t know what to do with them, so deeply thank you for these post’s. It’s a super help! :-)

Hair Romance July 7, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Thanks Linette! Hope you enjoy the rest of this week’s posts :)

Marta July 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I love this look! I looove buns!!!!

Hair Romance July 8, 2014 at 12:52 am

Thanks Marta :)

Sheetal July 7, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I have a question. My hair isn’t really curly or has a lot of volume, but they are a bit curly.
After a Day the curls are looking very frizzy. And they are more wavy after a day. It doesn’t looks very pretty. Do you have some tips for me for less frizz and that the curls are holding longer?

Hair Romance July 8, 2014 at 12:51 am

Try a leave in conditioner to refresh your curls. My hair also gets frizzy after a day or two and that’s when I wear it up in a braid or bun :)

Jessica July 8, 2014 at 2:46 am

I love your curly hair posts! I’m so excited about this week! My main curly hair issue is flatness on the top, I usually air dry, but even when I diffuse, it’s either frizzy on top but with crazy volume or it doesn’t help at all. What am I doing wrong?

Hair Romance July 8, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi Jessica, I think you’ll like my next post as I have a couple of solutions for this… It’s such a common problem that most curly girls experience x

Handmade by Lorna July 8, 2014 at 3:49 am

This style looks lovely – I am such a scruff that and in a rush that I always opt for a ponytail on frizzy hair days, but this looks like even I could do it. I am going to buy a donut and give it a try. Great tutorial.

Hair Romance July 8, 2014 at 9:47 am

Thanks Lorna! This is so easy, and hides away the frizz so much better than a ponytail. I think you’ll love it x

shannon July 8, 2014 at 7:30 am

thanks!!! I have a donut…now I will try it!
s.

Hair Romance July 8, 2014 at 10:05 am

Thanks Shannon :)

Anna July 8, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Yes!! I love your curly tutorials and tips! Something I would enjoy seeing you post about is how to style curls overnight (i.e. how to wash at night and still get somewhat presentable-looking curls by the next morning =P) for mornings when you know you’ll need to rush. Looking forward to this week’s upcoming posts!

Hair Romance July 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Anna! I wrote this post about how to wake up with great curly hair. You could also try sleeping with your hair in a French braid to create waves in the morning. My hair just becomes really frizzy though. If I can sleep with it clipped up like in my post it still looks good the next day. Hope this helps xx

Anna July 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Ah, thank you! Love that post. =) Any tips for taking a shower literally right before going to bed and waking up with hair that isn’t all squashed and flat at the roots?

Alison July 10, 2014 at 12:29 am

Love this website. Any suggestions on good products to use? I have thinner hair and mostly curly. When I leave it down by mid day it looks frizzy and un-kept. Thanks for your suggestions. Alison

Hair Romance July 10, 2014 at 6:58 am

Thanks Alison! I have a new post tomorrow with lots of products suggestions and here are some other products I love http://www.hairromance.com/2013/02/three-awesome-products-for-curly-hair.html

Nicole July 10, 2014 at 1:20 am

So cute! I love your curly tutorials. I’ve been curious about the hair bungees… I have very fine/thinnish curly hair. Do you think these will hold? I love the idea of not having to pull my curls flat to fit through an elastic.

Hair Romance July 10, 2014 at 7:00 am

Thanks Nicole! Yes bungees are great as you can adjust them to fit your hair no matter the thickness. You can also DIY your own hair bungee by putting two bobby pins on opposite sides of a hair elastic. I have a post coming up on this too :)

Nicole July 10, 2014 at 7:42 am

I’m staying tuned! =)

Zoe July 10, 2014 at 6:45 am

Not a question for me but my 10 yr old. She has very thick blonde curly hair. I have no idea what the best shampoo/cond to use without costing a fortune. I recently tried an organic coconut oil treatment and it did wonders but not practical for everyday. I find her hair is super knotty underneath. She has to wear her hair tied up for school as well.

Hair Romance July 10, 2014 at 7:26 am

Hi Zoe, look for a sulphate free shampoo. L’oreal Everpure is good and not too expensive. Focus on the scalp and gently massage the roots but you don’t need to shampoo the ends of her hair. Always use conditioner and comb away any knots at this point. At night, clip her hair up on top of her head. This will stop it getting more tangled in her sleep. You can also braid it while it’s wet as a protective hairstyle to avoid knots. Hope this helps xx

Zoe July 11, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Thank you! I have seen that shampoo at my local woolies so will get some on my next shop. I think I need to learn how to braid.. thats this weekends job!!

Anna July 11, 2014 at 7:03 am

I thought my curly hair was a problem and I used to always make a pony tail, but maybe your tutorials will help me. I love the top knot tutorial you made. The color of your hair is beautiful just as your curls! I can’t wait to see more tutorials! :)

Hair Romance July 11, 2014 at 9:38 am

Thanks so much Anna! Even my tutorials in straight hair look awesome with curls xx

Daniela Magacho July 17, 2014 at 8:01 am

Hi! I’m from Brazil, and I found this page by chance.
Love your posts, and I’m learning to take care and enjoy every day more of my curly hair. Thank you! Kisses.

Hair Romance July 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Thank you so much Daniela! xx