Big Hair Friday – Ponytails

by Hair Romance on September 5, 2014 · 11 comments

in Big Hair

The Beauty Department - big hair ponytail

Happy Big Hair Friday!

This has to be one of the biggest ponytails I’ve ever seen!

Lucy Hale’s hair looks amazing, as spotted on The Beauty Department’s Instagram account. I’m hoping they’ll do a tutorial soon but I’d still need extensions to get my ponytail to look this big.

UPDATE: You can find the gorgeous tutorial for this ponytail here!

How big can you get your ponytail? Is it Big Hair Friday worthy?

August September 5, 2014 at 11:07 am

Speaking of pony tails, can you show us how to do this one? http://indulgy.com/post/Zk3J1hKaX2/ponytail-hairstyle-side-lace-braid-ponytai (If I linked it right, it should be the first hairstyle on that page.

Hair Romance September 7, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Hi August, is that the lace braided ponytail? Looks great and I can definitely shoot a tutorial for that. You section off the front of your hair for the braid . A lace braid is like a French braid but you only add in hair from one side. In this case it’s from the hairline side. You tease your hair at the crown (and probably use some volumising powder) to get a big ponytail and then wrap the braid around it x

August September 12, 2014 at 9:11 pm

That’s the one. I’ve tried it, but I could get the lace braid to sit in the right spot. I really enjoy your site. I’ve been reading for a few years and have one of your books.

Hair Romance September 13, 2014 at 7:48 am

Thanks so much August! I think the trick to getting the braid right is to angle it back towards your ponytail (which can be tricky to do in your own hair – that’s why they have someone else doing this style). Let me have a try and see if I can figure out a way to do it ;)

Smaggle September 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Oh I wish I had enough to do this… will have to try teasing it actually…

Hair Romance September 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

and use some volumising powder!

JMM September 5, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I need the tutorial! I have enough hair to probably do this easily, but my problem becomes my hair is so heavy, I get a headache from the ponytail. How do you secure it so it doesn’t hurt?

Hair Romance September 7, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I’ve just updated it with a link to the tutorial :) Sorry I don;t have any solutions for the headaches. That used to happen to me and I just got a haircut x

Elizabeth September 7, 2014 at 12:08 am

I feel like there’s a trick to this one…like maybe a small donut in the middle with most hair left outside and teased/styled around it maybe?

Brenda Dunlap September 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm

This style isn’t that hard. Just use a volumizing product in your hair before you blow dry it and tease it up big. If you have problems, the next time you have your hair trimmed, have your stylist show you how to do it.

Hair Romance September 7, 2014 at 10:08 pm